Compatible I2S source devices

You need 4 differential pairs for I2S, that’s a minimum of 8 non-ground wires. USB has four wires total. (I2S could use 6 wires (plus some grounds) if you ignore MCLK, but earlier PS Audio products and many other products use MCLK.) HDMI cables are designed for multiple LVDS connections, USB is far from it (not all cables use identical wire gauges, etc for all of the wires.)

2 Likes

Thanks Ted, it’s clear now :slight_smile:

Does anyone knows if other component with I2S through HDMI cables like the W4S music server will work using both I2S connections via HDMI? I am talking about the DS Senior here.

The chart at http://www.i2s.sonore.us/ is useful.

1 Like

Many thanks Ted!

The reason this thread has 546 comments is that the DS Memory Player fit’s the PS Audio Signature series price tag only.

It would be really great if PS Audio could make a Stellar Memory Player.

4 interfaces:

1st: I2S HDMI LVDS to connect to the PS Audio DAC for SACD DSD layer and all other digital stereo audio formats

2nd: 1 HDMA ARC with 2 functions:

• output DVD / Blu Ray video content to the TV in 4K
  • forward TV (and all connected sources) sound to the I2S interface

3rd: Bluetooth, with again 2 functions:

• user interface by smart phone / tablet app
  • allow streaming from portable devices

4th: Ethernet for streaming (Stellar GCD has no bridge option)

To safe cost, no user interface, just a slot drive with eject button and status LED(s). Should fit the same enclosure as the Stellar P3 Power Plant.

With this, even Stellar (money is an issue) customers, can do with yet 2 to 3 boxes less (even the big A/V receivers) and would add just another good looking Stellar device stacked on the Stellar GCD with M300 power amp. Now all signals, even multi media would be treated with PS Audio Stellar sound processing.

Oppo did this even including DAC and analog connectors and tons of other stuff for US$ 800, why would PS Audio not be able to pull this off, all technology is basically in house even the drive and enclosure, I believe even the US$ 600 Sprout has bluetooth on board. Sice it would repack 2 devices of mine (the old BluRay and A/V Receiver) I trust PS Audio could price this the same as the Stellar GCD.

This would complete the Stellar line and avoid PS Audio DAC customers looking for a more affordable I2S source, disc player, streamer or HDMI stereo sound extractor somewhere else.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried Ian Canada’s new FiFoPi Ultimate? Ultimate Fifo He also has an LVDS HDMI board HDMI
From what I can gather these are as good if not better than much more expensive ready built streamers, understandable because its DIY. I love the fact that its modular and stacks on top of the RPI.

1 Like

I noticed that the FifoPi utilizes kind of the same principle as PS Audios digital lens. PS Audio implemented it in their DAC’s, even the Stellar Gain Cell DAC.

The minor petty is that the FifoPi HDMI I2S outputs DSD as DoP while the PS Audio HDMI I2S accepts up to DSD 128 directly. If PS Audio accepts also DoP on I2S it could work. DoP conversion is completely lossless, but it does require processing circuits. I doubt whether you would hear any difference though.

The DS DACs accept DSD up to 128 as DoP or native over I2S as well as USB. Native DSD is converted to DoP for internal processing so it’s not clear native has any real advantage over DoP, although some claim it sounds better.

Thanks, so good news to FifoPi, in case the pin configuration matches PS Audio’s interface. Perhaps native sounds a bit better with the Direct Stream DAC’s they process native DSD. I use DoP over USB with the Stellar Gain Cell DAC and it sounds great.

1 Like

My DSD playback is via my Sony UBP-X100ES’s internal True/Native DSD DAC (up to 11.2MHz in 2.0 channel) is my way only way via the analog inputs of my SGCD. For 5.1 DSD playback, I use the Sony STR-DN1080 with the hacked by me analog true differential XLR outs.

I actually prefer the SGCD’s DAC only for PCM playback and the Sony DAC’s for DSD. One day, I’d like to try a Matrix-2 or Sonore USB to HDMI/I2S adapter box just to see if it’s better, I have Audirvana on trial and the Jury is still out on whether I notice a real world improvement or not.

I will be using the SGCD but I just figured those that have tried it say I2S sounds better, makes sense as its less processing, I will be playing mostly red book but I would like to try some of the HiRes stuff out there and maybe roon.

Nothing wrong with the sound quality of my USB input on the Stellar Gain Cell DAC. I have no I2S source to compare with.

I don’t want to use usb, I have a squeezebox touch and a duet, the touch was way better than jriver running bit perfect into my old DAC, nothing wrong with that either but as far as I know the stellar needs drivers so I can’t use the squeezebox. Hopefully my DAC should land in the next couple of days and I can see what the coax input is like.

I have a very simple question that Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T has HDMI I2S output, how can I tell if it will work with DS DAC? Thanks for your help.

I am currently using my Squeezebox touch into my stellar GCD. Both coax and usb, after installing the “enhanced digital output” plugin.

Sorry, not related to the i2s question… But I want to know about ways of using mine too!

I never even thought to check the USB as my last DAC did not work even with the EDO! I will be hooking it up tonight then, Im still toying with Raspberry Pi and Ian Cannada’s add on boards for I2s, they are meant to be way better than SB Touch but Im loving it so far.

I’m trying to find the Sonore Database for I2S and the link that’s provided doesn’t show the content. Does anyone know where I can find the database?

Check the Matrix thread I think Ted posted the link last week.

This the one you’re looking for?

http://www.sonore.us/ultraDigital.html