Jay's Audio THE Flagship CDT3-MK3

I most definitely like the build quality, separation of the power supply and audio processing of Jay’s new transport, that’s a big price increase $4998.00. It will be a few months before I can try it out. Are any CDT2-MK3 owners going to buy it?
CDT3-MK3 | Jay’s Audio (jays-audio.com)
THE flagship CDT makes your stereo dream a reality (beatechnik.com)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I have the cdt2-make. I reached out to jays audio to see if there is an upgrade path.
But looking at the internals on the new transport, I think probably not.

1 Like

Dang spell check. Cdt2-mk3. Geez. Lol

1 Like

Other than the external casework the units seem to have nothing in common internally especially parts wise. Based on info I found on the website of the exclusive US distributor for the CD Pro2 drive unit the CD Pro2 was selling for $850 per unit in 2020 so likely much higher than that now. That is a vast increase over the price of the CD4/19 used in the CD2 Mk III. Not to mention the extra part count and solid damping plate in the new model. The new model is 15 pounds heavier than the CDT2 Mk 3 which was not light at 33 pounds itself. Not likely Jay is making much if any more on the new model than he does on the last one. At one point I was going to buy the Pro-ject CD Box RS2 T and an external LPS which would have taken the cost up to almost $4k with taxes so the CDT3 would not be a whole lot more. So maybe after it has been on the market a bit or sooner. Srajen at 6 Moons has one in hand for review along with their new DAC.

2 Likes

I really, really hope the SQ difference is nominal over the CDT2-MK3, because I thought I was done with buying transports.

1 Like

Not until you hear a Gryphon Ethos…

2 Likes

Damn you and your ethos! :grinning:

2 Likes

I was a huge fan of the Jay’s Audio CDT2-MKIII transport. I had it sitting next to an Ethos that I had uncrated an hour or so before. I put one of my top favorite CDs into the Jay’s and hit play. It sounded very good to me. Others in the room not so much. I listened to half a song and pulled the CD out and dropped it into the Ethos and hit play.

How is it even possible for it to sound THAT MUCH BETTER??!! It was such a huge difference to the better it made me sad for my trusted old friend, the Jay’s. Oh well. It is moving on to my little brother with a DSD Jr. I bought last week. He will love it like I did.

7 Likes

Trickle down audionomics. It’s the circle of life around our house.

6 Likes

I’ve benefited from that myself. My brother sold me his unused Aurender for an absurdly (but much appreciated) low price.

5 Likes

I sent Alvin’s partner, who is now handling the Jays distribution, an e-mail to see when or if they will be available to ship.

1 Like

My understanding is Phillips stopped making CD transports over four years ago. I wonder where they get the drives.
It’s a great looking piece though.

1 Like

Al

Enco, the exclusive North American distributor still has them for sale for $999 each so I assume that their are similar distribution sites in the EU and Asia. It is a good looker for sure. Will make a decision on whether to buy or wait when I here back from Alvin’s partner.

I read last night that the average shelf live on one of these drives with average daily usage is in excess of ten years. I had a top end Classe unit from 1988 with a CD Pro drive in it. Was still working like a champ when I got ride of it a few years ago. That unit like the Jays was a tank.

3 Likes

According to 6 Moons and in the process of reviewing it, Jay’s have, “…stockpiled a “serious” inventory…” of the drives.

2 Likes

They are surely not going to sell a “ton” of them as the market for transports in that price range and above is limited to start with and the largest part of that market goes to Esoteric and Luxman. With the projected lifespan of that drive he is probably well equipped to do any replacements or repairs. Don’t know if that drive unit is user plug and play like the CD4/19 in the CDT2 so he may not just sell spare drives to buyers. At 68 don’t think I will wear one out as I didn’t the older Classe and it was played daily for many years. There is an earlier review coming out in the next week to 10 days from one of the EU publications.

3 Likes

It’s on m short list, got the memo Saturday morning from Alvin. Took a deep breath when I saw the price. I believe the CDPRO-2 LF is a 2013 transport, so not necessarily a new transport design. The Philips transport appears to be solid.

1 Like

I’m going to go through with the purchase and have already told Alvin and Vincent so. For me it’s down to the timing of the delivery. It is intended to pair with the May KTE in Florida while the CDT2 will pair with the Spring 3 KTE in South Carolina. With the lead time to shipping and the increased FedEx delivery times if I ordered now it would have to go to South Carolina and then I would have to haul the 55+ pound unit back to Florida. Knowing me I wouldn’t be able to resist un-boxing it and carrying it up the stairs to the 2nd floor dedicated room in that house to try it then carry it down re-box and transport it again a month later. I’m pretty sure I will give in to the temptation before it’s over. As Srajen is going to review both the CDT3 and Jay’s new R2R DAC will be interesting to see what he thinks of them individually and as a pair. Also a review is coming on the 16th from High Fidelity magazine in Poland of the CDT3.

3 Likes

Look forward to hearing the details of your experience with it.

1 Like

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/jaysx2/

3 Likes

Srajen’ is still just in the preview stage and it might be a while before the complete review is completed. The first complete review will be in High Fidelity on the 16th.

2 Likes