Current Opinions of Jays Audio CDT2-MkII Transport

I’m using the Sony to rip the SACD. The ripped DSD file is then play through the streamer. The file through the streamer actually sounds much better than the original SACD through a disc spinner like the PST.

That’s surprising because I would have thought playing through the PST would be the most uncontaminated transmission ie. it didn’t go through the ripping and streaming processes

The digital transports make big differences depending on the quality of the transport. The PST is one of the best out there, but there are better. My Esoteric N-03T is better but do cost a little more.

I just ordered the upgrade to MK3. While I’m doing that I have a couple of questions.
1). Has anybody attached EMF shielding on the back of the display panel? This is a common tweek many people do to their PS Audio Directstream DACs.
2). Has anybody installed the upgraded transport suspension system (Qsus) for their Jays CDT2 MK2/3 the is built by HEADQUATERS Audio? (The same guy who makes the Qstab). If so, how difficult is it to install?

Tim

1 Like

Scott McGowan sent me an email this morning offering the PST for $3999. Can’t and did not say no to that. So I am going to own both. Fun.

8 Likes

Just upgraded the motherboard and display to mk3. A fair amount of work …

Let’s spin some discs now, old Jay’s …

3 Likes

You will be pleased! I love the change I heard when I did mine.

1 Like

A new review in Hi-Fi+ January issue

3 Likes

I’d love to se more, Is it online??!!

Hopefully it will show up on the free website version in the near future. Al, do any of your dealer friends carry Aqua products. Would be interesting for you to try it against the ones you own. Like Grimm they believe AES/EBU is the best output.

1 Like

I have only heard about Aqua gear from you. My dealer hasn’t mentioned it. I need to get informed about what they offer!

1 Like

Sound signatures in line with the DAC’s you like.

2 Likes

soooo, not really jumping to get one of these, but it’s on my list of interesting curiosities, so I’m doing some research and reading and whatnot…

I know obviously it doesn’t play SACD’s… but a bunch of my regular CD’s are HDCD’s. (Thinking primarily of newer Grateful Dead CD pressings, Dave’s picks, lots of Grisman, Rhino releases. I’m sure lots of other stuff out there.)

My regular CD player plays them just fine, but the Jay’s site says its transport doesn’t support them.

Can anyone with a Jay’s Transport confirm this?

It will play them it just doesn’t have the encoding-decoding technology included that is now owned by Microsoft. Not sure how many current manufacturers still are willing to pay Microsoft for the use license. I can’t remember the last unit I owned that did include it. May have been the Norh CD-1 from the early 2000’s that was based on the CAL Audio players and DAC’s.

1 Like

HDCDs play just fine in mine. I doubt their is any HDCD processing but I don’t know for certain.
(I just played Adrian Belew “Side One” which is identified as an HDCD)

(I could test more if you wish)

It sounds great!

1 Like

thanks, Al! Keep going! More More MORE!

I wonder why that disclaimer is on the detail page for the transport?

Doing a little digging on HDCD, and it was a format introduced to get 20 bits out of a 16-bit disc, but supposedly only on an HDCD-chip-equipped player. They did make these players for a while, but maybe not anymore.

HDCD-encoded discs sound no different on a regular CD player. But some say Redbook CD’s don’t sound as good on these HDCD-chipped players. Ahdunno.

So, perhaps it just means that the Jay’s Transport can play HDCD’s as CD’s, but is unable to decode the HDCD’s extra four bits.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the HDCD coding (or whatever the process is called) is designed to be compatible for playback by standard CD players, though I wouldn’t swear to it. All I can say for sure is I have a small handful of them and they’ve never failed to play on any machine I put them in. Whether everyday players are able to take advantage of HDCD’s benefits while playing, I have no idea. I want to say the last player I personally saw that was specifically designed to play them was, I think, from NAD. That was quite a few years ago.

1 Like

I have been spinning CDs in my Jay’s Audio transport for hours, both last night and today. We don’t live far from each other so if you would like to hear the Jay’s and the PST I have both here.

I believe Jay’s comments on no HDCD support just refer to no internal HDCD processor inside. I’m not sure if I have ever had a deck that supported that. Maybe one of my Technics or Carver CD players did. I will investigate. I have a 25 year old Panasonic high end DVD player that weighs 200 pounds that is also very good transport. It may offer HDCD support. If you are interested in it you can come and take it away for free. It’s a beautiful piece of gear. Absolutely stunning and even the the Jay’s is built like a tank it’s got zero on the Panasonic.

4 Likes

That is so very generous. I have gone back and forth the past week on a Jay’s transport.

A) Pull the trigger, no big deal! It’ll change your life!

B) What are you thinking? You don’t need it in this system! Foolish insanity. You’re chasing some dumb-ass dragon that you’ll never catch. Just listen to the music.

Ahdunno.

3 Likes

Pick option A and join the rest of us who didn’t “need” it and bought it anyway.

3 Likes