Bridge II update?

How does the uR compare with and without the Matrix?

Do you mean on the DAC? Yes, since that is the only output the ultraRendu has. The only input it has is Ethernet.

The main thing I noticed with the Matrix was even better instrument and voice separation in the soundstage resulting in a more 3D soundstage. There were subtle improvements in clarity especially on the low end.

1 Like

I have the Matrix. I’m wondering if adding a mR or uR is worth the expense. So I’m curious your experience of the Matrix with and without the uR?

I agree that the Bridge II is an inferior product on many levels. I wish I could remove it from my DSJ.

Thanks.

10-4.

Thanks.

It’s interesting as the Ultrarendu is even cheaper than the Bridge. But I think if I’d use an external device I’d prefer an I2S instead of USB connection. Did you also try the Auralic in comparison? Maybe I try to listen to one of the external ones on occasion…just right now it sounds good enough with the Bridge to not get nervous.

With the UltraRendu, it can feed the Matrix which then can feed the DS I2S… While I’ve not personally heard the uR with the Matrix, I’m confident the uR/Matrix combo would trounce the Bridge II…

I’ve looked for an Ethernet endpoint with I2S out and have yet to find one I am willing to pull the trigger on. I need an endpoint that will act as an HQPlayer NAA. I was content using the USB out to the DirectStream as it sounded wonderful. But, all the noise on here about the Matrix SPDIF 2 using I2S out to the DirectStream got me interested in trying one. It didn’t hurt that @tedsmith likes the Matrix as well. I have been quite pleased with the setup. The Matrix is still running off of USB power and it seems, based on forum feedback, to sound even better when powered by a quality LPS. So it could improve even more.

The difference between the Bridge II and my current setup is not at all small!

2 Likes

I can assure you it does

I use an Auralic Mini > DSD Sr (w/BII)… It is cheap, provides a wireless streaming option and sounds amazing going into the Sr. The Optical option by far gives the best sound. The problem I ran into is that the Mini would only reliably pass an optical signal up to 24/96K so no DSD (DoP) or higher rez PCM. I ran across another thread on here where a fellow PSA’r had found a USB>Tos/spdif converter on Alibaba, it was $50! I took the plunge and figured I’d try considering the price. Was really blown away as I wasn’t expecting much. Optical will now pass 24/192 (as spec’d by the converter) thus allowing DSD to stream over optical from the Mini. This solution sounds WAY better than using the bridge (which I always had connection stability problems with (wireless)), better than the USB connection and Spdif. Couldn’t be happier! the following is a link to the converter I bought if anyone is interested… https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.14e44c4d1SSvyV&orderId=101572567986997&productId=32813688802

1 Like

Hi, I’ve just placed an order on this one on 14 days return:
[https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/mano-ultra]

Its basically a low noise RaspPI 2 with a good LPS and re-clocked I2S output. I will test it against Bridge 2. I also read a lot of reports that an Auralic G1 /G2 or SOTM SMS-200 ultra would sound better than B2. All of these still spend a lot of money and effort on cleaning out and re-clocking the USB path. The Mano Ultra devices are build on request so it will take about 2 weeks before I get it and another 1 1/2 weeks for a proper break-in before I can report back.

Regards

Kurt

1 Like

Kurt, I need NAA support which I don’t think the Mano Ultra supports. But, I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the sound. I always worry about the sound quality from RPi-based devices.

Hi Kurt,

I have one of these and think it sounds at least as good as the BII.
It’s worked flawlessly from an operational point of view as well. No ticks during dsd playback. No loud bursts of static.

The only downside in the whole experience was that I requested Ropieee be installed when I ordered. Unfortunately it came with some other OS installed, so I had to open it up to put my own microSD card with Ropieee on it.

Regards
Mark

Thanks for your feedback Mark although my hope is that it will perform better. As I don’t have any static bursts and only tiny ticks at the very end of DSD tracks with B2, I’m not going to change if there is no or only little improvement in SQ. Will see …

Do you have any thoughts on burn-in time ? B2 needed about 300hrs. I guess the Mano will need about the same.

Regards

Kurt

I’m running a very similiar thing.

Raspi 3B+ with Volumio, Allo Kali I2S ReClocker feeding an I2S -> LVDS board. supplied by a DIY Linear Power supply.
It is feeding my PW DAC via I2S and for my ears sounds better than the inegrated B2.

1 Like

PS Audio still testing the new bridge firmware? Any real time frame to become available?

I’m still somehow reluctant with a converter put inbetween when I can have a streamer that outputs i2S directly (like Bridge). But I must admit I’m somehow lost with the streamer topic. I know there are pro’s and con’s with the Bridge (II or III) as highly integrated i2S device (as the integration into the DAC itself has pro’s and con’s compared to external units). When people claim that external streamers that are partly cheaper sound better, have no bugs in combination with 3rd party server SW and support any library SW that’s for sure an argument. On the other side add. power and i2S cabling is necessary with an external unit and every setup is so different in it’s isolation/power cirquit effort, that results of comparisons may vary.

The price difference between the current or new Bridge and the Octave server will be big. I don’t want to spend as much as octave will cost and there might be better and more flexible options than the bridge for a price inbetween. I guess I really would have to compare myself or read more about comparisons until I’m able to decide what I would do from a pure SQ perspective.

1 Like

Hi Kurt,

I was extremely impressed with what I heard right away - unusual for me when putting a new component in the system.

Had a long listening session yesterday and remain very happy with what I’m hearing.
Has it improved over time? Possibly, but there’s not much in it.

Regards
Mark

The problems with the Bridge II are many. First, it is not really a PS Audio product and they are at the mercy of another company to make any fixes. Second, it is internal to the DirectStream and thus uses power from the unit and creates noise internal to the unit. It using I2S internally is not really any advantage since I2S can be accessed externally. Other issues include limited PCM and DSD input rates that the external USB and I2S interfaces don’t have. That all adds up to a product that is compromised.

Knowing the above, it is all too easy to understand how external products could and do sound much better.

That’s why high end companies like DCS use an external bridge with its own power supply.