Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

PST or Auralic Aries G1? I had planned to upgrade my Aries mini by the end of the year but now the PST sale has thrown a wrench in my plans :slight_smile:

Any suggestions? TIA.

Considering they are two entirely different devices it comes down to how much streaming one does compared to spinning SACD and/or CD. That said the Auralic G1 is very good but rather long in tooth. Whereas the PST represents current thoughts on SOTA in CD/SACD playback, currently offered at a reasonable discount. It comes down to what you value. Good luck with your decision as I don’t think you will be disappointed either way as both are solid products. Of course you could go for the Auralic G2.1, at a cost that is slightly more than the PST.

4 Likes

Choices!!

2 Likes

If it’s sound quality you’re after, then it’s a no-brainer, get the PST.
My former DMP sounded better than my former Aurender N10 server. The PST beats them both in SQ quite handily. And with this discount, like @aangen said “Can’t say no at that price.”

1 Like

Regarding sound quality, I have no doubts the PST will deliver. While I stream mostly (for convenience and evaluation), I do buy cds of music I like, and have also been buying SACDs recently in anticipation of owning a SACD player at some point in the future. It seems like the sale just moved that point forward.

I wish I had @aangen’s wallet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sohail, and then there is the after purchase cost of the PST, acquiring additional SACDs/CDs and providing space to store it all. With streaming it is all there for the taking. I agree though, sonically the PST is the better choice.

3 Likes

I will withhold my thoughts on your choice. I will say the Aries G1 struck me as having zero faults when I had one on loan in my system.

1 Like

I own two of them and I haven’t found a fault in over two years. Also the G1 is not long in the tooth at three years old. Plus if this is a consideration when recommending components why do the same group keep recommending the DS Sr. as it is long in the tooth at 8 years using this line of thinking with a replacement already announced. The PST may in fact be a great piece but only if it fits your needs.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong. You upgraded from the mini to the G1. Any thoughts on the difference in SQ.

I don’t think there’s been much recommending this past year. What I do recall is conversation on the long-term value of the DS due to the consistent upgrades and the anticipation that MK II will provide the same type of long-term value.

2 Likes

I own a Mini, a Femto and two G1’s. In each case a step up the line gets you a better power supply and faster processor. In the case of the two G series models this including an entirely new processing engine twice as powerful as the Femto with dual power supplies. The processing engine in the G1 and G2.1 is the same. The difference revolve around the case construction, isolation schemes and their dedicated I2S system for connection between Series 2 components. At the time I bought both G1’s the 2.1 was not out and at that point the main difference between the two was the case and the I2S the other circuit changes came in the .1 version. Same things were done with the Altair G2.1. Based on the reviews and impressions from other owners I did not see the value of spending twice as much for those few differences.

2 Likes

Sorry but that’s not true, even in the last couple of days. The simple solution to all of this is to stick to answering questions about components you own or have owned and not making judgements or statements about ones you have never seen or heard much less owned. This nonsense has been going on in the Holo May thread for months. I don’t know anything about the PWT as it doesn’t interest me but even if it is a great transport as others have reported that only matters if it fits the OP’s current need otherwise there is a great deal on an as new Jay’s in the Marketplace for half the sale price.

I must have not been clear. My comments were strictly focused on the DS. I apologize if I wasn’t clear.

1 Like

Both the Aries G1 and PSAudio’s PST fit my needs. Question is which do I buy first? I have 18 days to decide.

1 Like

The one you will use the most is how I would do it and did. But that’s me. And one’s still $1k less than the other.

1 Like

I have had the Auralic Altair G1 for about a year now and I thought it sounded great. I just bought the PST last month and was shocked how much better the CDs sounded. The PST is the best CD transport I have ever heard.

2 Likes

Agreed! I have the Altair G1 and I am not sure why they turned a great streamer into basically a preamp at twice the price. I do not see that much added value. They even added a phono stage to the G2.1. The only good news it will likely keep the used value high on the model I have.

I suspect the preamp addition was a reaction to Lumin’s Leedh processing added last year that allows their streamers to be used as a preamp. That case upgrade is probably worth at least half of the upgrade price. Again the PST may in fact be a truly great piece if you spin a lot of CD’s or own a fair number of SACD’s. I only own maybe a half dozen hybrid’s and 1200 or so CD’s but only spin them maybe half dozen times a month. So for now the Nuprime which is I2S compliant with my May and DS Sr. suffices. If I chose to upgrade it would be the Jay’s. Also nothing says I won’t pick up a used 2.1 if one shows up a a reasonable price.

(1) I don’t recommend the DSD Sr. or Jr. for that matter, both are long in tooth. Funds aside anybody considering one is best to wait it out for the DSD II.
(2) Regarding the Auralic G1 I consider it long in tooth as far as streamers go, especially compared to the Auralic G2.1, which is worth the extra coin.

That said, I have an INNuos ZENith MkIII, which I also consider long in tooth for a streamer/server. However, they continue to update its OS which as is the DSD, its one saving grace. I respect your opinion, we just differ.

2 Likes

How would you describe the Zenith vs. the G 2.1 sonically?

1 Like