Did Pikes Peak OS install?

Streets Still Works said
lawyerpoet said Amazon has 2gb standard SD cards made by Ascend (/). I ordered 2 just in case.

If the PSA people have the genius to come up with the DSD and the software upgrades, could they not find a more modern way to install the upgrades, e.g., through a larger capacity SD card or thumb drive for the USB input? Just asking.

Neal

Actually you can use the card that came with the DSD multiple times, just take the SD card and pop it into your computer. Make a new folder in the root directory of the SD card and rename it something, like ‘archive Feb 2015.’ Take all the files on the card except the ‘cover art’ file and drag them into the new folder. Then transfer the Pikes Peak files into the root directory of the SD card.

This way you can keep using the old card, and keep the old versions if for whatever reason you want to go back to them. And you don’t have to keep buying new cards!

I’ve been doing this for years on the PWD/DS

Best of luck.

–SSW

I am doing something similar.

I have a backup folder on my PC and just wipes the original SD card without doing any reformatting and then move the inflated files over.

Actually, this backup process is not required because the previous releases are available on the PSA website.

The biggest problem I have seen so far in loading the new operating system is getting the files onto the card properly.

For some reason people seem to be pulling over the folder, not the files in the folder. If you go to the instruction sheet here you can see what the contents of the SD card should look like. There should be nothing on the SD card but these files, no folders at all. If the instruction PDF file is there it is ok and will be ignored.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-12-at-6.17.33-AM.png

And don’t copy the files in compressed format (i.e what they look like when you see them on the zip file but forget to hit “extract”). Do the extract command and point it to your blank SD card.

Problem solved! My thanks to Alex Paananen of PSA for sending me files that did load. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

I lose the left channel upon installing v123. After many download/reload tries, when I toggle the rear dac switch I get the left channel for a very brief burst then silence on that side. Reinstalling v121 it works properly. I’ve been on with Alex so they know…

matthewnz said Problem solved! My thanks to Alex Paananen of PSA for sending me files that did load. Is anyone else having a similar problem?
Yes, having exactly the same problem. Have tried 2 different SD cards, yes, know how to copy the unzipped files to the SD card.

The biggest problem I have seen is when folks unzip the files and place the entire unzipped folder onto the SD card. This won’t work. Make sure the files are sitting alone and without being in a folder for DirectStream can read them.

I’m jinxed.

I ordered the Pike’s Peak files on an SD card from PS Audio. Wait a week, then inquire. Oh, your order fell through the cracks, we’ll get it in the mail. Sigh.

The card arrives last night. I follow the instructions to the letter, and be sure to orient the contacts facing up. Cycle the machine off. Nothing. It initiates just as it normally does and didn’t load any software.

Did this more than thrice. Same results.

I give up. Smiley I’ll just hang with 1.21 for a while further, at least this time the DS wasn’t turned into a brick. Maybe next week when I actually have a day off I’ll try again.

Streets Still Works said

Actually you can use the card that came with the DSD multiple times,

I have two PSAudio cards. One works, the other one does not.
lonson said I'm jinxed. I ordered the Pike's Peak files on an SD card from PS Audio. Wait a week, then inquire. Oh, your order fell through the cracks, we'll get it in the mail. Sigh. The card arrives last night. I follow the instructions to the letter, and be sure to orient the contacts facing up. Cycle the machine off. Nothing. It initiates just as it normally does and didn't load any software. Did this more than thrice. Same results. I give up. Smiley I'll just hang with 1.21 for a while further, at least this time the DS wasn't turned into a brick. Maybe next week when I actually have a day off I'll try again.

Well I snuck home for a few minutes. I dropped the SD card received from PS Audio in my laptop and guess what?

It’s an unnamed card completely empty of files!

&^%$ ! ! ! !

It took me a few minutes but I started laughing hard.

I sent them a message asking for one that actually has files on it.

That is hilarious. And someone probably felt pretty good in getting it out to you so quickly.

Can I help by sending you the files to just copy to the card?

G

Oops. At least you know why it didn’t work.

gordon said That is hilarious. And someone probably felt pretty good in getting it out to you so quickly.

Can I help by sending you the files to just copy to the card?

G

No thanks Gordon. Last time I did that my DirectStream turned into a brick and had to go back to Boulder, which is why I held off attempting to upgrade so long and wanted the prepared card from PS Audio.

Your luck with DS firmware certainly has been dreadful.

I do not want to know what you did to annoy the digital gods.

Well, I would like to know. . . so I don’t do it again! :)

Got a FedEx notice that I’ll have another card on Monday.

Okay, got the card in and the jinx is lifted–installation went just as it was supposed to.

The new firmware is certainly different. My first impression is more treble and a more forward sound, neither of which is what I really want. But it’s not that simple in reality, I sense that and I need to listen more, but before I listen more critically I’m going to watch stuff from the DVR and off disc and get back to music later.

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, they worked. :)

Yippy!

Man, this firmware really IS different. I’m going to have to do some futzing about with tubes and footer placement etc. Some of that may be fun. . . . ;)

Be sure to post your FW thoughts in the main DS thread, lonson. Quite the discussion’s been going on there.

I know, I’ve read the whole thread as it was written and has grown. I will when I have a handle on it. Right now I think I may be in the camp that goes back to 1.21, we’ll see.