Bridge 2 previous firmware

I’ve been having an intermittent Bridge problem the last ten days that I’m trying to figure the source. I upgraded the Bridge to 3.6.17 back in early January. It worked fine for 3-4 weeks, then I went out of town for a week and shut everything down (including pulling the plug on the P10).

When I returned and turned everything on I started having issues with VTuner in the MConnectHD app. I also had some different issues with JRemote/JRiver, but I’ll get to that below. Back to VTuner, I would open MConnect, select VTuner, then after a long pause (10 Seconds?) the list of categories came up, then I select “Favorites” and another long pause, then I select a “station” and another long pause until a window pops up with “Delay in streaming or unsupported file format”. Obviously, something is wrong, but what? I know the app had been updated, but you can’t roll back. I did shut down and restart the app several times with no change. I tried unplugging/plugging Ethernet cable (Blue Jeans CAT 6A), no change and all along the “Activity” light was illuminated. Tried power cycling the Router and the DS (Senior), no change. At this point I had been still using Redcloud so I upgraded to Snowmass (the latest one) with no change. Next step, pull out hair …

At this point I contacted ConversDigital and they responded saying there had been an issue with VTuner, but it wasn’t clear if that problem was old or still an issue. Concurrently I decided to try another Ethernet cable; I was gone for a week and a lonely “Demon Kitty” may have chewed on the cable. Surprisingly, VTuner worked fine now! I inspected the original cable and found no damage. I left the new cable in place for a couple days without issue, so I switched back to the original cable and it worked fine!? That is, it worked for a couple a days then it repeated the issue. A plug/unplug and the cable is working Ok again, so I’m still not sure what the problem is.

To follow on with JRemote; when I was having the issue with VTuner, I decided to just listen to ripped albums via JRiver. I opened JRemote and had some issues finding the PC two floors up. Finally got it to hook up and it would find the library, i could select an album, hit play, and … nothing. I did this several times and it was having trouble keeping track of the new selections, the original album selected being displayed in the lower left corner. So I went upstairs to the PC, made sure JRiver was playing to the Bridge and then selected an album and hit play. I went back downstairs (with a couple of minute delay) and the music was playing, yeah! Then it stopped, boo! I fiddled with JRemote but could not get the music to restart. At this point I gave up and played a CD … When I swapped out the Ethernet cable I tried JRiver again and it worked Ok, though it was still having issues with album selection “memory”. For the last few days, however, all is well.

I should add that there was also an app update for JRemote while I was gone, so both MConnect HD and JRemote apps have been updated on my iPad. I think there was also an update to JRiver, but my mind is scrambled.

So the question is, has anyone else experienced this? If yes, could it be the most recent Bridge update? (Yes, I did search the forum, but didn’t find anything even though I recall discussion at least somewhat related. This thread was one that I couldn’t find. Remember, scrambled mind …). If this is unique to me, any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Ocassionally I have troubles that sound similar (don’t use mconnect or mcontrol) after a power outage. The “system” doesn’t work properly after everything powers back up. I have to shut down JRiver (including media center - stays loaded on the PC (user selectable) even after shutting down the JRiver shell), reboot my DSD, reload JRiver (including media center). Everththing works perfectly after that. Until I do this, The bridge jumps in and out of JRiver. Luckily for me, utility power in my area is very reliable. Regardless, it’s an easy fix.

Edit: I’m running the latest, stable, version of JRiver and JRemote on a Win 10 machine.

Thanks for the quick reply! I want to say the power cycling may have started the whole thing, but I’ve been doing this for several years without a glitch. Makes me think something in the software side caused this, but then again … It’s working fine right now so I’m not tempting fate.

1 Like

Thanks so much @radio-seaside . Was able to borrow a neighbor’s windows laptop and it worked like a charm. The problem has VANISHED. It WAS the firmware on the Bridge. I’m surprised more people aren’t experiencing the same problem. It RELIABLY misbehaved almost every time and is doing something with regard to changing bit depth between recordings from 24 bit back to 16 then to 24 again. And this has been going on Since the release of that firmware obviously which means for months with no patch. Backloading the old firmware solved the problem instantly.