Can vol. control be refined by an update?

I find that the remote moves the volume control up/down much to slowly for my taste. Certainly it is something i can live with, but would you consider/is it possible that a future update would allow for gain to increase more rapidly or to select a slow/fast mode for gain. Or if not selectable, can it be programmed to move in 2-3Db increments when held for longer than 2-3 seconds?

Just to double check: are you talking about the DS or the DS Jr?

In the case of the Jr I definitely agree. The DS seems fine to me, but I understand that everyone has different preferences on these kind of things. I’ve used remotes that speed up if the volume button is pressed for a while and after you get used to them they work well for me.

I’ll see if we can look at it.

For the DS Jr.

Many thanks for looking into it. If not too much trouble, i think it would be of high convenience.

+1

i also find when I use the ds jr in preamp mode driving a minidsp to my LinkwitzLab LXmini’s that the gain speed is just lethargic. So bad that I might go back to full and try to adjust it it from the Roon side of things for now…but I would rather reach for the remote than have to crab iOS device and unlock and then get into the app to have to do a simple adjustment

+1

I’ve gone back to using my preamp volume, it’s not real fast but, it’s lighting fast compared to the DSJr’s volume control. Really bad when you play something that’s soft and low with the volume up a little in the evening, then get up in the morning and want to play something loud to get you going. And, yikes, need to turn it down fast!

More feedback for consideration on the Jr…

I note that the Mute control is separate from volume control, i.e. Mute can be engaged and no sound will be outputted even if i am raising or lowering the volume from the remote.

I would request that Mute be automatically disengaged when one raises or lowers the volume from the remote. For me, this would be consistent with how other like devices are working and makes strong intuitive sense. As is, the functionality is less. Is my player on pause? Is the Mute on? Why is vol. not working…? Maybe Bridge needs to be reset…? This loop of questions can be avoided. mmm_gif

Any others have an opinion to share - either on this or the speed of the vol. control on the Jr.?

Totally agree…you also have to find the remote as thats the only way to get mute off…short of a full shutdown I assume.

Now there is at the bridge for the Jr built in…why don’t we see an iOS/Andriod app available to control it too? This is now rather common with the like of OPPO and even TV manufactures now - I can control my Panasonic too this way.

I agree as well.

I like mutes that remain muted if you lower the volume, but unlatch if you raise the volume.

I agree. That helps when you hit mute because the volume is way too high and need to lower it quite a bit before you want the sound back on.

Exactly.

Then there needs to be a way from the unit without the remote to unmute…

pehaps raising the volume can unmute it and lowering will continue to keep it muted…until you up it a little again … would that be workable?

The suggestion to keep mute on when lowering the volume is a fine variation on the theme and to me provides not too much improvement over the overarching idea that when volume is changed, up or down, the mute is disengaged. To me, i don’t see too much utility for keeping the mute engaged when lowering since you ultimately have to press the mute button to get music to play again. I do see the point that if mute was engaged at a high volume, then lowering will deliver some immediate noise if mute disengages automatically …Now if the volume levels went up and down much faster, this would be less of an issue. (Back to the original point. mmm_gif).

Would be good to hear other opinions. Still, I think points are clearly made and i am grateful to PS mgt for considering and hopefully implementing an improvement!

wizardofoz said pehaps raising the volume can unmute it and lowering will continue to keep it muted...until you up it a little again ... would that be workable?
My television works this way. It makes sense and works well.
Then there needs to be a way from the unit without the remote to unmute…
Do you want a mute/unmute button on the unit itself? You can mute/unmute from the front panel of the DS.
Elk said Do you want a mute/unmute button on the unit itself? You can mute/unmute from the front panel of the DS.
Not on the Junior

ahh

On the junior I’d like to see a menu item that disables the volume control at max volume. I don’t use it. Will never use it. And would like to take it out of the mix with a menu command that would disable the knob so I don’t accidentally reduce the gain from 100. Just my two cents.

I understand what your motivation for disabling the volume control when at 100, but it’s unnecessary. The reason is simple. There actually isn’t one.

The DAC performs the level change internally through the FPGA, but not as a separate module, just changes in the code itself - and since it’s a code based DAC - there aren’t any extra parts to change volume. The front panel controls simply instruct the DAC what level to produce.

Ted Smith said

Just to double check: are you talking about the DS or the DS Jr?

In the case of the Jr I definitely agree. The DS seems fine to me, but I understand that everyone has different preferences on these kind of things. I’ve used remotes that speed up if the volume button is pressed for a while and after you get used to them they work well for me.

I’ll see if we can look at it.

Hi @tedsmith

Just wondering if you have any info to share? Still of interest to PS Audio?

First let me be clear: I don’t know when the next release will be, nor what will be included.

Still Dennis has given me some test code that among other things has a volume control that works well and it has some other requested features.

I’d rather not discus these features until we get closer to a release, you never know what things interact with other things, e.g. we might have to pull a feature or two for the final release if there are unforeseen bugs, restrictions, …