Compatible I2S source devices

Thanks

1 Like

I realize this thread has been dead a while, and since its inception went in a very very technical DIY direction. But back to the original title, I thought I’d post that I’ve moved from my DS BII to an Antipodes EX server/renderer. It’s a little dear, and isn’t fulfilling the purpose I originally had in mind for it (making it even more expensive) but I thought I’d post my impressions specifically re: HDMI into the DS:

top line: The EX USB output (via Curious Cable) easily beats the BII (on the clean output of an EtherRegen via a not-expensive ethernet cable) in SQ.

next line: The Antipodes P2, their add-on reclocker/platform, via HDMI output, is probably even better than EX USB, probably more neutral, also as easy as falling off a log to get working with the DS.

If you’re willing to spend at this level (and have a separate Roon core) the EX+P2 is highly recommended. If you’re looking for a Roon core, I don’t recommend it – it’s just too slow for large libraries in my experience. This thing was made to be a great endpoint, and it is.

If you care for details, read on.

The Antipodes EX in my config (which included an EtherRegen upstream and, with the EX, a Curious USB cable to the DS) comfortably beat the BII sound quality (also with EtherRegen, which also definitely enhanced definition and detail when I added it to the BII using the same modest Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable used before) in terms of ease and warmth. I would say the soundstage broadened a bit, and things were very smooth indeed. Conceivably over smooth, but I sure didn’t feel like I was losing any detail. The palpability was great, and retrieval of acoustic venue cues improved relative to BII as well.

Next line: I also got the Antipodes P2, which is an external ‘reclocker and converter’ which takes USB (including power) out of the EX and converts to a variety of addl formats including AES/EBU, SPDIF and HDMI. It supports various HDMI pinouts incl PSA. I am still deciding which connection I prefer, but the HDMI connection (again using the Curious USB between EX and P2, and the PSA AC12 HDMI cable to the DS) sounds full, detailed and incisive, works perfectly, and, I’m betting, is the way it’s supposed to sound. (I’m very possibly influenced by Ted saying in his subtle way that HDMI is the best format)

Installation and Use:
Quick intro: the EX runs custom Linux-based OS on a very low-voltage and not-very-fast CPU, and can be configured to run Roon server, Roon Ready endpoint, as well as Squeezebox, HQPlayer and various other pieces of SW, all easily installed through the built-in mgmt sw.

I originally set it up as a Roon server. Short version: it’s too slow for my library. I found it maddening. (I was previously using an old quad-core i7 box, older SSD boot and music on spinning drives, which was sometimes laggy but fine). The EX, controlled by phones and tablets on the network, was slow slow. I set up a new, dedicated Roon server, and have been using the EX’s Roon Ready (endpoint) functionality alone without issue. In this configuration I feel I’m getting the best of both worlds: a fast Roon experience (using a totally standard i5 PC with lots of RAM and SSD for both boot and music storage), network isolation (if you believe in that sort of thing) from the EtherRegen, and the smooth, optimized bit-slinging of the EX.

Deeper Dives, not dived:

• I have not yet turned off / uninstalled Roon Core on the EX. In theory it will be under less load (even though the Roon Core isn’t serving any music streams, the sw is installed and running). Not sure I expect much difference there but sure not going to do it until I’m very sure I have all the stupid metadata in Roon pulled over correctly (don’t get me started).
  • I have not yet pulled the BII out of the DS (no ethernet cable was connected to the BII for any of the EX listening). I am hopeful this will yield a lower noise floor, but … we’ll see.
  • I have been using an old Van den Hul MainsStream power cord for the EX; I’m sure there might be differences if not improvements with other PCs. The DS was using an AC12, and my whole system incl EX, DS, and Focal studio monitors, is run off a P5.
  • There is in fact a word clock input on the P2. Am I going to buy one? doubtful. Would it make a difference given the DS’s clock-agnostic topology? LOL I’ll leave that one to greater minds.
  • There are always more combos of USB and HDMI cables to try. I tire quickly of these comparisons (and spending) so I’m sticking with what I’ve got. Sue me.
  • Actually, now that I’ve mentioned it, I might be able to say that the HDMI is less cable sensitive than USB – that feels like it must certainly be true – but I have not tried. Certainly many of us have observed huge differences between USB cables. If you were trying this config, I’d see if you can save some dollars on HDMI cables.
  • And finally, of course, Antipodes would have me buy their more expensive, i7-based CX box, to pair up as server to the EX with a direct ethernet connection. Would this be better than my current config? I’d like to say no, but then I’d like to not own any $400 USB cables or $1100 power cables. Not all of this stuff is explainable. Perhaps if they’d like me to review it I’d get the chance. : D

Conclusion:
Since I’m back to a separate server for Roon, this is an expensive box. (I’m essentially just using it as a streamer, which is its function in Antipodes’ reference CX - EX configuration). You might well get similar SQ from an Auralic or other streamer, a DIY streamer box, or another customized server box using USB or other output. All I had to compare against was my BII.

For me, the Antipodes is a great turnkey solution, does very high-quality CD ripping (with their own expensive P1 drive or any USB CDR drive, and it works whether you’re using it as a Roon core or not), and has the convenience and savings of user-installable SSDs (handy to be able to easily pull the 4tb SSD after I decided not to use it as a server).

Support has been great.

3 Likes

Great post, very informative!

I’ve finally reported back on some of my later steps here.

@chris_y, would one be able to get Qobuz to run on this Antipodes setup?

Trivially easy to do with Roon of course. If you are not a Roon user I believe Qobuz can be set up with Squeezebox or UPnP.

Since my last update, I’ve added the Shairport app to the Antipodes, which allows me to stream music via Airplay to my stereo – super useful for podcasts and things like that.

I have it running and it works perfectly fine. Getting the FiFoPi to run at its best is not that easy. The newest version (v3) needs a 3.3v external low noise power supply and to make an actual difference, IAN Canada suggests exchanging the oscillators, as the preinstalled oscillators are there only so that you can check that it works. Installing a pair of Crystek oscillators involved SMD soldering of 9 capacitors and the oscillators themselves - no picnic at all!!!
The worst part - I haven’t had the time to do an A/B test of with/without FiFoPi, so no idea if it makes a real difference. Anyhow, it does sound great!

Anyone looking for a SOTA one box streamer, unlike the rest of the line, Antipodes K50 is now PSAudio I2S compatible. the review is here: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/antipodes-k50-music-server/

1 Like

Back in 2018 when I started waiting for a PS Audio Octave Streamer (now to be called AirLens) with I2S HDMI output to a DAC, most of the alternatives I found online were Raspberry Pi based products. The leading contender I saved in my browser then was the Magna Mano.

I also thought pretty long about building a Pink Faun I2S bridge into a mini-PC case. For me, both products were local sourced in the Netherlands.

But I opted to wait on PS Audio, also partly based on the description of their Octave metadata project using MusicBrainz. I was not actually interested in the Octave metadata approach. I was just hoping it meant that PS Audio’s first streamer would come with an app that I could use to pull DSD music files from my NAS. Something like the BluOS app would be great, but DSD capable.

In the meantime, a few denizens of the Octave (now AirLens) forum threads described how they were using add-on boxes the Sonore ultraDigital or the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to convert USB to I2S over HDMI compatible with PS Audio DACs. But I kept waiting on PS Audio.
Sonore ultraDigital

Fast forward some more and PS Audio just announced that that they were over ambitious with the Octave S/W project and the AirLens is coming without any form of app. To quote Paul: “After 5 years of hard work and intense effort we threw in the towel.” And: “There is no app at all. You can feed it with Roon, using it as an end point. You can feed it anything using UPnP/DLNA. You can feed it with AirPlay.”

In the meantime, there are a lot of new products on the market with I2S HDMI outputs. The Nuprime Stream 9 sounded very interesting with SRC upsampling up to DSD256. But it turns out that it cannot serve and playback DSD over the network. Their S1 product can. But it is a mess app-wise.

The Silent Angel M1T however does just what I want, at least up to DSD128 in DoP. It pulls DSD files from my NAS and sends then to my DAC via an app control. The app also supports streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz and Amazon HD… once you update the firmware. As one of the forum members pointed out, it is has a Raspberry Pi 4 in there. But my ears are not complaining.

A recommendation from another PS Audio forum denizen is the Euphony Summus, which is NUC based. This does look like a nice piece of kit that I can recommend to Roon users as well as to folks like myself who like alternative music server software like Euphony offer, i.e., not Roon which is bloated for my taste.

Oh, yeah, and of course there are also Antipodes devices like the K50 mentioned above. One needs a bit more budget for that though.

5 Likes

Good summary and in line with what I’ve been seeing too. I will await for the AirLens at this time for myself. I may be an outlier now, but I’m still enjoying the DS Dac with Bridge II unmodified with Sunlight, with Roon on my PC. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

You are not alone (but Roon is on my iMac). :wink:

Jay’s Audio CDT2/MK3 kills it for Red Book CD.

1 Like

I am in the same boat as @Carousel. I have been waiting for the Octave server, and now I am waiting for the AirLens. Plus, I still need a server with storage. The Euphony Summus looks interesting, and they are coming out with an updated one soon.

That is a nice summary BTW!

1 Like

One consideration would be a device that is currently on the market. For example the offerings from Innuos which IME partnered well with the DSD DAC via USB. Either the Zen or the Zenith might fit your needs. I have been happily running a Zenith Mk III.

1 Like

The Innuos Zen/Zenith Mk 3 is on my list for sure, and I wonder if I still need the AirLens just for the I2S connection. I have to wait until it comes out to find out. Surely some here will tell me later if it will make any difference.

I am very happy with my Sonore Signature Rendu SE mated with the Matrix Spdif 2. Will certainly look at the AirLens when it comes out.

1 Like

One reason I mentioned other options is the notion of an Air Lens is one thing, but on the other hand it begs the question, When? It could be a long wait. The DSD DAC II, the BHK 600 and the Air Lens are all due out, but when? Considering the Aspen has hit the streets I would have thought the BHK 600 would also be available. As the DSD is no longer available I’d speculate and say a logical release order could be BHK 600, then DSD DAC II, then Air Lens. That way you’d have a new DSD II to plug an Air Lens into. In the meantime one could pick-up a lightly used Innuos, and compare that to the Air Lens when it is released. Probably not taking much of a haircut on the the Innuos should one prefer the Air Lens. In the meantime… , well you get the idea.

They have not given updates lately on any of the units you mentioned. So, it is coming out later than summer this year more likely. In that case it makes sense for me to get a Zen for a try, not a Zenith at this point for light trim haircut, and if the AirLens is as great as they say then I can always add it later. I will go shopping soon!

1 Like

With all the confusion the names have caused, do you think they make a new line? Not call it DirectStream? look how much confusion the Jr, sr, perfect wave. Maybe add it to the aspen line? The 600 is easy add on, but maybe a new all digital line with another colorado name. Rocky line…

I tend to agree, a lightly used Zen would be reasonable in the interim. Best of luck on your journey.