Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Definitely dishes out a tube circuitry head fake…

According to the designer/principle at AGD, its a Gallium Nitride MOSFET based power stage enclosed in a glass tube. It’s kind of cool to be able to look in and see all of the power stage bits and pieces standing up in the tube, like a ship in a bottle.

1 Like

My next upgrade is DIY. I am switching out some hand made maple/mdf shelves and platforms with
ones made of Cesarstone. I am lucky to know a fabricator. I hope the level surface and added mass will help. I will use spikes, absorbing pads, and the gear will have iso-pods. This all started when I put a forth pod under the components and it wasn’t very level. Hope it helps. It’s down to tweaking tweaks. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I use Caesar Stone under all of my amps. I think I paid $100 for each. All fabricators have scrap that they can cheaply repurpose.

3 Likes

I’ve recently invested in balanced power. My dual duty 2-ch and 5.4.4 multi-channel system is such a current hog that experimenting with PS Audio’s brand of re-generated power was both impractical and prohibitively expensive. My balanced power adventure began innocently enough. I purchased a bargain priced 15a Balanced Power Technologies unit from a fellow CAM forum member in the midst of down-sizing late last Fall. I used this new-to-me (but 20yr old-ish) unit on the new 20a isolated ground ac feed just installed for all the front-end gear in my rack. I already own a well regarded Foundation Research LC-1 power cord/conditioner on every source and pre-amplification component (10 of 'em) in that rack which I’ve used for 2 decades. I simply plugged all the LC-1s into the ridiculously heavy B-P-T BP2 and the B-P-T was plugged into the wall with the included 12g B-P-T branded power cord. The latter while hand made with hospital grade plugs and techflex braid, still looked pretty ho-hum. At the time of my purchase, the prior owner had noted that there were obvious benefits to be derived with a higher quality power cord…

After some A-B comparisons, alternating plugging all the LC-1s associated with the stereo gear into a Furutech power bar and back to the B-P-T, I decided that there were net benefits in clarity with the balanced power unit feeding the system. Nothing earth shaking but the image floated a little more freely with a minor upgrade in clarity. I traded the B-P-T branded cord for the $300-ish custom 10g Acoustic Tech power cord that previously fed the Furutech power bar. Well the more impressive looking larger gauge power cord dialed up the clarity another notch. Hmmm… I reached out to PartsConnexion, took advantage of a 25% off promotion and ordered a serious 1m custom power cable built with Furutech’s best DPS-4.1 cable and terminated with PCX branded Furutech knock-off plugs. A week later, the new cable was inserted between B-P-T and the Cardas in-wall duplex and my jaw literally dropped. No break-in, no warm-up and a no BS 10-15% increase in soundstage width, depth, and height. Some vocal sibilance that would occasionally flare up was simply gone. Well call me sold.

In the last several months I’ve managed to scrounge up an additional two B-P-T units, one used and one new built to order by the mostly-retired Chris Hoff. These two are both the 20a rated BP3.5 variants. Of course I bought two more matching huge pink Furutech flagship power cords to feed 'em. Each of these is fed from the two other separate new 20a lines at the front and rear of my room. My front trio of active ATCs with their Foundation Research LC-2 conditioning power cords and the front pair of Seaton Submersive HP subs occupy one unit. Four more LC-2s feeding the pair of ATC active surrounds and a pair of 200w/ch Meridian power amps (for the Atmos overheads), along with the rear pair of Submersives are plugged into the rear BP3.5. No flattening of dynamics, stunning “space between the notes” listen-through clarity, and the lowest electrical noise floor I’ve ever achieved at the speakers. Color me happy and convinced by the benefits of quality, high-current balanced power fed by premium power cables!

4 Likes

Distilled power, about 40% proof, -60dB noise reduction. Crystal clear and very tasty.

2 Likes

I was looking at those and decided to go with the M1200’s because of the trade they offered on my Nord One Up Monos, I am on my 6th class D amps

1 Like

You are a Class D veteran! And, apparently, a fan.

This is my first listen to a Class D amp outside of hearing some powering subwoofers (all three of my REL subwoofers feature Class D amps).

I am enjoying The Audion’s so far but need more time with them.

How do the “hybrid” M1200’s compare to your previous, favorite Class D amplifiers?

Cheers.

1 Like

Did the Nord have NCore?

Love them more open transparent, better decay (tubes) and sound staging

2 Likes

Yes the 500 boards with the most recent input boards, I think SParkos opamps

1 Like

I think the new ICE Edge provides both lower distortion when impedance changes during playback.

1 Like

I just got my PS SACD Transport over the weekend to replace my OPPO UDP-205 (Sold it a lot more than trade-in for sure). As good as the OPPO as a transport, the PST is in a different league when using the I2S connection. My goodness, within three hours of playing it already far exceeded OPPO, and it supposed has a minimum of 200 hours of breaking in.

My next upgrade? getting a really good HDMI cable between the PST and DS DAC.

5 Likes

So what would have been a big upgrade for me is yet to be achieved. Speakers! Ordered the Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III’s on March 4th to replace my aging Focal Chorus 826V’s. Patiently awaiting their arrival.

5 Likes

My most recent upgrade was expanding my listening space by blowing out a wall between the living room and the bedroom. Less need for bass treatment.

18 Likes

Very impressive looking system to say the least! The speaker cable looks like it could double as a weight lifting belt when moving that equipment around!

4 Likes

Where did you get that weenie little turntable?
It doesn’t fit.
Oh wait, MBL doesn’t make turntables.
Never mind.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one who used a chair in the listening room to store the dust cover during record plays.

3 Likes

That weenie little turntable looks like an Rega RP10, which proves that size doesn’t always matter.

So where do you sleep, or do you just listen to music all day and night?

1 Like

Does 12 years make me a Class D veteran, but I’ve only managed 3 amplifiers over 2 systems. 6 takes some doing. Prey tell?

1 Like

Close call on the Rega TT. It is an RP8 that is getting replaced by a Techdas 3 premium in a month or so. Sleep is overrated when you have the opportunity to spin vinyl. :smiley:

3 Likes