CD/SACD ripper recommendations PLEASE!

I understand your claim.

Still a dud.

1 Like

Do you lack the verbal skills to present anything other than ā€œitā€™s a dudā€? Is that the title of your thesis? :joy:

Those laws will never be enforced again in the history of the world. The CD is drifting further and further into irrelevance. Irrelevant laws for an increasingly irrelevant format.

Therefore the legal basis for your opinion has no practical meaning. All weā€™re left with is your personal opinion which only has influence over yourself.

Iā€™m not advocating for ripping and selling CDs. I have never sold any of my ripped CDs. Iā€™ve kept them all for archive purposes. And by sheer luck, am experiencing a new interest in physical CDs.

My issue is with all the meaningless sanctimonious ramblings about you can only do such and such because the law says such and such. Such sentiments are stuck in a 30 year old time warp. All parties who have an actionable say on this topic have completely moved on. Youā€™re welcome to maintain your personal opinion on the matter, of course. Iā€™m not discounting your personal passion on the topic nor in anyway trying to convince you to change your mind.

Iā€™m only pointing out that the world has moved on.

1 Like

SudS stated:

This implies there is going to be Flash! Bang! Drama! A flurry of excited posts!

But, no. Just your expected position and silence, aka a dud. :rofl:

But I am curious as to your source for the assertion:

Citation?

1 Like

Youā€™re sorting of asking me to prove there are no aliens living on Neptune. And when I can produce no evidence showing no aliens living on Neptune, you claim an intellectual victory. Thatā€™s a red herring.

My understanding of the issue largely comes from the book ā€œHow Music Got Freeā€, which I suggest you read.

Can you provide any examples, ever, of someone ripping their CDs, selling them, and keeping the ripped files and being prosecuted?

Even back when the recording industry was prosecuting teenagers for file sharing, no one that I know of was charged for selling their CDs and keeping ripped files. And the prosecution of file sharing did nothing to stop the tidal wave so they stopped prosecuting file sharing which was a vastly greater threat than people selling ripped used CDs. Theyā€™ve instead turned to music services, which are far more effective than prosecutions.

I invite you to find a single case both ever, but certainly within the past 5 years, in which anyone was prosecuted for selling their used CDs and keeping the ripped files. Such a prosecution would require the FBIā€™s ability to investigate, and they arenā€™t interested. And as the book explains, the music recording business never had the connections in congress that the movie industry had.

Itā€™s totally fine to believe as you believe. Itā€™s just not grounded in modern day actionable law. Thatā€™s beyond dispute. But you donā€™t need the law to validate your opinion. Be your own man, stand on your own 2 feet. Own your stance without regard for the practical and actual legal landscape.

I personally would have no qualms selling my ripped CDs. I keep them because I like them, not because Iā€™m worried about Elk vigilantes bringing me to justice :joy::eyes:

You asserted:

Your response indicates you have nothing to back up this claim but your own belief and speculation - which is fine but for your misplaced assertion I am responsible to prove otherwise. Nonsense. You made the claim, not I.

As to the rest, you argue from a position of ethical relativism in which I have zero interest.

2 Likes

I understand your thinking, but is fine to share how to rip CDs and SACDs as it is completely OK to put those rips on your own server to listen to them.

It can get a bit complicated and confusing.

1 Like

Even more interesting, here is a legal article that states that if you are ripping CDs for ease of use (and if we are being honest, itā€™s at least 95% of the reason people rip CDs), you are committing copyright infringement. Essentially the only legitimate reason for making a copy is to have a backup in case the original is destroyed or stolen.

1 Like

A very absurd response. You are demonstrating no interest in whatā€™s actually true. As Iā€™ve stated, you are fully entitled to have your belief system. A system that on this topic, the law no longer has interest in. You have proven yourself to be very misinformed with zero interest in becoming informed. Your line of thinking is both ignorant and bizarre.

Without enforcement, what difference does it make?

The difference is, the people who cast stones often live in glass houses.

What does that mean? How does copyright law pertain to stones and glass houses? Iā€™m not saying it doesnā€™t, just asking you to explain your statement so I can better understand what youā€™re trying to convey.

My reason for responding to all of this is that I know there are different views on this topic. And it often follows a similar pattern. Those on one side speak loudly. Those on the other usually walk away. I respond because I find the clannish one sided thinking to be boring and silly. And the idea of clamoring on about laws that are rarely if ever enforced, seems equally silly. Time would be better spent doing citizenā€™s arrests for jaywalking.

Ripped CDs shall be sold. And thereā€™s nothing this obscure forum is going to do about it. Thatā€™s the what is. You can agree or disagree with the what is, but the what is shall remain the same.

And to remind, I have never sold a ripped CD, nor do I plan on doing so.

Insults and other ad hominem comments do not further your argument.

I believe this thread has run its courseā€¦

Naw. Just needs to get back on topicā€¦

Which it no doubt will, eventuallyā€¦

1 Like

But, at least here in the US, there have been cases of the industry (I think ASCAP) suing common people like you and me for illegal copying. 2-3 years ago, I remember reading of a man sued for something like $20-30M for illegally selling a couple of thousand songs. I remember as it was $10,000 per song, I thought that was an excessive amount to try to get from a little guy.

1 Like

Oh gee, now someone has hidden two posts I made, deeming it inappropriate. In it I made a factual observation about the history of laws. The point being that all laws are relative. They are the relative conclusions of a group of humans at a certain point in history, rather than being ordained from some supreme source. And from that point, itā€™s up to each person whether or not to follow those laws and deal with the potential consequences. That the perceived authority of law is an illusion. It only has power if people agree upon giving it that power. And that agreement is a relative position.

And I applauded Elkā€™s devotion to his position. That was a genuine compliment. I do appreciate that heā€™s sticking to his convictions. And I apologized for how my tone may have offended him.

The second post was about the enforcement difference between used CD sales and torrenting. In that post I made it clear that I do not advocate piracy. It was in response to @tarheelneil ā€™s post.

I am totally ok with anyone disagreeing with my opinions. But censorship of a very well thought out and decent post is crossing a line.

I challenge whatever cowards hid my posts to a pistol duel at dawn! :joy:. (I like Masterpiece Theatre, and that seems how they settle these sorts of disputes - thatā€™s a joke, just in case itā€™s not clear)

When a post is flagged by other members you are given an opportunity to rewrite your post.

I suspect, upon reflection, you will figure out what others find unacceptable in how you express your views.

@Elk I have many talents. Mind reading is not one of them. If someone finds something in my post inappropriate, they are welcome to tell me what is. I will listen and consider the feedback and convey whether or not I agree with that feedback. Only at that point can I possibly rewrite it, should I deem it necessary.

Disagreeing with someoneā€™s opinion and flagging it secretly inappropriate is a bit ridiculous in my book.

And your system that requires a poster to somehow divine what some unknown personā€™s issue is, is very dysfunctional. And a bit sad that you are using anotherā€™s clandestine feedback to squash an opinion with which you disagree.

Itā€™s ok to have different opinions. Truly, it is :+1::rainbow:

Many people have differing opinions here and we love hearing them. But you have been rather insulting with your rhetoric, so much so that I have muted and ignored you forever. Maybe itā€™s time to take a look at your inner self, and find and correct the reason for your lack of civility

1 Like

Wait. There are no aliens on Neptune? :slight_smile:

4 Likes