BHK Preamp Beta Testers wanted - apply within

As promised, I am posting here first, on Paul’s post soon. music-078_gif

We’re starting beta tests on full production BHK Signature preamps in early May, and taking applications now for testers. Here’s details.

MSRP in the United States is the same as DirectStream, $5,999. It comes complete with the much vaunted BHK headphone amplifier built in - and if you’ve heard BHK’s The King or any of his work with headphones, you’ll appreciate what’s inside. It’s absolutely state of the art.

The long and short of it:

• PerfectWave chassis, OLED display and stepped volume attenuator (same dimensions as DirectStream)
  • Tube input stage, zero feedback, based on gold-pin 12AU7
  • High current, low output impedance MOSFET output stage
  • Fully balanced input to output
  • High current oversized power transformer
  • Fully regulated power supplies using BHK designed MOSFET discrete voltage regulators (filaments regulated through LT regulators)
  • Full BHK designed zero feedback, discrete MOSFET headphone stage
  • Remote control
  • Volume and balance through a unique combination of gain and attenuation control for the lowest impact of music I have ever heard
  • Two output DC control triggers
  • Single ended and balanced outputs can be used together for different feeds or separate
Beta testers will purchase their beta samples, which are fully finished, fully warrantied production units that come with a 100% money back guarantee - the first 30 production units in fact - for $4,199 each directly through us. Beta testing will be restricted to the United States, though a handful will also be tested overseas but arranged through our distributors. Contact yours if you're interested.

Beta testers are required to agree to a few things:

• If there are any updates or changes we feel necessary, we will request the unit back at our expense and take care of it. But all beta units will be upgraded in the unlikely event that becomes necessary.
  • You must participate in a closed online forum with comments, suggestions and notes
  • You will be asked for a review that will be published on our website and in our public offerings
  • You will need to tell us what associated equipment will be used with the BHK and we will determine your eligibility
I will be posting further details on the units - and within a week or two, we'll have the details of the preamp up on our website. For now, use the two attached pictures to see the unit.

The BHK Signature preamp is being presented as one of the top performing preamplifiers in the world - call it within the top 5 of all time, any brand or price. Your opinion is what we are after, but let’s not mince words as to what your and our expectation should be.

If you want to put your name on the list, email me at paul@psaudio.com . But please, don’t send an email if you’re not serious. We’ll get plenty, don’t worry.cool

BHK-Preamp.jpgRear-Panel.jpg

May the testing begin!

Elk said May the testing begin!
Yup, starting in May.

OK, there’s a trigger output. Very good.

Here’s a question based on the picture of the rear panel. On my AR LS26 I’m using a balanced output to feed the BHK amp, and another SE output to get a line-level signal over to the subwoofer. There is only one output on the BHK preamp, so would it matter if I ran the balanced out to the BHK amp in parallel with the SE over to the sub?

Also, my wife kept pounding me over the head to reduce the number of remotes, so I bought a Harmony Hub universal remote to control all the disparate boxes. Works well, actually. But if I get the BHK preamp I’ll have to reprogram the Harmony hub to be able to control the IR for the preamp. Are these codes available? (many other PS products are) Or would I need to program the hub for each button push until you can get the codes over to Harmony?

–SSW

SSW - I believe the answer to your first question is addressed in the details Paul provided above:

• Single ended and balanced outputs can be used together for different feeds or separate
audio.bill said SSW - I believe the answer to your first question is addressed in the details Paul provided above:
Thanks, I reckon this also answers my third question here:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/bhk-power-and-pre-amp-forum/preamp/#p53714

audio.bill said SSW - I believe the answer to your first question is addressed in the details Paul provided above:
Gaah. You're pointing out that I can't read. Bah. I hate when that happens . . . .

Sounds very tempting. Even after I concluded (after many tests) that DS sounds best when connected directly to the power amp, especially if the power amp is BHKxxx…

Damn that imaginary line between Canada and the U.S. If not for that, I’d be all over the offer to be a beta tester; even with the insane exchange rate.

If I recall correctly it was mentioned specifically by Paul that there was a detriment to the sound if the balanced and unbalanced outputs were used at the same time with the PWD/DS - is that not applicable to the preamp?

I assume both outputs are variable volume… It would be most useful, in my situation, if the balanced output could be set as variable volume (driving my BHK 250) and the unbalanced set for line level out (I drive an integrated amp from my Rogue pre for outdoor deck speakers). Just me but I would trade the fifth input for a fixed output.

Since it will come with the King headphone amplifier, any chance there would be a balanced 4-pin XLR headphone out?

I use my system at least 50 / 50 between headphones and speakers.

Thanks.

A 4-pin XLR balanced out would be wonderful, but the picture shows a conventional TRS.

parkerric said

If I recall correctly it was mentioned specifically by Paul that there was a detriment to the sound if the balanced and unbalanced outputs were used at the same time with the PWD/DS - is that not applicable to the preamp?

The DS has a transformer on its output.

Ok, time to be a Beta tester again. smile Looking forward to pairing the pre-amp with my BHK 300’s.

Can’t wait for the testing to beginclapping_gifclapping_gif

Oh, and if any of the beta testers have other tube preamps, please be sure and let us know how they compare. I started my upgrade from my 1984 system (Streets 950, PS IVH preamp, California Audio DAC, Acoustat 1+1 speakers) centered around the AudioResearch LS26 tube preamp and most recently finished with the BHK 250 amp, so I’m wondering how the BHK preamp compares with traditional contemporary tube preamps.

I do remember the time I sat down with Paul with the LS26 schematic to show how simple it was years before the BHK was born and set Paul down the path that eventually became the BHK after many false starts. Wow, what a long road it’s been.

–SSW

Edit: Hmm, I actually may be able to get one, if VW indeed is going to give us TDI owners $5k to resolve the dieselgate fiasco. I’m just wondering how much better the BHK preamp is than the LS26. I guess I may find out . . . .

I too am curious how the BHK compares to other good tube preamps. I’ve been using a Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS for many years. I enjoy the harmonically rich midrange that is typical of C-J gear – with the right tubes it’s truly amazing. Sometime, though, I probably should upgrade; among other things, I’d like the possibility of using the balanced connections that some of my equipment has (the 17LS is single-ended only). So, beta testers, please give us the scoop.

I can’t tell you from direct experience though bascom had been instrumental in some of their preamp designs - he’s quite sure this preamp beats any others he’s worked on or heard in his 50 years of doing such things - for what that’s worth.

It’s worth a lot. Bring on the Beta Unit. Can’t wait to see what my SP-10 may be hiding. This will be an exciting comparison.