CD/SACD ripper recommendations PLEASE!

Nothing wrong with CDs.

But if you sell the CD you have to delete the ripped file. You do not own the right to rip the CD and then sell the CD. You have to keep the CD if you keep the ripped file.

4 Likes

All of this is making several presumptions. You are presuming the seller of the CD’s only has one copy of that CD? The guy who sold me these CD’s had numerous duplicates of the exact same CD (how many I do not know). I do not know the laws, but is it definitively illegal if someone rips a CD, sells it, but has the exact same music on vinyl?

Absolutely there is a presumption. You presume that person is selling their one and only CD of the music that was ripped. And, if you paid attention, I never advocated the practice of ripping a CD and selling CDs.

Yes, this is definitively illegal.

2 Likes

I’m a long-time fan of a Windows-based CD ripping app called Exact Audio Copy (EAC). I ripped my entire CD library of around 900 discs over a few months. It uses an excellent error detection and correction scheme to give you a high degree of confidence of producing ‘bit-perfect’ rips. It also allows you to optionally convert the .wav files to .flac after each track is ripped. I donate a modest sum to the developer each time he releases a new version. I believe in encouraging good software products. :wink:

These days, I prefer to download the CD-quality and higher resolution files when available only resorting to buying the physical media where downloads are not available. There are a number of online record stores, including Octave Records, who now offer their catalogue with the download option.

One final point. As others here have already written, I encourage you to do the right thing and pack away your physical media while you possess and use the ripped files.

1 Like

Me too.
“I’m going to rip my CDs to put the music on a streamer SSD. But I won’t sell I will keep my physical CDs”

3 Likes

Well, that’s just wonderful…we have agreed with everything. Ripping CD’s and selling the CD’s without retaining at least one CD copy is illegal. People are selling a lot of CD’s making it a buyers market for what may have been previously hard to get titles. No specific person is being blamed for this practice. Everyone paying attention now?

So good for you. I’ve never ripped my CDs and I’ve never sold any CD’s ever. Regardless of what others have done with their CDs, they aren’t blood diamonds.

Buying a new CD, t-shirts, and other swag means food for musicians and others in the industry.

There is nothing wrong with buying or selling a used CD, as long as no one is keeping a ripped copy. If someone is keeping a ripped copy, pass and buy a new CD.

Easy.

Here’s what I found and love what I’m reading about on their site.

Either the “HIGHEND” model @ $5500
-OR the “AEON” model @ $7500

1 Like

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that if you sell a ripped CD, I honestly don’t care. Just like I don’t care that in Vermont it’s illegal for a neighborhood association to ban clotheslines, or that in Wisconsin it’s illegal to throw a rock at a train. Just doesn’t matter to me one way or the other.

But it’s ok if such things matter you :+1:

Well, I certainly opened the door, but you tossed in the grenade. :scream_cat::wink:

1 Like

I used a software hack in my OPPO 105 to rip bit perfect DSF data stream to the ethernet port for capture on my Mac. Must have ripped 100 SACD’s to DSF64 & DSF128. Plays perfectly via Roon or Jriver.

And yes, I kept the SACD’s.

BTW, all the Moody Blues recordings from the 60’s after Lodge and Hayworth joined the band to early 70’s is surreal. Probably the most astonishing unlock of an original old recording I’ve ever witnessed. Shocking actually.

And . . . It’s a dud.

Perhaps PS Audio could start a CD exchange like Discogs, except we have certified rip free CDs? A white ribbon could be placed over the CD, “sanitized for your protection.” Or better yet, just automatically add licensing fees paid to the artists and engineers for every CD sold, much like charging carbon credits.

The law regarding private citizens ripping and selling their CD’s is no longer enforced. The recording industry no longer pursues such cases. The law has a become legally meaningless.

All that’s left is one’s personal opinion on the matter. Which is totally fine. But that’s all it is, one’s personal opinion.

And . . . .

It is still a dud.

3 Likes

Again, your personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less :joy:

You could also read about the Euphony music server.

Remember, the industry and the government can start enforcing the law any time they want. It just takes the right leaders.