BHK Pre Gold Lion Tube Issues

I’ve had a BHK Pre in my system since the summer. I’ve messed around with a few different tubes and I’m curious if the BHK Pre has issues with Gold Lions. I had no issues with the PSVane. I “upgraded” to the Gold Lions after hearing so many great comments on them. I went with Upscale Audio’s Gold Lions (Kevin’s stash, cyro) and had buzzing from one of the tubes. Got the tube replaced and it was better, but still buzzing. Went with an eBay vendor and had buzzing again. Went back to the PSVane and no buzzing. I just got some old stock Mullard Blackburn NOS Short Plate Matched Pair tubes and they are perfect. No buzzing and the sound out of the box is incredible. Curious if the BHK Pre has any known issues with the Gold Lions.

1 Like

Never had an issue when I was using Gold Lions and I had the same pair from Upscale.

2 Likes

Same as Paul, no issues with Gold Lions in BHK.

4 Likes

I got four pairs of GL from Vivatubes a while ago, and I have experienced them in both BHK and M1200 (like them better in BHK). GL has never given me a problem yet.

2 Likes

After stock tubes and a few others, I tried the Gold Lions in my BHK Pre 2 years ago. Never looked back since. Every 10 months I replace them and I’m very happy. Oh, December arrived, it’s time to roll them coincidentally!

3 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s input on this. Sounds like it’s just with me. I must have got some bad tubes. I hadn’t read of the issue anywhere, but it has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks!

1 Like

My Gold Lions sound great! No issues.

1 Like

Night_flight

Yes I have had that issue. It’s described in this thread. I tried a bunch of different tubes in an attempt to fix this issue. I finally returned the BHK and PS Audio and Darren reproduced the issue with Gold Lions also

1 Like

Interesting FilTan. So I’m not alone…

FilTan, I had forgotten about your issues. I had read that previously. I was thinking I simply had a bad set of tubes. I’ll reach out to PSAudio. Would hate to be without the preamp while it’s getting looked at, but will survive. Of course as you mentioned, the issue doesn’t exist with the PSVanes which they require it to be shipped back with. Hopefully after your experience they will not take so long to figure out the issue with mine.

Zero issue with Gold Lions in my BHK Pre. Oh, and I’ve used both the 12AU7s and 6922s. Both pairs sourced from Uncle Kevin (not cyroed, not that that necessarily has anything to do with it but wasted money IMHO and not sure what it actually does to the tube internally).

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day, owlsalum!

2 Likes

Golly, thanks guys! I’ve lowered expectations for my present. Last time I asked for a pair of FR30s. I’d take a pair of FR20s, preferably in sable black. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now it’s time for you to try some Mullard’s or Siemens. 7308’s or CCA’s. You won’t regret it.

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day @owlsalum! You are 12! Fantastic!

1 Like

@luca.pelliccioli - Read this when you get a chance:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

1 Like

Hard to fit FR’s under the Christmas tree but hope you get your wish. Happy B Day!

1 Like

You just need a tree that’s big enough.

5 Likes

Thank you, I’ve learnt something more. Already bought from Brent NOS Telefunken Mazda 12AU7 for M1200s (dchang05 suggested to me).
I read months ago a few comments of members forum about non-12AU7 tubes issues with the BHK Pre, even PS Audio engineer team (reported from James if memory serves me well) recommending 12AU7 version over 6DJ8 and other different volt models. Setting correctly the bias/volt “caps” Pre apart, of course.
I read about a percentage of units returned to Boulder for repair, all with tubes onboard “not recommended”.
I built in my mind the idea that 12AU7s are safer and most of all quieter (silence and warmth are qualities I appreciate over detailed character) for BHK Pre.
An argument I can explore deeper in future, as always thank you for the advice Vince.

PS: looking at Brent availability it seems they are also very rare to find.

3 Likes

Luca

In the four years I had the BHK preamp I probably tried close to two dozen pairs of 6 and 7 volt tubes both NOS and new production matched Gold Lions. I found the noise from all of them to be unacceptable and went back to NOS 12AU7’s. As it has always appeared to me from my experience as well as friends that had the BHK preamps plus forums posts that the sample to sample variances were quite prevalent you might get lucky and have a BHK preamp that places nice with the 6 or 7 volt tubes. I didn’t have one and I tried multiple amps and speakers and gave up. If you want to try it and see if your preamp is one of the ones that play nice with 6 volt tubes I would buy a “cheap” matched pair like the new production JJ’s as a trial. If not from an EU dealer you might only be out about 50 Euros.

3 Likes