Baseball-holics anonymous

I’ve watched a few games thus far but I’m not feeling it this season in these odd times.

I started re-watching the 2018 World Series. Fun.

1 Like

Feels like extended spring training doesn’t it? Maybe when October rolls around I will get the feeling again, we’ll see.

I just turned on the Red Sox/Yankees game. Empty stands but piped in crowd noise. The disconnect is near surreal.

Do baseball fans like or dislike the fake noise?

I find it annoying, but I am not a fan and have no sense of the degree to which the noise helps or hurts the enjoyment of the game.

It’s weird because baseball is a background game, it’s in your life a lot. TV, radio working on the house and in the car. You either bring it into your life or you don’t love baseball. The fake crowd noise makes it seem normal and comforting…and I thought I would hate it.

Neat. It appears they made a good decision to include it.

I heard an NPR story a bit ago indicating one problem they are having is it is now easy to hear the players swear, sounds which were normally drowned out.

I like that!

I like it. It makes me think of Wilson, but it’s better than pure silence perhaps.wilson

Obviously I’m talking about both the fake crowds AND the sound. Whatever, both the imaginary elements.

They have large tarps over the seats behind the batter. Thus the lack of people in these seats makes visual sense. The CGI fans beyond the outfield look ridiculous.

I would like no fan noise for a bit as I would enjoy hearing the game’s sounds. I have performed the national anthem at a couple MLB games. For the uninitiated like me, the sounds and sights were fascinating. I had no clue how hard they pitchers throw the ball and how loud the ball is hitting the catcher’s mitt, even warm-ups are impressive.

Also impressive is how gracious the players of all of the teams have been. We are pretty much on top of them before we play. They are friendly, good humored, sociable. (Pro basketball players are something else entirely.)

Interesting is the pile of special clay/dirt for the pitcher’s mound in the groundskeepers’ area inside, beneath the stands.

2 Likes

Who are you…I think I would like to know! I have thrown out a pitch, hero of the game. They honor vets and my daughter made it happen. It was a deal in my life.

1 Like

I’m not a pirate fan but that is definitely a fantastic ball park! I’ve been to several games there when I visit my relatives in Pittsburgh. One of my favorites if not my favorite.

1 Like

I bet that was a hoot!

1 Like

English Premier League adds crowd noise to the main broadcast (in the USA anyway), but you can tune into one of the streaming services to hear it without.

Without it, it sounds too much like a scrimmage/practice, plus it’s a painful reminder of this horrible reality.

I know it’s fake, but I much prefer it with the crowd noise. Tiny sense of normalcy.

1 Like

Love being able to hear the dugout chatter, so much better than hearing the usual mind numbing chatter from the fans

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this aritificiality evolves throughout the season. Sometimes I like the fake sounds, and def more than I thought (including the CGI video and Wilson-esque fans), but I’m noticing that the inseparable baseball sounds are (and have always been) awesome, too. I don’t need to hear things like farts, but a catch, hit, grunt, argument, dugout banter, etc are welcome to my ears.

The Tigers are on pace to win 100 games!!! Hahahaha :rofl:

I’m proud of the way MLB has handled COVID. Flexibility and determination: both ownership and players!

2 Likes

Now that you mention it, I have to agree with you.

Good observation.

How 'bout those North Siders!?

(Sorry…could not resist)

Cheers.

In a year like this, I’m letting any north side/south side thing go (that’s big, as you know, for a die hard south side guy). Bigger problems to solve now. It is impressive what the Cubs are doing, I think my White Sox can still make a run. Youth is un-predictable and they have some serious young talent.

In my fantasy world, baseball can help Chicago and the country. It has before.

1 Like

I appreciate the sentiment.

IIRC, the playoff structure is pretty generous. Still could have real cross-town classic…!

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Scott

PS

I grew up in Chicagoland (as I think I mentioned before) Breaks my heart what happened downtown the other day. Praying the country and the denizens of Chicago get their collective acts together. Stay safe!

SEE

1 Like