Wifi streaming adapter frustration (Suggeston for PS Audio)

I too am having some frustration finding a WiFi streaming device to suit my needs. I have a SGCD and a S300. My goal is to stream music wirelessly from Apple music, Tide, Pandora etc. over WiFi. I prefer to be able to bypass any DAC that is contained in the streaming device and have the signal go directly through the SGCD. Is there a simple device that will get me to where I want to go? I read through this entire thread and only became more confused about different options. Specific device recommendations would be most helpful. I am a noob and just getting started, so be gentle LOL!

Well, after trying some raspberry pi type devices and Chromecast audio, i ended up with an SOtM sMS-200.
http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/

I highly recommend it. You can buy a compatible WiFi dongle and convert it to a WiFi streamer too.

1 Like

Budget and what are you going to use as streaming software and for a control device (iPad, iPhone, etc.)?

Budget is less than $300? I hope. I’ll be using iPhone and Mac book.

I still don’t understand what it is you’re trying to achieve, or the problem you’re trying to solve.

In that price range you are going to have to look for a used Bluesound Node or an Auralic Aries Mini unless you are comfortable putting together one of the Rasberry Pi kits and using Volumio as the software. The used Node should be easy to find but used Mini’s don’t come up often and sell in hours of listing.

I only listen to music through streaming Apple Music. I want to have the music go over WiFi (heard its better than Bluetooth) so I can sit on the other side of the room and control it. Also want to have the signal go through the SGCD.

I’ve heard that from another person too. I’ll look into both.

If you want to dip into raspberry pi territory,

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

I bought one, and it’s not bad. It ships directly from India, though.

You mean, you don’t currently have WiFi at home and need a WiFi hardware solution?

Brodric, man? lol

He’s something that can take a wifi signal and feed it to a DAC.

1 Like

So the DAC is not already WiFi or ethernet enabled? I still don’t get what the problem is.

Neither the Stellar GCD or DirectStream Sr have ethernet ports (nor do they have Wifi receivers). (Unless you have a Bridge for the Sr.), so you need some thing to grab the Wifi signal and feed it to the DAC via USB or TOSLINK or SPIDF.

Right. So he needs a WiFi enabled box with a digital output that connects to his other stuff?

Yep, so he can play music off of his computer, presumably in another room.

This was my post that resurrected this 8 month old thread.

I too am having some frustration finding a WiFi streaming device to suit my needs. I have a SGCD and a S300. My goal is to stream music wirelessly from Apple music, Tide, Pandora etc. over WiFi. I prefer to be able to bypass any DAC that is contained in the streaming device and have the signal go directly through the SGCD. Is there a simple device that will get me to where I want to go? I read through this entire thread and only became more confused about different options. Specific device recommendations would be most helpful. I am a noob and just getting started, so be gentle LOL!

That’s right. PS Audio did a back-flip on the “connected” in their “high performance home audio products” brand moniker. When it was discovered during Stellar development that they were dropping network support, and the point about “connected high performance home audio products” branding was made, they dropped “connected” from the brand moniker.

Can’t you just use an old MacBook Air connected via USB to the Stellar whatever and just AirPlay or stream from your whatever other iOS devices?

1 Like

I prefer not to convert any dongles. Any plus minuses to the 200?

I guess I could if I wanted a 10 foot USB cable. That kinda defeated my goal of streaming over WiFi. Thanks though.