Turntables

What turntable do you plan to use with Sprout? Which would you buy new? Midrange and high-end.

Thanks

fg

Buy used always with TT’s. VPI can be had for 35-50 percent off retail.

I’m really liking my Pro-ject Carbon Debut. $400

For mid range, I like my Linn or Thorens. For high end, look for a Micro Seiki

http://www.thevintageknob.org/micro_seiki-SX-111FV.html

Michael B.

I don’t have extensive experience with Rega, but I had an RB 300 and an RB 900 or 9 arm (don’t remember the exact naming). There were two points I didn’t like. The inability to adjust azimuth and a quite „small“ sound in terms of frequency range coverage.

But I never had a complete Rega setup, where things might come out differently. At the time I heard it, Rega was entry level. The bigger arms had better tolerances with certain audible advantages, but otherwise played in no really different league imo. I know there are other opinions.

1 Like

It’s their new Planar 10 I have.
looking towards getting the most out of it’s performance.
Looking fwd to reading Fremer’s review of the Stellar.

I have a Rega RP10 that has had it’s azimuth adjusted. Spacers are used under the Tonearm mount to raise it. I’d rather have a better way, but the spacers come in different thicknesses so it can be useful. I think a lot of Rega Turntables come with Rega Cartridges which are of course the ideal fit… I chose another brand. I love the RP10 and I don’t want to hear or learn anything at all about the Planar 10. (wink) I hope you love it!!!

EDIT: Ooops, I was thinking VTA and said Azimuth. Dopey post Al, sorry.

Heh :innocent:

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to y’all.

Aangen, what kind of music are you listening on the REGA and what is it you like most?

I think adjusting azimuth at the tonearm basis is no good idea to be honest, as then you change the whole swing of the arm over the record and you have different cartridge heights between start and end of the record.

Adjusting it at the cartridge mount would be better but still tricky.

A tonearm without proper azimuth adjustment for me is like a camera without focus adjustment…you can’t even start from an optimal point of setup.

Hi Jazznut, think Aangen refers to 2 different adjustments. First sentence indeed the Azimuth, the second one must refer to the VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) which on REGA turntables is in my opinion done very well suited for the REGA system. Everything tuned to reduce mass to the absolute minimum.

For me azimuth adjustment is more like cleaning the sensor of the camera than the focus. Once that is performed properly it’s set and all you need to do is take care it doesn’t change anymore. On REGA tonearms it won’t change anymore unless the turntable is not handled with care.

With mass momentum principle turntables the extra weight of the adjustment possibilities is much less critical and thus those adjustment possibilities become way more useful on those kind of turntables.

I like the simplicity of the THORENS TP92 tonearm, on the TD1600 and TD1601 it will have a handy VTA adjustment set possibility added to the very easy Azimuth adjustment.

I want to buy a new turntable this year, and am contemplating between the THORENS TD1601 and REGA Planar 10. Each has its very specific features that I like and some I dislike.

Another question, do you use the RP10 with the Stellar Phono Pre Amp?

Yes, your analogy for azimuth is better! But anyway, there’s not even an option to set it correct once with the Rega (except using something between cartridge and headshell, which is not really feasible trying to compare different settings with a test LP).

That is correct, which is why I would alwaysbuy the REGA turntable with REGA tonearm and REGA cartridge together in the (perhaps ignorant) assumption that the Azimuth is correct that way.

This is perhaps one of the things I dislike, but if it sounds good, that would be one of the things that won’t bother me too much.

I ordered the Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3, going to pair it with the SPP. Will report back, I’m coming from the Planar 6. I subscribed to Rega’s philosophy (for now) that any mechanical uncertainty is a source for distortion, so the ability to adjust azimuth, and VTA, which are moving parts, are sources for uncertainties and therefore distortions.

That will be interesting to read. Enjoy your prospects.

I’ve been changing my phono setup. My observations having not looked at this for some years.
I was using stereo MC and mono MM cartridges into the Devialet Expert phono stage. The first arm on my turntable is an Origin Live dual pivot. As long as it is mounted properly, azimuth ceases to be an issue as the dual pivots are factory set and should never be touched. The pivot spikes are made of tungsten carbide, which is twice as hard as steel, the tip of the pivot sits in a sapphire cup, and it has a big yoke that improves stability and gives incredible tracking ability.
I sent my two MC cartridges off for a check-up and bought an Origin Live Aladdin Mk2, which is a branded Soundsmith Zephyr Mk3. I wanted to try a quality high out put moving iron cartridge, as I have a cheaper one (Goldring 2500) that I like for piano and jazz. If Mark Baker of Origin Live selected it to put his name on it, that’s good enough for me. I bought an almost new Vertere MM/MC phono amp, costs £1,000 (I paid £600), which is a fine product that I have heard Vertere use in demonstrations in a £500,000 system. I was going to get a Trilogy 907 for £1,600, but as a temporary thing was a bit much. Both units have isolated power supplies, the Trilogy in a separate box. The Vertere is excellent except that it needs 30 minutes to warm up. Vertere suggest leaving it on permanently.
The Zephyr Mk3 is an interesting design. It uses some Alumina rods that allow you to adjust the azimuth by adjusting the mounting screws, they are non-conductive so also minimise any hum.

https://www.sound-smith.com/dems
The Zephyr also has a new aluminium alloy cantilever, used in much more expensive units, that can be replaced for $300. Boron cantilevers cost at least twice as much.
I also fitted an Origin Live “Cartridge Enabler”, that eliminates vibrations. Costs £19.

So far, so good. Love the sound.
I’m thinking of there Dutch & Dutch 8c and will have a home demo in the next few months, when it is Roon Ready. It needs a balanced phono output. I spoke to a PS Audio dealer, the PS Audio phono has balanced outputs, but you cannot plug in two MM cartridges, which is a shame. The most versatile unit, and very highly regarded, is the Cyrus Phono Signature, that can connect to up to 4 MM or MC phono sources. It can be run off mains power or a matching 12v external power supply. Cyrus is long established in Europe, another audio company from Huntingdon, not sure if available in the USA.

2 Likes

I have the Zephyr MIMC Star in my RP10. I am not searching for a replacement. That’s as high a compliment as I can give it. I am very pleased.
I did not install it, I wonder if the person who did took the care to make those adjustments?

Hi Rudolf,
l would greatly appreciative to hear the “very specific features that you like and dislike”. I am deciding on adding a turntable.
Chas

Though I get the Rega philosophy, and having owned a couple of their TTs, now the idea of not being able to adjust VTA sort of boggles my mind. As it is, I’m irked by not having on-the-fly adjustment. You can do SO MUCH to change/improve the sound with that adjustment alone, that it is not even funny.

2 Likes