Compatible I2S source devices

Does anyone know if Roon ROCK linux build supports the Pink Faun i2s card?

Ask Pink Faun. I’m pretty sure they will let you try one. Note that the card does not support DSD.

Will do. I have a PS Audio Directstream so I let it do the DSD. Does Pink Faun have a US distributor or retailer that really knows the product or best to email Pink Faun directly?

Contact them directly. They have no US representation. Note that if you have a DSD source, you need to convert to PCM to use the I2S card. The DirectStream then converts back to DSD, but it stands to reason something gets lost in translation (x2). I am using Dirac on the server so I have to convert to PCM anyway. If you are looking for a clean DSD signal path, the Pink Faun won’t do the trick. Purely academic issue for me.

Received a quick response from PF. As you said, no US distributor, but can purchase directly and return if not happy. It’s a chunk of change for what might be a very modest improvement. I think I’ll focus elsewhere for now.

I say try it with no risk, but your call.

Is the Audio GD i2s -> hdmi module only option for raspberry/sparky to get i2s into psa gear? I’m currently using raspberry pi with allo digione and sparky with usbridge and want to upgrade the connection to i2s. For software I use Moodeaudio and Volumio.

Just out - the Ambre from Metrum, looks like the first properly manufactured Network streamer with I2S outputs amongst others. Here is a first review…

It’s a RJ45 I2S output. You will need a Metrum Acoustics DAC with I2S module installed to use the Ambre’s I2S output.

i2s module

Maybe not for everyone but that should be an easy enough tweak with an Audio gd HDMI module to use with PS DACs.

Hmm, I like to tinker now and then but in this case… I don’ t see any sense in the Ambre as a partner (via I2S and also from its specs. no DSD?) for the DS DAC especially when you already own the Bridge II. I think it is better to wait for the Bridge III and hope for its Roon bridge-readiness. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure, understood. If I didn’t have my own Sparky I2S streamer on the go I would be interested as it has Toslink, XLR and AES outputs too which get good reviews. Hopefully this is a first sign of industry interest fuelled by the RPI I2S cottage industry.

Not sure if I want to laugh but the Ambre is a better pi, with running RoPieee as Tom (cinematic) has found out. Ambre new RoonReady endpoint (pls scroll down for his further posts.)

Well, with RoPieee, native DSD should be possible. RoPieee even makes possible DSD512 via the pi’s USB output.

Here is a breakdown of my Sparky I2S Roon endpoint chain, which I have been working on for some months. I had a few issues which I have sorted out now and everything is running very smoothly and reliably. The start up sequence is crucial which took me a while to understand and I damaged a few boards which needed replacing. I’ve added DIY PoE cables on all the DC power lines and now the result is superb and giving me a SQ that I am very satisfied with using the I2S input of my PS Audio Junior DAC. I am hoping to retire from tweaking for now :slight_smile: and focus on other things - especially the MUSIC which I am enjoying tremendously.

2 Likes

@tapatrick Hi, it’s a big project, great :slight_smile: Could you share what problem you had to solve with the startup sequence ?
Thanks

Hi @patr
Apart from problems with boards, power supplies and LT3045 voltage regulators, not to mention adjusting the Dietpi software and making sure all the cabe connections are secure I found out that this startup sequence in this order works everytime:

Start up my tube amp, then my PS Junior DAC, then the power supply for my network switch and wait until it has completed its cycle. Then the power supply for the HDMI module, then my 2 Ian Canadas boards, (Isolator and reclocker), only then boot up the Sparky and when it has loaded and Ethernet is active, start my Music server. I had a few weeks when I could not get it all to work together and this was the solution.
Hope that helps…

So you really have to follow a careful startup procedure.:astonished:
Sorry but I don’t see clearly the chained modules between your
Sparky SBC and the final stage (AudioGD I2S/HDMI).
The LAN isolator and reclocker are only on the LAN side between your network switch and the Sparky SBC ?

:slight_smile: No, there are no LAN isolators etc between the switch and the Sparky. The sparky runs Roon bridge software (making it a network roon endpoint connected by ethernet from the switch), it is then connected by I2S cables to the McFifo isolator board, then to the McDualXO board, then to the HDMI module, then to the I2S input into my Junior DAC. It sounds amazing…
See here:

1 Like

@tapatrick Thank you for the information.
It’s interesting to see this streamer architecture. How do you configure the RoonBridge to output on the SBC’s I2S ? As far as I know, I can be wrong, Roon only detect any device on the USB port…

The McFifo (and McDualXO board) is a HAT and has to be selected in Dietpi which has to be configured to recognise it. In software like Volumio (which has a GUI interface) the output can be selected too.