Aesthetix Janus / Calypso

I must say my confidence in Uncle Kevy was shaken when he sold me a “new” BHK preamp. It’s working just fine but when I looked at the tube counter, there were around 150 hours on the thing and when I went to register it with PSA, the serial number was already registered. I couldn’t complain much though because he gave me a price that I would have expected to pay for used or a demo.
All that aside, I’m listening to it now and it does sound mellifluous.

Was that an option they gave you as you said they wanted to fix it themselves. I suspect you will have to involve your CC company or PayPal if you used them to get money back from Kevin. Good luck anyway.

Wow, interesting! Sounds like a trade it.

My CC has the ball now. As long as I get a refund, I’m fine. If Upscale wants it back, they can send a shipping label.It all boxed back up for them. My PS Audio BHK sounds great. I really bought the Janus as I needed a phono pre. To be honest, the phono pre in the Janus is the best I have ever heard, Period. Way better than a Manly Chinook, or MF Nu-Vista

Sadly my Janus is heading back for full refund…

1 Like

And I believe you gave up on your plans for a signature model…

Nope. planning to order a new one ( current serial # ) one in Black Signature with trigger

2 Likes

I see you have not lost your faith. Please, keep us posted about SQ differences. As a standard version owner, I am pretty curious about the upgrade.

Well to give an option on how the signature compares to the standard maybe hard since I didn’t even burn it in all the way before failure. Aesthetix tends to think that the unit being NOS it had power supply issue due to age and not use. Possible dried out caps? I will however be able to tell you how it compares to the BHK preamp.

So as it turns out, A jumper was the issue. I could have damaged it during moving jumpers. So it’s going to Aesthetix for a minor update and full test. So wit any luck, I will have it back in a few weeks.

When, years ago, I had my Calypso upgraded, I found Aesthetix to be a highly professional, interested company; much like PSA. If a tree hadn’t fallen thru my roof and squashed the thing, I probably never would have thought to replace it.

So what EXACTLY was the explanation for no warranty? I thought you were getting a full refund?

jeepers! sorry you had to deal with all this drama darren. i hope it works out!
I bought a used Calypso last winter. it was a dream, I loved it. But when i looked inside, the date stamp on the circuit board indicated 2003. Not sure if this was the manufacture date of the unit per se, or just the board itself. Either way, it concerned me and I was half expecting to experience issues at any time. so i sold it for what i paid, and used the cash towards a new BHK preamp. The BHK is still burning in but loving it so far…except for the ‘pops’ when turning up the volume at certain volume levels.at 24 and 53 on the digital display. anyone figure this out yet?
at last…i still find myself longing for the Aesthetix. lol.
TJ

Yes Aesthetix seems rather good, I wouldn’t say on the level as PSA, but far better than most.

Aesthetix warranty is basically this. Unit is ordered from dealer ( built to order ) once dealer has taken delivery, a 90 day window opens for new owner to register the warranty with Aesthetix. If this fails to happen, the dealer retains the 3 year warranty which is NOT transferable. So when I bought the NOS unit from Upscale. There was no warranty. So demo units out there…no warranty.

I will be ordering a brand new Janus with Signature option soon. If anyone would be interested in the Janus, let me know ( PM me ). I am having Aesthetix update it, adding trigger, and black panel ( silver will still come with unit as well.) So if new owner can choose the color of choice.

Many states have laws that don’t allow this kind of warranty mumbo-jumbo, California being one. You certainly don’t have to register the product in a certain number of days. You should do some checking.

1 Like

I don’t believe there is a law requiring any warranty?? I could be wrong, but it’s sorta like vacation time from your employer. It’s offered but not mandatory offering.

My only grip is with Upscale. hey never told me there wasn’t a warranty on a brand new unit. It was brand new, just old stock

I didn’t say there was a law requiring a warranty. In California, I am sure you don’t have to register the product to get the warranty the manufacturer offers. There are also various consumer protections available. It doesn’t seem like a manufacturer can offer the kind of warranty you implied… i.e. based on you figuring out the “mumbo-jumbo” regarding the dealer and transferable warranties. There are implied warranties in addition to the written one. I would be surprised if the manufacturer can ignore the 3 year warranty, in spite of language that appears in that warranty suggesting they can.

I was just trying to be helpful. I’m pretty sure you don’t have to take the loss on this, but it will require a little leg work. Your money, your choice :blush: