dCS Network Bridge

I’m not an “experienced dCS Bridge aficionado” but …

Since 2015 I’ve played music from my library stored on a Synology NAS using MinimServer running on the NAS processor, controlled with the BubbleUPnP app running on an Android tablet. To render the music from ethernet packets to SPDIF for input to the DAC I first used the original Sonore Rendu hardware, replacing this with the Bridge II when I bought a DirectStream DAC in 2016. The latter setup has been excellent; no dropouts or extraneous noise with the network. It is fast, easy to navigate and plays music gaplessly; it certainly met all my needs.

Unfortunately as you are probably aware this setup now has an uncertain future as PS Audio are soon to release their own music streaming system, hardware and software. This is going to be ‘closed’ in that it will not support UPnP. The streamer, including the associated Bridge III renderer, will be bundled with their ‘Octave’ software. Given the track record of PS Audio I am sure that they will continue to support the Bridge II renderer however this prospect caused me to look for a potential replacement for the Bridge II renderer that is not part part of a ‘closed’ system. Looking for this, and improved sound quality to take advantage of more recent advances in technology, I alighted on the dCS Network Bridge. To cut a long story short I’ve just bought one after a 2 week evaluation. The hardware is brilliant; there is a marked improvement in sound quality relative to that from the Bridge II. Furthermore the dCS hardware / control app supports UPnP: dCS recommend and support MinimServer for UPnP music serving.

To be more specific on sound quality, I am hearing more detail and ambience with the music. Image depth is greater. Violins are sweeter, there is more ‘body’ to the sound. Bass is better defined and the music flows better. Transients are better defined. Trumpets ‘rasp’ convincingly. Inner detail is now audible in loud, complex orchestral works. There appears to be greater dynamic range in music, with the quietest passages noticeably more delicate. Overall the sound is yet more ‘natural’ and engrossing.
A benefit I was not expecting is that there is a slight improvement in sound quality from the other DAC inputs with the ethernet connection removed from the Bridge II.

The Mosaic control app supports gapless playback but has some browsing features that are currently not as good as those in the BubbleUPnP control app. Until these arrive I will continue to use the BubbleUPnP app. As the playback engine within the dCS hardware is not compatible with UPnP for gapless playback I will have to live with gaps in my music until then. Judging by the responsiveness of dCS on their community website I’m confident they will quickly enhance the Mosaic app to a feature state comparable with BubbleUPnP.