Audioquest Niagra 3000

Kevin claimed its better than regenerators, looks like P12 and P15 was compared.

Maybe because he can’t sell PS Audio?

2 Likes

Haha yeah, could be that

1 Like

Every new brand he picks up is the greatest thing ever until it’s replaced by a new one.

5 Likes

Kevin deal is a master salesman not to be underestimated. :grin:

Comparing internals to show you got what you paid for… I think the P12 wins by a mile… even more when P15 is compared. There’s mention of low impedance as a measurement of “betterness”, which regenerators are better.

I’m not one to bash people but he walks into issues. Kevin is no better than a shill for whatever he’s hawking. See how faithful he is to faulty products he’s guaranteeing.

2 Likes

I’d like to see what Paul thinks. LOL. KD is DB

1 Like

They had me with the matching shirts.

2 Likes

May be mistaken, but having watched a few of his videos, gut feeling is don’t trust this guy.

1 Like

I like Kevin and Upscale, supported them both for a long time. I don’t see enough “guts” to warrant 3x the cost vs the 1200. I also don’t know why they increased the price of the 5000 by 25%.

Kevin could sell anything…he could sell ketchup-popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. It’s funny I had to guide my GF who is staying in my apartment and knows nothing about audio to shut off my Niagara 7000, so I could power down the whole system including BHK300’s in standby, and save electric while I’m away.

She asked me if she could listen to music while I was away, but I had to tell her not only was it too complicated to even power up/down the system in the right sequence and timing to avoid DC offset from the tube preamp, but that there was no way I could guide her through downloading JRemote and and pairing the app with the Jriver. There is a turntable which is a little easier, but I can’t afford a damaged stylus.

Made me realize just how crazy this hobby is and that probably all of has some form of OCD.

I haven’t tested Niagara 3000, BUT during a demo at AXPONA and then at my delaer, the 5000 did absolutely improve the sound immensely connnected to 1200 Watts McIntosh Amplifiers. Actually, Audioquest was the only company that I could hear clear improvements in their demos, unlike many others specially the snake oil Synergetic Research stuff!

1 Like

I only buy vacuum tubes from Kevin because he happens to offer a pretty deep stock of NOS types I prefer for my tube electronics.

Otherwise, I dislike his hard sell of whatever he deems to be the latest and greatest to hit his shipping dock … today. I haven’t found any core principles behind what he pushes as the best today and what he’ll push tomorrow as the greatest tomorrow.

2 Likes

His prices are very high compare to eBay… I would invest in a tube tester and buy from eBay sellers that offer returns or with similarly measured readings so you can verify and use eBay protection as a mean for protection.

I’ve bought tubes off of eBay for years and I rarely have a problem. A tube tester is a necessity for peace of mind. Tube testers are not that expensive in relation to bad tube purchases. I have rare 300B tubes that are worth serious $$$ and one mistake avoided pays for the tester.

Seeing how this reviewer set up the P-20 using the voltage to match his incoming ac rating when he should have set the PS Audio to function at 120V (the higher the voltage the duller the sound), then he maxed out the Mutiwave settings and used the unit that way, and then worst of all to add more coloration to your system you did the audio tune, I used these also at 1st and what a crappy sound I had, Paul even said don’t use autotune unless you have extremely high distortion. He never heard the P-20 nowhere near as good as good sound, and what he liked about the 5000, he would have had that and more if you used the P-20 without all the settings you selected. Voltage set at 120V, Sinewave, and no auto-tune. And yes, if Kevin no longer sells it the ones he does sell will be the best ever, well he should that his job to sell gear, and he does know a lot about the gear he sells so give him that. There is more than one way to have a good system.

1 Like

Paul advises maximum Multiwave.

Really? Well to each his own, and the system depended. Muliwave you lose the tight bass and smooth out dynamics and the image bloats. I’ll try max, but 3,4, and 5 were no go. My dealer when I purchased said SineWave and you’re done, the rest he said is for playing with the sounds but you want purity and that is Sinewave and that is how the unit will sound its best. Perhaps Paul can comment.