Beta Test Impressions of the New Strata

Muzo is still the best option for now. I haven’t been given an update for when PS Connect will be available, but hopefully it will soon.
Here’s the link to Muzo https://apps.apple.com/us/app/muzo-player/id820046906

Just installed new PS Connect. Seems to work but runs Qobuz at CD quality only. Even when recordings say Hi Res. Is there anything I can or should do?

Make the change in the desktop version

Didn’t know there was one. Thanks.

In the desktop version in the top right corner click on your account and then go to “music playing” and streaming quality.

I haven’t played “City: Works of Fiction” through the Strata (with the small ELAC speakers). But now that you’ve put forth that challenge, I will.

I have just received my new custom speakers from Omega Speakers today! :slight_smile:
These speakers are much more sensitive (94.5 dB at 8 ohms) than my old ELAC UB5 speakers (85 dB at 2.83 v/1m and Nominal impedance: 4 Ω).
Now, I have noticed that when music is not playing - I can hear a hiss / “noise floor” from the new speakers. I could never hear ANY hiss or noise floor with the ELACs, even when my ear was an inch away from the drivers!
I assume it is because the new driver is much more sensitive?
Any way to eliminate or at least reduce the noise floor / hiss? When turning off the Strata (with the remote) - speakers become dead silent!
Since this is a near-field setup, and my head is only 2 feet from the speakers, I would REALLY want to address the issue… I would not have bothered if my seating position were 5-6 feet away (or more).

Thanks in advance for any help / tips / tricks :slight_smile:
Zachi.

:grimacing: 94.5 dB efficient speakers in a setup where you listen 2 feet away is going to be tough. Do you get the same level of noise with all inputs?

Hey James :slight_smile:
So far, only tried it with the Network Bridge (streaming Tidal).
I have a tube amp with 5-8W output (depending on output tubes used), and although not dead quite - it is definitely quieter than the Strata, which supports my theory that the more powerful amp combined with sensitive speakers is the culprit…
This is NOT a showstopper, and I know that most people do not sit 2 feet from their speakers :wink:
Still, if can be mitigated - I would like to do so.

I would try different inputs and also disconnect cables from all inputs and then select one of the analog inputs. If the noise goes away with nothing connected then you may find a new set of cables, even going balanced, may provide great benefit. Of course, that will not help when using the bridge input. I’ve also found some success with better power cables on some set-ups.

But, as James already mentioned, being 2 feet away is going to reveal a lot which is good/bad. Don’t let the project eat-up too much listening time though. :wink:

3 Likes

Great suggestions! Thank you!

I have disconnected ALL cables (except power cord and speaker cables).
Trying all inputs (analog, USB, bridge) with no source connected - the noise floor is exactly the same for any input.
Since my new Omega speakers are quite sensitive - is there a “gain” or equivalent setting for speakers? Same as low/high gain for headphones? That would be quite helpful…
If not - is there an attenuating device I could plug between the speaker bindings and the speaker cable?
Something like this, but for speaker out instead of RCA in?

Got my Strata (again… Long story) today.
I connected to the wifi and plugged in the Ethernet.
Everything seems to be working ok, but the wifi icon is crossed off.
What does that mean?

You only use one or the other. With Ethernet you don’t use wifi, unplug your ethernet and watch your wifi work.

Agree. The hard wired connection has priority.

Oh!
Ok, thanks

Another question:
If I wanted to bi amp my speakers by adding an S300, would the outputs of both amps match?

That would be a question for Darren I suspect but the gain from both is spec’d at 30.5db so probably pretty close. Would you drive the S300 from the Strata?

Yes, that is the plan. So much for me simplifying my system.

You could certainly give it a shot. The gain levels might be a little off though. I haven’t heard anyone do this so I don’t have much feedback.