Anyone Using JRiver w/ DS DAC Upgraded to New JRiver 21 Firmware?

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded from JRiver MediaCenter 20 to JRiver MediaCenter 21…? If so, what are the improvements if any?

…ADDENDUM - Upon second glance, it looks like the new firmware is available for ‘pre-order.’ I guess that means it’s not officially out yet…??

That’s right. Although they are pre-licensing JRiver 21, it hasn’t been released as yet. Not sure what the new features are slated to be. I use JR20 both when hooked up to the DS DAC via USB and wirelessly through the Bridge. Like its flexibility and the interface is fairly friendly.

Since JRiver Media Center essentially sends bit-perfect (data from music files) to PS Audio DirectStream DAC- The MC21 upgrade should have zero impact sonically.

The improvements in MC21 should be (meaning- we don’t know what they are changing/modifying) how it manages your library, and how it alters the original bits if you go that route.

As to the MC20 upgrade, many of us will pony up the money just to keep using the latest and greatest software for managing the music library.

side notes -

The JRemote is a separately purchased software/program/app and thus is not part of the MC21 licensing. JRemote allows the user to access the MC library remotely (say on an ipad). I find this program extremely useful to not have to go into a windows interface.

The MC20 is a piece of software. Firmware is usually software stored into a “device” - typical of Yale, PP, etc.

I run MC20 on an Intel NUC box with a Seagate 4TB portable drive attached for music files- and only output via USB.
The NUC Box also plays audio via HDMI (things like movies, youtube content, etc) into the TV, which feeds the Directstream using Toslink. Both USB and Toslink sounds fantastic. I like this setup because the NUC box only eats up about 10 watts and is silent except for the spinning external portable drive.

@ Joe Appierto & OnusConsulting… Thanks!

I like the way ‘version 20’ handles the library. It will be interesting to see what they have in store…

build 21 wont be available for a couple of weeks. There are people here who swear by certain build versions over others. 18.0.184 is one that comes to mind. Me, I have been updating JRMC since version 15. I have pre-ordered 21.

My biggest problem is getting DoPE files to load in a reasonable time:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98919.0

I have updated since 17 through 20 and paid at each upgrade I wont be taking 21 due to J river position with JPLAY

J river say JPLAY is a hoax and I take personal offence to that as I surely hear a beneficial sound improvement with using JPLAY.

in-fact the most recent update 6.2 is improved over the impressive version 6.

In my Audio System I liken the incremental Audio gains to JPLAY ver 5.2 to PWDmk2, JPLAY 6 to the DS, and now JPLAY 6.2 to the beta Yale - I mean JPLAY 6 to 6.2 is like going from Pikes Peak to Beta Yale. Well that has been the incremental audible journey for me. Each change just improving the sound that much, things have never sounded this good.

Using the DirectStream USB input, and interconnected via JPLAY 6.2 Windows Server 2012 with AO is amazing. I am constantly going wow at the musical sound.

Big thanks to those that make it happen for us Audiophiles

I am using 21 now. It seems to work OK. It will take on your last settings so you dont have to worry about that. If you want to analyse your music files, depending on size, it could take hours so overnight is the go.

I’ve been using JPLAY as the preferred player for months now after following many trials and deciding the JPLAY player gave me the best SQ. Well that was until the weekend I configured Minimserver and JPLAYStreamer sounds amazing together wish I had that configuration long ago.

I did try minimserver as standalone without JPLAY it was comparable with Jriver in my system.

I gave up loss of user functionality as a long time user Jriver and jremote was awesome but the sound was very average until I settled on JPLAY player

Now using JPLAYStreamer and the sound is even more amazing go Ted with his brilliant firmware upgrades Yale final is huge what an amazing sound. This man is the best happy-132_gifcircle-of-hearts-smiley-emoticon_gifrespect-047_gifhappy-082_gifhappy-048_gifsmiley-music005_gif

Cheers

Johno

Joe Appierto said That's right. Although they are pre-licensing JRiver 21, it hasn't been released as yet. Not sure what the new features are slated to be. I use JR20 both when hooked up to the DS DAC via USB and wirelessly through the Bridge. Like its flexibility and the interface is fairly friendly.
Joe (or anyone who knows):

I’ve been running JRiver on my pc-based music server connected to the DS DAC via USB. My music is on a Synology NAS (214+). If I install the Bridge II, do I have to install something like Minimserver on the NAS to play directly through the bridge, or can I still control my playback by launching music in JRiver on my PC? I know some like to eliminate the pc completely, but I will be keeping it in my system for other reasons. The NAS is in a back room and connected via a gigabit switch to my media pc in the listening room and would be connected directly to the Bridge via ethernet as well.

Still trying to figure all this out before I spend the $900 on a Bridge II. I’ve looked at some of the upnp control points and none of them appeal to me as replacements for JRemote controlling JRiver.

Thanks,

Steve

You can just continue to use JRiver. You’ll need to add the settings for streaming (“media network”) and it keeps things neater if you create a new “player” for the Bridge but even that isn’t strictly necessary.

if Jplay streamer works with Minim will it also work if minim is on a Mac?

I’ve installed JR21 and as far as I can tell, there isn’t any difference in sound quality. Just to confound matters, I’ve also gone from Windows 7 to 10. For whatever reason I can no longer get the USB connection from my PC to the DS DAC to produce any sound. The DAC “sees” the PC – the USB connection is green but I must have changed some setting because it did work formerly. As much as I enjoy listening to PC-based audio, it definitely can be frustrating at times.

No problems when using the Bridge. It continues to sound excellent and that’s what I use mainly anyway but just from a “why the heck doesn’t it work?” perspective, this issue with the USB connection is bugging me.

Hey Joe…I updated to win 10 but didnt like it so I went back to 7. I sort of know 7. Its easy to go back to your previous OS if that’s what you want.

rossop said Hey Joe..I updated to win 10 but didnt like it so I went back to 7. I sort of know 7. Its easy to go back to your previous OS if that's what you want.
Really? Please tell me how. All in all, I don't like 10.

A couple of suggestions that you may have tried.

Forst uninstal the sub drivers completely and reboot

then re install did you try this.

Next go into control panel and see if after the Usb install look in systems for a yellow triangle in the sound or sub sub section

lastly does the sound on the main board work from speakers , also look in sound settings the wav or some setting that has the volume muted

win 10 is a major pain period

Joe Appierto said
rossop said Its easy to go back to your previous OS if that's what you want.
Really? Please tell me how. All in all, I don't like 10.
I just upgraded to Win10. I saw a mention of the rollback feature but there is a time limit--it might be ten days or two weeks, I forget exactly. But do it soon if you want to. (I'm away from home right now and not on my Win10 machine so I can't check. If you google you can probably find the procedure.)
magister said
Joe Appierto said
rossop said Its easy to go back to your previous OS if that's what you want.

Really? Please tell me how. All in all, I don’t like 10.

I just upgraded to Win10. I saw a mention of the rollback feature but there is a time limit–it might be ten days or two weeks, I forget exactly. But do it soon if you want to. (I’m away from home right now and not on my Win10 machine so I can’t check. If you google you can probably find the procedure.)

That is exactly what I did and have rolled back to Windows 7. You have 30 days from the Windows 10 installation to do so.

I want to thank you all for your input and I apologize for diverting this thread.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-8-easy-3615606/

Joe Appierto said I've installed JR21 and as far as I can tell, there isn't any difference in sound quality. Just to confound matters, I've also gone from Windows 7 to 10. For whatever reason I can no longer get the USB connection from my PC to the DS DAC to produce any sound. The DAC "sees" the PC -- the USB connection is green but I must have changed some setting because it did work formerly. As much as I enjoy listening to PC-based audio, it definitely can be frustrating at times.

No problems when using the Bridge. It continues to sound excellent and that’s what I use mainly anyway but just from a “why the heck doesn’t it work?” perspective, this issue with the USB connection is bugging me.

you Have to reinstall the drivers I had the same problem

gordon said if Jplay streamer works with Minim will it also work if minim is on a Mac?
Yes, you can have Minim on any device in your home network.

Cheers,
Marcin