Coffee Ramblings

A work of art

Alessi makes several very cool stovetop pots. I have two of them, the Moka and the Pulcina (red handle).

1 Like

Deleted

3 Likes

Bought a vacuum canister yesterday. How did I live without it? Itā€™s the cable riser of the coffee world.

3 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s some collection you have. Lovely shape to the kettle!

Itā€™s called Il Conico. It was designed by Aldo Rossi in 1988, we bought it in 1994. They still make it.

1 Like

Lovely stuff!

Sapele, as in musical instruments? :wink:

I had a CD player with custom wood side panels.

2 Likes

Did it brew coffee? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: perhaps with itā€™s laserā€¦ :grin: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks. Yes, itā€™s a cousin to Mahogany.

1 Like

It was a very fine CD player and almost as heavy as my coffee machine. I think they insulated the CD drive in a lead casing.

My first cassette player in 1973, an AKAI GXC 46, was graced by wooden panelling (actually chipboard and veneer). An excellent unit. I retired it in 2007 when we downsized

I like a bit of wood panelling. As posted elsewhere, in November I had a random piece of furniture I saw online and bought the next day converted to something more useful than a CD player. Apparently itā€™s called ā€œup cyclingā€. Fortunately it was oak, as lots of these things are pine. Itā€™s giving almost as much please as the new brewing station and Lelit machine.

Ah. Someone else has discovered the value of using a proper coffee bean cannister. Mine is a Bean Envy. Donā€™t know why it took me so long to fork out the 30 bucks or so for it. Maybe because it seemed so mundane it couldnā€™t possibly be worth even the shipping cost.
Wrong!

1 Like

Yes, I noted with a sensation strangely akin to envy that you had moved yet further upmarket. I normally profess that I am a simple man who merely grinds his beans in an ancient blade grinder and then uses an equally ancient filter machine, with a sequence of soak and flow stages laboriously evolved over decades, to get just the right flavour balance from the beans he roasts every three days.

This bit of inverse snobbery has been upset recently when the blade grinder died and I replaced it with a Krups GVX231 adjustable burr grinder (but not with ceramic burrs, so I still have the common touch). This grinds more evenly and finely and I am painfully having to re-evolve my sequences, :frowning:

1 Like

On average, I roast once a week and Iā€™ve used Airscape storage products for several years.

I purchase preferred/profiled seasonal offerings when they hit Sweet Mariaā€™s, so bucket size Airscape for bagged green beans really helps to extend the shelf-life. I can have 10-20 lbs on-hand after an order.

Once roasted, I use 2 one lb canisters for approx 1 weekā€™s worth of storage.

I weigh out 2 x 18 grams/daily ā€œrationsā€ (2 cups per day) and separate them w/additionally purchased stacked inner lids.

Thereā€™s enough room in each canister to allow for off-gas expansion and ensures no fresh O2 is introduced until the day each ration is used. Always fresh and most roasts taste best after 24-72 hrs of rest.

Admittedly, Iā€™m a bit anal when it comes to this but no more/less than audio. :heart_eyes: And, the two loves intersect each day!

2 Likes

I use the Airscape. Itā€™s the best Iā€™ve owned. I usually take 7 days-ish to go through a bag of beans. The beans are the same from day1 through day7.

1 Like

iā€™m gonna have coffee in the morning and itā€™s gonna be great

2 Likes

No way any of you coffee enthusiasts could ever reject the requirements of vinyl.

Itā€™s very similar. I mostly have pour over every morning. Weighing the beans, grinding them in a burr grinder, using an electric temp controlled gooseneck pot, and weighing the pour to somewhere between 760 and 800 grams (I make two cups at once), depending on the beans. All timed to happen in 3 minutes.

Of course Iā€™m listening to music.

Whatā€™s not to like? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cleaning an LP is also a process.

3 Likes