Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Super, super technically the longer cord will have a higher ground resistance, and this elevates HUM. But, it is so low as to be inaudible with a 10 AWG cord. No worries unless your ground is really bad.

Galen

2 Likes

That is great! Thanks for the quick reply.

@rower30, an odd question for you. For long XLR runs going to an amp, is there any value in twisting (spiraling) the two cables together for the length, instead of keeping them adjoined and parallel to each other?

Tony,

The XLR are shielded for RF and have the twist built-in for low frequency magnetic interference. The balance in the cable rejects anything that is not an equal but opposite signal balance. That interference is called common mode since it is the same signal (not balanced) on each wire, and it gets cancelled.

You can run the XLR right next to each other no problems at all. Twisting will hurt the cable more than help it as it could distort the geometry.

Best,
Galen

3 Likes

Are outside dimensions and min bend radius information available or summarized anywhere for all the Iconoclast cables and interconnects? I did find min XLR bend radius info. Thank you.

ICONOCLAST cables;
SPKR use 20X diameter for the min bend radius.
XLR use 15X diameter for the min bend radius.
RCA use 10X diameter for the min bend radius.

Galen

Thank you Galen. Would you please add the diameters?

Is the paired wire used to make the speaker cables available separately?

I was thinking it might be nice to make a diy balanced headphone cable out of a couple of pairs. This would be more for home listening and not while out and about so minimal bending and potential for damage. Plus I would probably cover it in Techflex.That is unless there’s a better choice of wire to consider.

Allan,

Use these diameter values. The speaker cord will bend across the MINOR 0.355" axis. Do not bend it across the major 0.455" axis, it won’t like it and will let you know!
RCA - 0.215" nominal
XLR- 0.325" nominal
SPKR - .405" x .355" nominal

For the DIY crowd here is what you do.

Get some Belden 1701A (bonded pairs) or 1585A (unbonded pairs) plenum (Teflon) Ethernet cable.

Strip off the outer jacket and use the inner pairs that have four lay lengths. You can use the color or lay, your choice, to play with.

These are ~115, (101670 / (70%*12.5 pf/ft)) nominal impedance in air outside the cable sheath and untwisted to individual pairs. They are ~100 ohm nominal in a quad under the jacket (101670 / (72%*14pf/ft)). Expect around 12-13 pf/foot capacitance pairs in air.

These aren’t ICONOCLAST pairs but pretty close. They are made to be 100 Ohm Ethernet. ICONOCLAST doesn’t have that impedance dimensional restriction.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

Many thanks Galen.

Hi everyone,

We have a scheduled ZOOM meet with Suncoast Audio Society on cable properties on January 3 @ 6:30 EST. So all you Suncoast members I’ll see you via ZOOM!

I did get a Logitech Pro 4K camera, a Hyper-X quad cast mic and two really bright LED panel studio lights. One for each side. Should Look and sound pretty good based on the trials.

We figured ZOOM will give everyone a front row seat and cleaner easier to see visuals and better feedback. Thoughts on that?

We should capture the meeting and also post it on the ICONOCLAST site, but if you have real time questions you need to be there.

Best start of the year for all,
Galen

10 Likes

I dont think I can make it to the live show but would be very interested in seeing the recorded version.
Happy New Year!

1 Like

We have the Suncoast Audio Society meet recorded and the slides will be made available, too. It’s about 1.5 hours as we did questions as we went along so they are time synced better to the material as we could make it. This is a tech lecture on physics of how cables are all impacted by the physics and not a specific design so no direct marketing. For that you need the ICONOCLAST web site papers where I discuss how the stuff impacts cable design(s) and why.

Best,
Galen

7 Likes

Where is that?

The SAS ZOOM will be posted here; Reviews and Discussion Threads: Iconoclast Cable once available.

Best,
Galen

4 Likes

Here is the YouTube link to the Suncoast Audio Society Club presentation; https://youtu.be/p4a5PflsdMg

Best,
Galen

6 Likes

Good morning Tony,

I wanted to personally thank you for the introduction to Colin and the Suncoast Audio group and for paving the way for Galen’s presentation. I think everything went fine with lots of interaction and questions. We are grateful for your help!!!

Best,

Bob

2 Likes

Happy to oblige, Bob! It’s a good group of enthusiasts. Some of the key folks behind the Florida show are part of the Suncoast club.

1 Like

Imagine if Siltech started not wasting their precious silver on lesser geometries and actually applied Galen-level physics on the geometry. I wonder why they don’t.