Which Power Plant to Buy?

That is ~ 17 amps. Do you have it on a 15 amp circuit and has the circuit breaker ever tripped?

As a practical matter, such peaks are quick transients in the exceedingly rare circumstance they occur (you would need to be listening tremendously loud with a difficult load to max out the Bryston). The PowerPlants are capable of supplying tremendous transient current.

Edit: Paul beat me, with a better response. :slight_smile:

I have two 30 amp circuits that go exclusively to my audio system. Never tripped a breaker. When I asked the builder for that, I believe he thought I was going to start a welding business in my lower level.

Thanks Paul & Elk!

Two 30 amp circuits should meet any audio need, shy of a metal band stadium performance.

Just out of curiosity I checked the P10/P5 product pages and discovered the P10 is currently not available, but will be again in April. Presumably this will be the new version. P5 are still available, but no mention of limited availability or the new version. For those on the fence about a P5 now is the time to make a decision! At this point I’m going to wait until April. I am missing my P500 though …

I did not notice this. You are sharp of eye.

Anyone in the know, what the new revised P10 will cost?

I’d be interested in mainly 3 very basic questions:

1. what’s a rule how strong a regenerator must be for which power consumption or delivery of components incl. power amps if I want to connect every component to it without dynamic limitations?

2. what’s the difference in regenerator concepts and what makes a PSA one special compared to others?

3. A regenerator‘s price is big. This money add. spent on other component quality makes quite a difference. Is there any other option to check for a worthwhile effect (even in an already otherwise optimized power supply surrounding) than to try one out?

1. I find if you stay within about 70% of the unit’s max you’re not going to suffer any compression.

2. Most every other regenerator I am familiar with is based on a class D output amplifier. This is fine for power factors of 1 (like a light bulb) but not so good for stereo equipment. The problem is class D amplifiers cannot easily deliver high peak current. Power Plants are required to supply up to 50 or so amps (for a very short period of time) at the peak of the sine wave. This ability eliminates AC waveform flat top clipping by filling in the missing energy. If one uses a Class D then the opposite happens and you get a divot at the peak of the sine wave.

3. I don’t really understand this question. Yes, they are expensive to buy (and to build) which is just what happens with all those heat sinks, massive power transformers, chassis and output devices needed.

I believe he is asking if there is any way to determine whether a PowerPlant will make a meaningful improvement in a system without physically installing one and trying it out.

Thanks Paul!

So let’s say if my power amp has let’s say 2x300 W@ 4 Ohm (which is not impulse, correct?) and the rest of the setup pulls add. 400W, then I need a regenerator with 700 W delivery…or do I need the capability of impulse power delivery?

And ELK is right…my question is, if i.e. there’s a way to measure power line noise or similar to determine if a regenerator is just a nice to have or a must have…or if it’s only nice to have in case I’m already away from an automatic circuit breaker on a separate power line and not living in a tightly populated part of a town etc.

I live in a heavily wooded area, with my nearest neighbor a quarter mile away, and have my own power transformer. THD in is currently 2.2% with output at 0.1%. Voltage in 118V; out, 120V. My guess is this is pretty tame in light of what PowerPlants see in the wild.

Yet, my PowerPlant makes a significant improvement. It introduces a sense of ease and clarity. The system feels more powerful even though it is not playing any louder.

Perhaps a good analogy is driving a very powerful car at 60 MPH uphill. It happily purrs along steadily, while you can feel it will easily obtain triple digits with the slightest encouragement.

Thanks ELK.
Yes I’m sure there’s always such improvement at least. Talking about a 10k investment for such a regenerator, I just think how big an improvement of a +10k preamp etc would be in comparison. I have a guess, but will have to try out a reasonable regenerator myself I think.

By the way: I’m not notified of answers yet in the new forum.

A good question. I think of a PowerPlant like cables, a meaningful tweak but not fundamental as a major component. A PowerPlant adds a final polish. I am unable to construct an absolute rule of thumb, but generally I would put the money into a component first.

The difficulty is that one is not starting with no preamp when considering a $10k unit, but probably already a very good one. Whether replacing a $5k pre with a $10k pre, or putting $5k into a PowerPlant will have greater impact is a crap shoot. On the other hand, if you know you have crummy power and are plugging everything into the wall, perhaps power regeneration will make a bigger difference. I’m afraid it is a try it and see issue.

Regarding notifications all I can suggest is to check your preferences and to restart your browser. Ironically, I prefer receiving no notifications but cannot get all of them to stop.

Yeah, we’re trying to figure out how to get emailed replies back. I got none this morning.

Yes ELK, although in my experience cabling can be on of the most important parts, I understand that the more normal case is it’s comparison with a power plant. And I agree, th regenerator effect you describe is quite exactly what happens when introducing a separate power line or active speakers…more immediacy and ease of power and dynamics. I will have to try one and find out which one‘s sufficient.

My guess is you will find the PowerPlant to make a tremendous difference if you find cabling to be one of the most important components of a system.

Agree with Elk about the Power Plant being a finishing touch. My P10 was one of the final pieces of my current system. It just brings a smoothness to my system. Everything just seems warmer and more effortless (going to look hard at the new P10 BTW).

A disclaimer, I don’t hear much difference between mutiwave and much of the P10 nuance discussed in these threads.

Will the P5 fans be totally silent? I’m quite sensitive to that kind of stuff. Do you have dB rating for them?

Yes, I own two of them on 1 rack. They are about the same db as a laptop

Thanks for the reply! So not bad at all and hopefully not audible.