Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Add clarity and precision to the descriptors. :thinking:

One of three Grimm dealers is in your town? DESTINY!!!

1 Like

Some minor upgrades ahead, but with hopefully great inpact:

Transformer mod of the DS
Farad PSU for the analog board
Isoacoustics Gaia for speakers and sub

…will report…

3 Likes

I’ll be curious to hear about the Farad mod to the board.

The problem is…it will be good…but I will have no other comparison than with no external PSU;-)

But from what I read, measurement and sound wise, the Farad should be the best possible in terms of transparency, speed and accuracy. Others might go in a more voluminous and maybe even powerful direction.

I get the latest 2021 revision with Rhodium IEC connector and Level 2 copper DC cable (which was recommended from everyone including the developer to me over the silver).

Buchardt S300s are in the UK due for delivery tomorrow afternoon.

To say I’m excited is a crazy understatement, I’m a middle aged man behaving like a 5 year old at christmas!

8 Likes

Aurender N100SC. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

3 Likes

Hi jazznut, Does Farad make the connection cable from the board to the backplate then you just run from the back of the DSD to the Farad PSU? Thank you in advance

Farad makes the cable from the back plate to the PSU, the cable inside the DS to the back plate has to be custom built by the modder.

Ok thanks. I’ll be monitoring your results.

Just ordered the new Holo Audio Spring3 DAC. Apparently they have incorporated a lot of the features of the May DAC into the one box Spring3 (as much as I wanted the May, I did not want two boxes). Sounds like production time is one to two months so I have to learn patience…

1 Like

My Buchardt S300s arrived today, got them fitted and absolutely blown away what they give out for a small bookshelf speaker, really impressive!

12 Likes

I was just informed, that my 300W HDPlex LPS, ordered many, many month ago, is shipped! Wow, strange times.
The primary use will be to replace the internal SMPS of my beloved Aurender X100L. I searched some time for an affordable LPS, because the Aurenders SMPS is rated 8A at 12V DC. And there are not so many LPSs capable of delivering that high current. The HDPlex is rated 10A on the fixed 12V rail, so there should be enough headroom.
After that I will try to power my Matrix and also the analog board in the DSD with the HDPlex. Today I use two Farads for that and I am really curious to see how they will compare to the HDPlex. The journey never ends…

1 Like

This comparison will be very interesting!

If you now use a Farad for the analog board, could you tell your on/off procedure in the modding thread?

Hi Larry’s HDPlex business model is to bank orders and then to fill them. It took me a few months but it’s worth the wait! My 300W powers my Intel NUC, Roon Server, my Matrix, the power piggy, my EtherRegen, and my AfterDark 10Mz square Wave Clock. It does this effortlessly and barely breaks a sweat. It’s just warm to the touch.

2 Likes

Larry configured mine so the 19V high current fixed rail is fixed for 12V. I use it for the router since I had no use for the19V rail. It gives deep and powerful bas and eliminates noise elsewhere in my digital stream poweing an UltraRendu and matrix SPDIF2.

3 Likes

My latest upgrade was to build a new PC capable of HQPe DSD256 and ASDM7EC modulator with heavy CPU filters.

Success and oh boy what an upgrade over DSD256 with ASDM5EC modulator. Amazing what can be done in software these days.

7 Likes

Does this count?:

14 Likes

Absolutely!

No wine?