Your Next Upgrade? (Part 2)

You could well have a “buffer bloat” problem. I’ll suggest searching that term to familiarize yourself with the issue, and search on your router model to see if there are any settings that help reduce it.

Ironically, limiting an individual’s max connection speed typically is the solution to avoiding the conflict. Funny how a slower peak connection speed can speed up a shared connection.

Edit: here’s a decent link. It’s likely not your broadband speed that’s the problem.

1 Like

300Mbs is PLENTY. With Fiber you should have your own channel back to ATT router. Assuming that is not too busy you should be fine. That is the beauty of Fiber. I have 5 people in the house. At some point all 5 streaming Video/Audio. Never an issue. I do have a 1GB Fiber. They game too. I was fine with Cable at 350, but they were rip off so I moved to Frontier when they pulled the line down my street.

What are you streaming with? Sometimes the device can be bottleneck. PC overloaded with bloatware, or other background processes kicking off taking up CPU / Memory etc…

3 Likes

I believe for audio purposes 50mbs is safely in overkill territory. 300mps? No question that will do the job.

3 Likes

I had 300mbs, for music is no issue at all. But when my wife was watching Youtube or Netflex, and when my daughter was at home (her computer was on all time, and I assume it was for study or work). Everything slowed down!

I upgraded to 1000mbs. Everything speeded up again. Now, my daughter just graduated and will soon be working remotely. I just upgraded to unlimited data, and I know when she is around this is the way!

You might try restarting your router and modem once in a while. Sometimes that’s a fix for slow internet speeds.

3 Likes

Yeesh! When I read all what seems to me to be gobbledygook about streaming, I sure do like my records.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better!

1 Like

FWIW, I have 1gig AT&T fiber with Ubiquity long range access points and still get dropouts and low MBs in areas of my house. Fortunately, my system is three feet from the router/switch. Family can suffer.

7 Likes

When I moved the satellite from TV room to a couple of feet away from the streamer, I have not ever had a dropoff anymore. I do not feel any quilt since I am paying for it.

1 Like

My latest upgrade involves substituting Synergistic Level 3 XLRs for the Level 1 XLRs I had been using between my BHK Pre and the amazing Schiit Tyr monoblocks. Much more silver = greater weight and authority to the presentation. I even had to back off a couple of clicks on my three REL S/5 SHO subs. Fun!

1 Like

Quilty as charged!

4 Likes

Should we start a new thread, “We also love quilting”?

7 Likes

AT&T lies about fiber optic, when I had AT&T fiber optic installed the technician said it’s only in very limited areas and he installed coax. He also said he didn’t know why they even advertise it because most of their infrastructure isn’t fiber optic.

I love love love not doing business with AT$T.

4 Likes

Considering I have a rather robust 1GB ISP, I seriously doubt my internet connection was the issue.

Heck, even over wifi clear on the other end of the house, I manage over 530 Mbps. So back when I was running Roon, and now… Bandwidth has never been an issue, whether Roon believes that or not.

Just as a reference, the router is in the back of my listening room, which puts my Altair G1 roughly 8 ft away from the router.

I had 535 Mbps but still had a drop out with my Guzinta 485. I installed a Synergy Research (custom) Johnson Rod and that fixed it.

2 Likes

I said I was getting that 530 Mbps clear on the other end of the house, not in this room where the router and streamer are.

Again, it’s a moot point since I no longer use Roon, and don’t miss it one bit.

Well that was an interesting article. Thank you for sharing, now I have the heartbreak of bufferbloat …. I’ll have to watch the TV commercials closely for the one pill that cures it!

Anyway, I was able to sort of follow the article (I’m not an IT person), most of the terms were familiar and I could make sense of it. Well, that is until the last section - “You can have your cake”. In the previous section I followed the link to the waveform website and ran the bufferbloat test and got an “F”. But I tried so hard Mom and Dad … Where I’m stuck is the “fixing the issue” part. I’ve been having intermittent internet seemingly within the house (testing speed from gateway to the “internet” is always good). Using the on-line AT&T troubleshooter I got a replacement gateway which should have been an upgrade but it didn’t support wired TV receivers (U-Verse). Sent it back and got the same model I had originally and seem to still have issues (maybe I shouldn’t be surprised). I think this gateway is at least a five year old design and I can’t really modify the software in it, it belongs to AT&T. Even if I could modify it I’m pretty sure the software fixes would not be supported. So no solution there, right?

As an aside, I have an Orbi Mini (Main plus one satellite) that I’ve been using for a couple of years. I got it for better wi-fi coverage and it worked. Now, however, it’s getting flaky. I was running the Orbi and turned off the gateway wi-fi. Recently I have been running both to use AT&T on-line tools and things have been messy. I was told a while back to reconfigure the gateway into a particular mode (exclusive?) when using the Orbi. I tried that but the gateway said I was turning off the firewall. Did it for a few minutes then said “bad idea” and returned to original setup. Is there a solution hiding in the Orbi?

So now it appears I have an idea what the problem is, but how do I correct it with AT&T between me and the solution? I’ll add I hate AT&T too, but I see them as the lesser evil. My other choices are Comcast/XFinity or WOW. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Al - So who do use?

Baldy - I heard that a while back during a panel discussion on streaming at AXPONA. They said to do it daily! Now AT&T even suggests it, but every two to four weeks.

1 Like

I use T-Mobile 5G.
No droupouts.

I use Ethernet, not wireless.

3 Likes