Brand New entry-level turntable? (Sprout100)

I have the Sprout100 package with Elac speakers. I bought a Rel T-zero.
Using my old Google Chromecast Audio I’ve been wifi-ing streams to this and have been very happy.

Last night a buddy brought over a 30 year old turntable and some LPs. It sounded remarkable. He offered me the old turntable (with a broken lid, and a sensitive power switch.) I passed.

I appreciate the world of vintage turntable hobbyist that have mushroomed in the last couple of years, but I think I want to not go down that path.

What is a bang up deal on a new model, good quality, entry level turntable. Perhaps the 200-400 range (though I could be way off on this range, I have no idea.)

What brands are manufacturing nowadays? What ones would go particularly well with my Sprout100?

Thanks.

–Chris
–Oakland, CA

Welcome, Chris!

1 Like

Slightly over your budget, but heck it’s not my money :wink:

2 Likes

:moneybag: Seems 6 large…thank you. Others? Perhaps challenge yourself to the lower cost, and also what components are in the EVO that would not be in a 300.00 model, and why that’s meaningful?

Thanks @vkennedy61

1 Like

I bought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO earlier this year and really like it. It seems well built and sounds great.

2 Likes

Hmm, you’re correct about the price. Jumped up $100 since April. I’m not an expert on turntables, but it does come with a very good Sumiko Rainier cartridge that retails for $150. Both Absolute Sound and Stereophile raved about it.

3 Likes

Welcome Chris. I jumped back into vinyl earlier this year. After researching I ended up with a Fluance RT85. New they are $500, however, I would look for slightly used to get you near your price point.

1 Like

+1 for the Project. Few new TTs are going to outperform that puppy at or around that price.

2 Likes

You can take a look at U-Turn
Shop – U-Turn Audio (uturnaudio.com)

1 Like

If I couldn’t get the scratch together for the Pro-ject, I might look at Music Hall. They’ve got some models for less. If they’re too much, I’d save up rather than buy something even cheaper. Check out Music Direct’s website.

1 Like

I’ve been happy with a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive after a raving Herb Reichert review in Sterophile a few years back. May be outside your price range, but I think it sounds fantastic.

On the low end, I’ve hear positive things about Fluance tables although I’ve no direct experience. I got my mom a basic Teac table last year and she’s been thrilled with it. As long as it’s properly setup, you’ll likely be pleased.

Mike in Dayton

2 Likes

I’m also impressed with U-Turn turntables. They’re amazing value for money, and are made by a small company in Massachusetts.

1 Like

What a rabbit hole.

I’m 1000% certain I am going to enjoy the sound of my vinyl once I make a choice.

Also, it seems to be quite a golden age for new turntables and quality. Thank the vinyl rebirth for getting manufactures to produce a bunch of good choices.

The original reply was a good one, along with other suggestions (all around $500):

• Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO
  • u-turn Orbit
  • Fluance RT85

I can’t believe I care about platter material or cartridge brand, but hey…that’s what makes it fun.
(gotta be Acrylic and the Ortofon right?)

A question about functionality. The Fluance RT85 has auto-stop at the end of playing an LP, the other two are fully-manual. That auto-stop seems like a good thing for me.

Any opinions on why the ‘all-manual’ is better vs. the auto-stop? What am I missing? Thanks.

The auto stop is a safety feature if you fall asleep or leave the room and a good thing.

4 Likes

In the old days the mechanics to move the tonearm caused rumble in the music signal, which is why purists prefer the fully manual experience.

However nowadays the auto stop is often done with opto-electronics and involves so little mechanics that it doesn’t cause rumble.

I own a 40 years old all original Thorens TD105 semi automatic turntable with all the mechanics to move the tonearm.

I tested it for rumble with a no-signal test track. I needed to Increase the volume to extremely ear damaging levels (should it be a music track) to hear ever so slightly rumble, of which I am not even certain if the rumble is caused by those mechanics.

I agree with @dawkinsj, auto stop is a wonderful feature. Not only a safety feature, but I hate to have to jump up immediately as soon as the end of the record is reached.

2 Likes

You don’t need to purchase a turntable with an automatic tonearm lifter. You can add one.

1 Like

Wow, your friend made you an offer you should not have refused.
An easy way to start with gear you have listened to on your system would be to accept the gift gratefully. My last turntable purchase cost about $70K.

It’s a slippery slope.

2 Likes

Rega planar 1

2 Likes

I feel like you understand me @aangen :grin:

I have a good “wait 24 hours” policy that usually slows me down. I like getting what I want, and being content. If I own something that is not just right, I don’t like that and when I have the strength and willpower I purge all of my stuff that isn’t just right. A bit of a minimalist strain.

I know the Fluance RT81 at $250 would be great for me, the Fluance RT85 has MORE STUFF for $500, and the $70K system you mentioned has even more.

I’m going to pick (real soon now) and I plan on being 99% sure I’ll be satisfied.

The auto-stop feature is nagging at me, because If I am just in the middle of a good cocktail, I don’t want to have to stand up and lift a tonearm.

1 Like

U-Turn makes a good turntable and they’re mostly budget price. Whatever you do, avoid the Crosley C6 made by Pro-Ject for Crosley… it may look like a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but it’s not remotely close. The U-turn is a better TT for same money as the C6.

2 Likes