Did Pikes Peak OS install?

mark-d said Hello Elk. Yes,it is reversed.
I recall this happening with one of the previous firmware updates. But then it was universal. It is particularly odd that only a couple of you have the problem.

I was really hoping it was only your initial impression. The way the balance control works feels a little untoward initially.

Nuts.

Did someone say Inverted?

I’m totally serious, my display is inverted! LOL I think maybe one of the…um, other firmwares I had on there might not have mixed well with Pikes Peak. I figure I’ll just regress to an older firmware and move back up to PP and see if it clears up. Sound wise it’s fine. Very fine in fact.

Lonely Raven said Did someone say Inverted?

I’m totally serious, my display is inverted! LOL I think maybe one of the…um, other firmwares I had on there might not have mixed well with Pikes Peak. I figure I’ll just regress to an older firmware and move back up to PP and see if it clears up. Sound wise it’s fine. Very fine in fact.

I think you switched the SD card the pins must be up wen you insert it

Lonely Raven said I'm totally serious, my display is inverted! LOL
You can fix it by doing a screen calibration: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/need-help-ask-alex-the-psa-expert/dac-ii-screen-upside-down
wijnand said

I think you switched the SD card the pins must be up wen you insert it

This is caused by a bug in the beta bridge II code, that will be fixed in release 20. Just recalibrate the screen to fix the issue.

Dennis

This happens occasionally and we do not know why. Easy to fix though. Turn the power off in the rear of DS. Hold the front panel button down then turn power back on still holding the front panel button. The calibration screen comes up. Touch each of the numbers in numeric sequence (1,2,3,4) and it should fix the problem. If not, repeat.

I thought perhaps my SD cards were defective so at lunch I bought another. Same result though. The logo power button and touch screen blinks once and initializes but the “tools” screen is still showing Firmware version 1.2.1. Any suggestions out there?

matthewnz_1 said I thought perhaps my SD cards were defective so at lunch I bought another. Same result though. The logo power button and touch screen blinks once and initializes but the "tools" screen is still showing Firmware version 1.2.1. Any suggestions out there?
First of all, do you have the card unlocked? That will cause it not to load if it if locked. Do you see loader.cfg on the zip file?

Dennis

matthewnz_1 said I thought perhaps my SD cards were defective so at lunch I bought another. Same result though. The logo power button and touch screen blinks once and initializes but the "tools" screen is still showing Firmware version 1.2.1. Any suggestions out there?
Make sure the files are extracted from the zip file, not just copied compressed

Make sure the card is indeed in the player slot fully (i.e clicked in, so you have to push again to remove it).

For me, once I power back up from the rear power switch, the front standby light blinks several times (maybe 10) before the “initialize” screen appears. And then it takes about 10-20 seconds from there.

As i mentioned earlier the extracted files are on the SD card including the loader cfg. file. The new SD card as well as the other 3 are in the unlocked position. When inserted into the DS the card is engaged. When turning on the main power switch the logo and touch screen blink once as mentioned earlier. Perhaps tomorrow I will try to load an older OS into the DS to see if the issue may be with the DAC.

Slightly off topic but I went out today and hit several different stores. No one carries 2GB standard SD cards any more. The smallest I could find were 4GB and most with SDHC or some other enhanced format that won’t work in the DS. 2GB standard SD cards are an endangered species, apparently. I found some on Amazon and I’m stocking up while there are still some available.

Did you try a good camera shop? My experience is that is where you should be able to get one albeit at premium price as many cameras will only accept 2gb cards.

John

No, there aren’t any near my office. I hit Staples, CVS, and a Verizon phone store.

Amazon?

Any one of the half dozen or so local Wal Marts that more than likely surround your community will have PNY 2GB SD cards in a 2 pack.

Go shopping after midnight for an eye opening experience!cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon_gif

Amazon has 2gb standard SD cards made by Ascend (/). I ordered 2 just in case.

If the PSA people have the genius to come up with the DSD and the software upgrades, could they not find a more modern way to install the upgrades, e.g., through a larger capacity SD card or thumb drive for the USB input? Just asking.

Neal

Or maybe look to others, like Auralic (Aries) on how they do it.

This must be a problem with the DAC itself. I was hoping that perhaps something changed in the files when the PP was taken off the site and put back on but the new OS won’t load.

lawyerpoet said Amazon has 2gb standard SD cards made by Ascend (/). I ordered 2 just in case.

If the PSA people have the genius to come up with the DSD and the software upgrades, could they not find a more modern way to install the upgrades, e.g., through a larger capacity SD card or thumb drive for the USB input? Just asking.

Neal

Actually you can use the card that came with the DSD multiple times, just take the SD card and pop it into your computer. Make a new folder in the root directory of the SD card and rename it something, like ‘archive Feb 2015.’ Take all the files on the card except the ‘cover art’ file and drag them into the new folder. Then transfer the Pikes Peak files into the root directory of the SD card.

This way you can keep using the old card, and keep the old versions if for whatever reason you want to go back to them. And you don’t have to keep buying new cards!

I’ve been doing this for years on the PWD/DS

Best of luck.

–SSW

I must be the lucky one. I just buy whatever two for one 8GB happens to be on sale. I have yet to have a problem. In fact, the ones I’m using now are 16GB Micro SD (for my phones and tablets) in an SD adapter. I mean to start a thread about this a while back but never got around to it. I thought it might be helpful to take photos of the memory and packaging that works for others to find useful.