Baseball-holics anonymous

No doubt!! He’s a good elder Sox statesman now. I’ve meet him at Sox events several times. I have a picture of him with my daughter. She worked as a Sox Pride Girl for 5 years. A really good job for her. The Sox are unbelievably professional and very good to their employees.

I didn’t know you had CONNECTIONS. I’d have been a lot more deferential!!!

You going to AXPONA? Trying to decide whether to go.

funny question, probably no (I have enough financial desires in life)…but I would if some folks here were for up for cocktails after. I’d enjoy meeting people if that were to happen. I’m 25 minutes south of Schaumburg and it’s an easy drive for me.

It would have to be at an off site bar but a quick Uber for attendees away. I’m a good planner and could work out a good place.

1 Like

Mike Trout is off to a HOF start over his first seven seasons but he will need to stay at a high level and healthy for quite a few more years to get there and that is not a lock. Frank Thomas played 19 seasons (as many in the HOF have) and Trout will need similar durability. It remains to be seen if that happens.

Based on his first seven years? It’s hard to argue he wouldn’t deserve a spot even if he retired tomorrow. He’s been so dominant so far. But I take your point.

That’s the beauty of baseball. It’s all in the arguments.

Gosh. Nobody I talk to here is going. I’m not sure if I’ll make it or not yet. If I go it will be on a whim. Mom still lives in Oak Lawn and Dayton’s a totally reasonable drive.

Unless I ride up there…but then I couldn’t bring anything home with me.

I agree with you if for some reason he left the game after his first eight seasons. Otherwise he will need to slug it out for another decade or so. If he can keep it up it will be great to watch and that’s coming from a lifelong Dodgers fan with no love for the Halos.

1 Like

First Sox game of the year, for me, was a characteristically bad baseball game on an uncharacteristically nice weather day. A little rain and a couple cool breezes off the lake but would have been comfortable in a t-shirt (over dressed a little). Beer was cold, food was good and company entertaining. Overall a good day.

Sadly the Sox didn’t show up again.

So, last week, instead of driving to KS to walk the stage after her December graduation, my daughter decided we should just go to upstate NY where she works.

Started with a detour through Cleveland to see my beloved Sox get their asses kicked, but my first stop at Progressive Field.

The beauty of a rainy 1:10 start is good seats for cheap. TFW when you’re 10 feet from José Abreu who acknowledged you with a wave. Also pictured is my current fave, Yolmer Sanchez, and Tim Anderson as well as Yoan Moncada. And Pitching Coach Don Cooper gave us a wave on the way in from the bullpen.

Then a trip later that weekend to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. And to capture the music angle, there’s our beautiful organist extraordinaire of my youth, Nancy Faust. That lady played me to sleep plenty in the 70s.

So much of my dad in visiting this place. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

image image

1 Like

Nice (software nag is telling not to contribute since it’s pretty much just you and me posting)! I have a framed score care of the Buehrle perfect game in my basement. It’s in my workout room and I look at it all the time. The catch was pretty amazing! Also, lots of love for Nancy too. Glad the Hall recognizes her contributions. Na Na Na Na!

I’ll never forget that game as long as I live.

Hawk and his “Call your wife, call your kids, tell them to turn on the tv!”

Buehrle was my favorite before that, but God. That gave me chills. Odds are I cried. Such a game. When that hit went off the bat, you just saw Mark sag a little. But not too much because he always seemed thankful to be there. What a game.

“I have Irish Alzheimer’s. I forget everything except grudges.”

1 Like

Sox are going to be fun this summer!! Maybe I’ll see ya at the cell!

It is. But I’m gonna miss Yolmer. Heartbreaking to see a guy win a Gold Glove and then get released.

Health willing though, we need to plan a meetup. Beer’s on me if I can drink by then.

1 Like

Here is the beauty of being a tigers fan. I get to watch all of our players in the playoffs with other teams. The playoffs are great. I always have something to root for.

@timm If Cabrera was not past his prime, would he be a Yankee or an Astro right now? :thinking:

As an A’s fan, I feel your sarcasm

For those needing a baseball fix over the winter, this a great YouTube channel that I visit frequently. Tons of classic full games and series. Just got through the ‘68 Tigers-Cardinals 7 game World Series. Kaline, what a stud

Classic MLB

1 Like

One of my favorite World Series!

1 Like

No reviewable calls back then!

1 Like

Greatest World Series for me. I was only 2 at the time and 1984 was the biggest one from memory for me, but watching the 1968 Series shows how much better that was. Go Tigers!

2 Likes