Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

It’s really hard to explain the sound of my modded DS in my system. The sheer transparency and musicality. You really have to be here and listen yourself to understand it. Perhaps because it is tweaked so much in my system as each tweak made it sound better and better, it might be unique in my system only. It may not perform the same in another system. I may at another time, bring over my DS to my brother’s place and see if it sounds as good there. Might be interesting as I have not heard his new toy in his system yet.

2 Likes

That would be interesting to hear about: whether the synergies in your system transfer to his.

2 Likes

We added a high-efficiency AC unit 10 years ago. As a result, my audio system sucked for the next 8 years. Finally, I upgraded everything to PSA, and P15 made a drastic improvement for sure.

Still, when the AC is blasting cool air in the house the audio system seems not to like it as much as we do.

On a positive note… The new HVAC systems will be much more energy efficient over the old, so you will have excess monthly cash flow available for upgraded fuses, cords, etc. :laughing:

5 Likes

So a M-1 fuse for my Gryphon Ethos arrived today. When I went to install it I discovered that due to the true dual mono configuration I need two M-1 fuses to operate. So now I have to order the second one and wait for it to arrive.

I ordered two Synology M2 SSD cache drives. One arrived last week and I set it as a read cache. Today the second one arrived. I installed it and want to set it up as a write cache but the Synology operating system will not allow it. I guess I will have to deal with them to figure out how to get this working.

Also, a very kind soul on this forum sent me the proper Purple Fuse to put in my P20 so I can compare it to the sound with the M-1. I don’t think I will do that tonight the way my luck is running.

I am not impressed with Synology. No sir. Instead of using the elevators, they prefer to force their customers to do things the Batman way. Climb the side of the building with a rope. Bah!

Update: I figured it out. I had to remove the previously created Read Cache, then create a new read write cache. While doing so various boxes jumped up informing me this is not a good plan and I should reconsider. I am reconsidering my relationship with Synology. I think we are incompatible. Totally. I prefer Apple. Hell I prefer torture to Synology. Bah!

5 Likes

@aangen I was hoping after the two bad drives the rest of your journey with the Synology was going to be like a pontoon boat on glassy lake in early summer.

4 Likes

I am in the process of setting up a new Synology NAS and in doing research on compatible components, etc. I found information that said the reason that Synology forces you to use two M2 SSDs for a Read/Write cache is that if you had only a single M2 SSD for a Write cache and it failed during a Write operation, you would lose data. One of the purposes of a NAS used for business is to maintain data integrity, so this makes sense.

4 Likes

Question: what upgrade would you make to my system?

Innuos Zen MK3
Chord TT2 (running as DAC/pre)
PS Audio M700s
Focal Kanta 2

Cabling, fuses and support are well sorted. Is the obvious choice the M700 being upgraded?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received. I’m after something to shift my thinking out of my biases.

Cheers
Mick

Hello Mick…Foremost suggestion from me would be cleaning and purifying your ac. With that said… you will have to pick your own poison. Me? I’m a Shunyata fan boy through and through!

1 Like

Hello Mick
What about the sound of your system are you unhappy with?
Have you tried repositioning your speakers? You might find the answer to your question for free.

1 Like

He’s already using Isotek which is a good option.

1 Like

I use the Akiko Corelli conditioner. It’s wonderful.

I’m not unhappy! I’ve just found myself in the position to level up and I’m interested in some new ideas.

Are you unhappy with the 700’s and if so what do you think the obvious upgrade for them is? To me having owned a couple of amps based on Ice modules my choice would be a tube preamp and not necessarily the BHK as I have owned and sold one. Also a budget would help. Akiko or Isotek both good solutions and regenerators are not always an answer.

1 Like

Personally, I would invest in either a P15 or P20.

3 Likes

Indeed, but the cost here in Australia makes them less value. Pushing $17,000 now. The Akiko Corelli is going to stay for a long time, I’m that happy with it. I also live in a sparsely populated area and our power is very consistent.
I’d love to hear what a P20 and Corelli could do together.

1 Like

Well I’m not unhappy as such, just wondering how I continue my journey of resolution and soundstage. I adore the tonal balance and texture of my system, I do wonder what a higher class of amplifier could bring to the Kanta 2, and how much more it would let through of what the TT2 can do.

I would replace your amps. And since your speakers are fairly easy to drive, you just need to set a budget and then do your research.
I’m a long time Pass Labs fan and his XA25 would make a huge improvement.

2 Likes

I agree with Ron since you seem to be satisfied with your front end and power solutions the way they are. My current favorite at the moment is the Kinki Studio EX-M7 stereo amp but I suspect that in the near future it will be replaced by the EX-B7 mono amps. The EX-M7 replaced the BHK 250. A local friend just replaced his Ayre power amp with one this week.

Like Ron’s Pass suggestion a major step up from Icepower based amps. Also as they are Internet Direct much better pricing than Pass and service available in Texas.

2 Likes

I have only had Lyngdorf Class D amps. Still own one. It is a good standby. Most that dump their M700s don’t look back who post in this forum. The M700 seems to be an early stepping stone in the PSA line up past lower midfi selections.

That being said if you have exhausted your power options i ‘d try amps or cables.

My amps are refreshed but old. They do keep stepping up to any tweak thrown at them. If you still hear better sound quality in your high end stereo shops. Most shops do poor jobs with cables so the components if better than your current and you have equivalent cables sound go with what you like better in the amps.

1 Like

It seems it’s amplifiers as a general consensus. What do I want above abs beyond what the M700 can do? Transparency, detail and soundstage depth. Could it be as simple as moving to the M1200? Or do I need to go BHK250? 300?!?!