Best Sounding Firmware For Directstream Poll

Which firmware version for the Direcstream Dac do you think sounds best and why? I vote for Redcloud because it seems to recreate the ambiance and acoustics of where the music was recorded better than the newer firmware versions. Redcloud just sounds more accurate to me even though I obviously do not know what those actual environments sound like in real life. Yet when I’m listening, I feel it just sounds correct somehow. I do not hear that with Snowmass, Windom or Sunlight.

2 Likes

I got my DS DAC with Windom preinstalled. I upgrded to Sunlight when it was released. Sunlight better sound stage layering, discernible intrumental delineation, livelier vocals. I can sum it up with more palpability. However, I would not rule out a rollback sometime this year to confirm I am not imagining, LOL.

I always liked Torreys, Redcloud, and Sunlight the best. With some of the other releases I found myself listening to my stereo instead of the music.
No big deal – thankful to have the different versions at my fingertips whenever I’m in the mood for a change…

Sunlight here. :smile:

To me and my wife Sunlight.

Sunlight…

Wish I could say, the next one. But alas…

Reloaded Windom and it is not even near Sunlight. Sunlight sounds and feels like a new machine altogether. Layering, dimensionality, spaces are far better.

3 Likes

As Ron says, another firmware upgrade would be great, but to my ears the latest is the greatest.

1 Like

I think Firmware / program is the most valuable piece of intellectual property in this DAC. Ted and PSA team put so many man/days in it, and burnt a lot of late night oil. So, it is not unreasonable to save the next firmware to be used with new modern hardware.

1 Like

I listen almost exclusively to headphones, and I’d have to say that Torreys gives me the most pleasure. Sure, Sunlight may have lower noise, etc., but the imaging I get with Torreys is magical. YMMV.

3 Likes

i use redcloud with usb, the more ‘real’ for me (and friends)

Sunlight for me

1 Like

Sunlight followed (closely) by Snowmass

1 Like

Sunlight

1 Like

A few weeks ago I went back to Snowmass 3.0.0 and thoroughly enjoyed it but once I returned to Sunlight it’s been in the machine ever since.

1 Like

Don’t know why, but Torreys has always sounded much better on headphones than any other firmware.

Go to the light.

1 Like

Sunlight for sure.

1 Like

Snowmass was a turning point. . . I had to work on the system to make it shine but when it did it sure did. And then Sunlight. . . wow. That’s the one. Too bad it’s the final one.