Bridge 2.5?

Why do I get the feeling that you’ve experienced and led this type of engagement more then once? :wink:

You are a wise and sage man Sig. Pelliccioli.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @jamesh, both on potential thinking for the bridge in the bridge concept and on how the AirLens is tracking…

1 Like

As of right now, yes. Sigh. Parts again.

We are working (and have been working) on a small single box carrier/power supply that will accommodate the Bridge and provide an I2S output that can go directly into the MK2. This will allow any Bridge owners to use their Bridge into the MK2 without compromise.

2 Likes

Yup. Understood. We are still struggling with parts on the AirLens which is why we’re speeding up development and production of the Bridge Box. Need a name for it if anyone has suggestions.

The good news with the external Bridge carrier is that there are no parts issues to deal with. Development is done and we’e moving to prototype next week. I estmate we can ship them in March.

Connection will be via I2S.

2 Likes

…and MK I…?

Well, yes, but MK1 already has a slot for ther Bridge though if you wished to keep it external that would work too.

Life support box would be my suggestion for name

1 Like

Saddened to hear the Airlens is having another delay.

I would have thanked you if in fact this were true however this is where I got the idea.

Thank You @Turbotk

I just couldn’t stand to see transformers wired this way. Though I know this was just temporary.

@lufubu
If you feel you need a “Thank You” I will if you can point me to where you posted this. I even looked again in the modding topic and could not find it.

5 Likes

@Paul:

You may not be fully aware but there appears to be a consensus among the PSA forum denizens that the Bridge II Ethernet card may have a discernible negative impact (in terms of introduction of “noise” into the circuitry).

I am a huge fan of the Bridge II as a “streamer” and the MK II is not (yet) in my current upgrade plans. I am actively looking for a near-term option (similar to the pending AirLens) that would allow me to enjoy the ease and performance of the Bridge II at a reasonable cost (and I would like to maintain MQA compatibility if possible).

If I can use the Bridge II in a manner that does not require it to be inserted into the DS DAC, I would be very interested in doing so.

Good luck with the supply chain challenges.

Cheers.

Scott

2 Likes

Hi, I think you raise an excellent issue! I was thinking, could the Bridge II be much better sonically if it was taken outside of the box… but that never was an option till now.

Paul’s “Choosing a music streamer” post suggested having the network adapter separate from the dac was a big part in improving sound quality, as would be galvanic isolation of its outputs.

But we’ve also had Paul say, that with the galvanic isolation on the DS2, the additional galvanic isolation on the AirLens will have less of a factor in sound quality, in a connection with the DS2.

So, if PS Audio want to bring in a small form external bridge, which would be pretty unique in allowing MQA 192 unfolding of itself (rather than needing a compatible DAC for unfolding > 96 kHz), plus DSD 64 at a low cost, why not? That’s a pretty good secret sauce, particularly with an I2S connection in my view.

I’m not sure this would want to be confined as a bridge in a bridge concept. Could this be, roughly a Strata series Bridge at half the cost or less of the AirLens?

2 Likes

ABBA
AirLens Bridge Box Alternative
Almost Bridge Been Available
Another Big Bang Awaited

Sorry Paul, just to lighten things up, I can’t imagine how frustrated you are at this umpteenth delay that threatens to upset your plans

5 Likes

…or less.

:wink:

2 Likes

“Bridge III”

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Scott and yes, I am aware that inside the DAC isn’t the best place for the Bridge – which is one of the reasons the MK2 hasn’t one in there.

The upcoming Bridge Box (for lack of a better name) will solve that and be very reasonably priced. You’ll have all you had in the Bridge without worrying about internal noise issues.

7 Likes

Very interested in this…

Good luck with development and launch.

Thanks Paul.

‘DS Bridge’,
‘Landbridge’ maybe,
Bridge over troubled water won’t do and we won’t be speaking of Stairway to Heaven with an upcoming AL.

‘Sprout Bridge’ maybe a contender, considering it’s one of your small type of equipment aiming at competitive quality for its price point.

Can we stream DSD256 with the bridge 2 box or files from a NAS.

The box won’t change the limits of the board as designed by Conversdigital it only changes the power source and connection method. So whatever the specs of the board are on their website is what it will do.
There were three models of that board and only one the most expensive one would do above DSD 64 which would have been about standard when these boards were released.

1 Like

Will fully functional bridge boxes be an option? I’m really looking forward to pairing an AL with my GCD but a bridge box is an interesting prospect…. Would these also be able to be traded in for an AL when those are finally available?

1 Like