1000 year ban from forum

I got banned until the implosion of the universe within a day of joining a site where measurements rule and everyone seems to have fug ugly monitors for company and heaven forbid you should buy something because you like how it sounds (something I learned to appreciate here). I wear my ban with honour.

1 Like

ā€œWhatā€™s so bad about peace, love and understanding ā€œ

After repeated warnings, he was silenced by our moderator, Elk.

2 Likes

Part of the process of having been in combat.

The other side of that being the waging of a one-man war on the DMP over literally years.

2 Likes

Since I listen to music only from discs, I would like to have the full functionality of my DMP, including playing Blu-ray Audio discs. Brodric had the same purpose to some extent. Unfortunately, I repeatedly thought that he was exaggerating the attack on PS Audio.
Music and audio equipment are important to all of us, but there are even more important things in life and we donā€™t have to be uncompromising in audio matters.

Wouldnā€™t there have to be an HDMI port to allow a monitor to be connected in order to navigate BD menus? Also, youā€™d need a controller, such as a remote handpiece, to make selections, no?
If there were the ability to attach a monitor to the DMP and use a better remote, would that solve the problem youā€™re having?

Brodric is alive and still not well. Heā€™s over on Audioshark. A few days ago someone mentioned a P20 and Brodric went on about PS Audio. If youā€™d listen to him, PS Audio has never shipped a functional product.

3 Likes

Lets not forget there was much that was good with Brodric and it wasnā€™t all bad. I might be in the minority but I certainly liked him and I miss him. And he helped many over the years on the forum when they asked for advice, etc. I enjoyed reading many of his posts, his exploits flying copters and his holiday cruise blogs, etc. Had good laughs with him. Whatever the consensus/feelings towards Brodric re: ((ā€˜ā€™ā€˜hi-fiā€™, ā€˜etc, etcā€™ā€™ā€™)) - he wasnā€™t stupid, heā€™s a clever person, he knew what he was ā€˜saying and doingā€™, and the inevitable outcome ā€¦ ā€˜hoist with his own petardā€™ ā€¦ Many are happy he is gone so just move on!

19 Likes

If I had as many issues as he has had with PSA realiability (and I have had quite a few, and currently yet another), I would have lost my sh**t as well. Of course I am not one to spread bad juju on other message boards, but will not hesitate to provide feedback to individuals that ask about my experience. Not saying the boot was not warranted, but at least he had valid frustrationsā€¦and was obviously just fed up.

Like Dirk said, moving on.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just learned ā€œBrodricā€ is actually Roger Waters. :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Funny thing about our pal Brodric is that it was a one way street for him.
Once, I criticized a Halcro amp that was left to me by a relative. It never worked right and no one could seem to fix it.
Well, unbeknownst to me, but knownst to Brodric, Halcro are dear to his heart and he went apoplectic that anyone would have a negative thought about Halcro.
In fact it wasnā€™t easy to calm him down. And no matter how I tried, I could never get him to see the irony there.

4 Likes

Iā€™d have been frustrated as well, but I had made a deal with PSA (which seems always possible) and as long as things get ruled out stayed calm. Although reading here it really seems like more than usual quality control and reliability issues (at least with past DMP, some regenerators and the or other power amp, apparently rather SW than HW issues), it also seems like thereā€™s finally always an arrangement and good deals possible. In the US for sure better than overseas.

Agreed. I think I have been very calm through all of my reliability nightmares, without ā€œstriking a dealā€, and I donā€™t condone his actions what so ever.

I have said my peace on this topic.

I agree with all of the positive things that have been said about Brodric. He was generally a great member of the community - except with respect to being freakishly uncompromizing about the DMP.

At the beginning of the DMP beta, which we were both in, I SORTA bought his story about it being too expensive to ship it back from AUS, when a number of us beta testers noted it seemed awfully likely he had a Lemon piece of hardware. Many of us had issues, but he had issues that suggested bad hardware - not just firmware.

But No - he was going to shove it under his bed between updates until PS came up with a FW fix for the issues. Because They Said it Could Be Fixed with Firmware, in so many words. And so it went, for years. Firmware updateā€¦ā€œNope, still broken!ā€ (rinse and repeat jihad).

Indeed - there were things that were Never to be Sorted about the DMP, and many of us figured that out and decided whether it was worth the SQ vs. investment to put up with the poor functionality. Iā€™ll admit that for me there were a number of problems that didnā€™t intersect with my use case, so it wasnā€™t as impactful on my audiophile life as on othersā€™.

On a few occasions throughout this Debacle, thisā€¦how can I properly frame itā€¦this Pandemic-Level Horrorā€¦I posted that my assessment was that the DMP was, ā€œThe Best-Sounding and Worst-Functioning piece of gear Iā€™ve ever ownedā€.

As it turned out, of course, far from lacking the funds for International Shipping, he had a Quarter Million Dollar stereo, an Esoteric disc spinner and so on to fall back on - and frequently spent the price of the DMP (never mind the shipping cost of it) on the odd pair of cables. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

But youā€™re perpetuating what you railed against Brodic for repeatedly doingā€¦ā€¦ :man_shrugging: ā€œā€Brodricā€™s goneā€ā€!!!

1 Like

Oh, Dirkā€¦I do dig your album collection. :metal:t2:

Iā€™ve laid out on this thread up to now, but given the surprising fact that it continues nearly a week later, I thought I would provide my Hysterical Perspective on the saga (sorry, Historical).

I didnā€™t start the ā€œ1000 year banā€ thread, while weā€™re talking hysterical perspectives.

Well, I have personally discovered the dark side of Elk after I was trying to post some info regarding a possible origin of the coronavirus, and not being aware of all the applicable rules, I apparently broke them (I knew one of the rules, but I was not sure if I was breaking it, but was unaware of all the other rules that kept being added).
What shocked with was Elkā€™s aggressivity assuming right away that I had malignant motives.

So, personally, I have stayed away from the PS Audio forum since then (except for one past post, and this new post) - I am not sure I would qualify is job as terrific.
And I have been looking for Directstream DACSr. alternatives (just saying ā€¦).

@B.Gelinas, I am surprised you were ā€œshocked with was Elkā€™s aggressivity assuming right away that I had malignant motives.ā€

Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, here is what I wrote to you:

"We are trying to stick to the positive and supportive. Riling up people more than they are already does not further this goal.

No politics, no discussions of religions beliefs/non-beliefs. We are also staying away from description/discussion/comparison of various health systems/political systems.

This is an audio and music site which happens to have a thread on the corona virus."

"Your posts are not a problem for the ideas you express, but are deleted because the discussion you want to have is not what the thread is about.

As I have explained, we are trying to stick to the positive and supportive. This is not the place for politics, social policy, conspiracy theories, discussing competing healthcare delivery systems, etc."

I am truly sorry if you feel this maligns your character in any way. This was absolutely not my intent.

If you feel a need to discuss this further, please PM me.

3 Likes

Please refer to Elkā€™s reply.
As one member of this forum, this is exactly the structural philosophy that what I would want from the moderator.

2 Likes