Are cables components?

Are cables components? Without them, you’d get no power, sound or connectivity (sure Wifi, but devices still need electricity). They play a very particular role in your system, much the way a preamp or DAC does. While a system can function without a turntable or streamer, it cannot function without cables. What constitutes a component? Does it need to be “plugged in” or “powered up?” Aren’t all cables plugged in and powered one way or the other? Do they need a on/off switch, lights or a readout? Must it be “active?”

This is not a cables do or don’t matter question, but rather a more basic one. Regardless of how they measure or sound, or how inexpensive or costly they may be, are they or are they not essential to breathing life into the machines they connect? Are they, in your opinion, considered a component?

1 Like

At the price of some of these cables and on the difference in sound quality also, I would definitely consider cables a component.

1 Like

I think most/all of us here on this forum believe so. We consider the virtues and limitations of each cable, its place in the system, and how it adds to the sound we desire—just as we do amps, sources, and DACs.
The masses probably are not aware of the contributions of cables, going as far as simplifying their systems to being bluetooth enabled—no cables!

1 Like

Without question! Cables are component level upgrades! Even with cost considerations removed how it effects the performance of the system they are necessary for getting the best performance!

1 Like

+1.

Sometimes I think cables maybe the most important components of the system as they either limit or bring out the best potential of all other components.

1 Like

They certainly are not a fashion.

3 Likes

Is there some difference in how we (or anyone) would view, use, purchase or otherwise think of them if they were considered to be components or not? I guess I’m not seeing the point of the question.

1 Like

Yes, they are a component. And they can be neutral, worse or better in your system, so do your homework–as you would for anything.

1 Like

Cables make a difference in SQ in most of cases I tried. Hence, they are components in my book. Definitely not on top of the list but significant participants.

There was no resolution intended. It was something that came to mind during a search for XLRs and power cables. The thought of how much consideration I’m giving to both prompted me to put it out into the forum. When you say “anyone,” I don’t think of people here, who actually know there is such a thing as an aftermarket cord, as being lumped in with that group. That’s not to say everyone here would see them as a component and not an accessory. So I guess the point of the question was to get a conversation started with people whose perspectives I’ve come to value.

It is a question of nomenclature dependent on how important you find wires.

Short answer is yes they are pieces of the system so they are components by definition.

2 Likes

A perfectly logical explanation, and I hope no offense was taken at my question.

I suppose, if someone were to ask me my opinion, I would suggest that anything that carries or moves a signal along its way from source to ear, whether or not it also intentionally modifies the signal as it does so, could rightfully be considered a component and not merely an accessory.

1 Like

No offense taken. You’ll have to excuse me when I ask the more philosophical questions. It’s genuinely to know what, how and why people think what they do. There’s no psycho-analysis, but rather a chance for me to view something differently.

1 Like

I knew it, I knew it - - it was a trick question! :thinking: :innocent: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

You got me.

2 Likes

Every cable is the end product of decisions in design, materials selection, manufacturing processes with an end goal of meeting certain performance criteria. Some designers prefer to emphasize phase coherence, some flat wide-band response, some noise suppression. None of which can all be achieved perfectly simultaneously in any practical cable, so design is actually a trade space. In short, a component like any other deliberately designed to meet the priorities of the designer.

2 Likes

If you have any doubts and own a PS Audio regenerator buy or borrow a quality aftermarket power cable. I’m sure after that the stock cord will be going back in the box.

2 Likes

Paul172…

Yep …Exactly …right on
The stock cords go back in the box!!

Best wishes

1 Like

P10 here. I didn’t plug it in until the AQ Thunder arrived. It’s my only point of reference.