Dilemma: PWT or DMP?

How about ditching the computer, get an Aurender and a PWT.
The reason I would go with the PWT is that it just works, the DMP is in need of a major firmware update. It is being worked on, but until then, it can require rebooting.
I admire your dedication, but let’s think positive here, you aren’t going to die anytime soon, unless there is something you aren’t telling us.
If you have an audio dealer that sells Aurender, take the wife, see if she likes it, or get one for 30 days from Audio Advisor. Just be sure to load it with her favorite grieving music. If I want to stay depressed, Lou Reed’s “Berlin” is the perfect choice. When my Mom passed in 1983 I played Grover Washington’s version of “Aubrey” off of Soul Box about 30 times, and that was with vinyl. Boy digital would have come in handy that night.
If you PM me, I will give your wife my number. Of course, no idea how much longer I will be around. At 58, I felt like a kid, now at 63 not so much;-)

1 Like

Bingo! Give that man a prize.

Great, what do I get?

Rob–Before you get the impression that the DMP doesn’t work, mine is playing right now and has been reliable since I bought it about a year ago. I put a disk in, touch play and off it goes.

1 Like

Yes. The randomness of the experience is intriguing. It works for some, but not for others.

@jeffstarr

Thanks! I appreciate your input on the PWT working as opposed to the DMP needing work. I’ve heard that.

As for dying anytime soon… ya never know, do ya? That’s kinda the point here.

I appreciate the track pointers. We were thinking “Funeral for a Friend” and “Good-Bye my Friend”, but I’m sure we could go on and on. Hmmm… perhaps a good idea for a new setlist, morbid though it may be.

As for longevity, we’re peers. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input, @RonP. Nice balance to those who have not been so fortunate.

Nice bike, too.

1 Like

@Brodric … making it all the more difficult to balance the different points of view. Some work; some don’t.

Focus on the options that work, discard those that don’t. DMP should work soon for everybody. Paul has said he’s testing it now. But still, a working disc spinner doesn’t do anything better than what properly configured networked audio can do.

I like the idea of buying a competent, but relatively inexpensive DVD player with digital outputs. They are reliable, easy to use, and will sound very good even if shy of a PWT or DMP. This provides ease of playback and a good share of the quality you otherwise enjoy.

I see no reason to make the backup source expensive or difficult to use. The need is absolute legitimate, so meet the need.

The songs I mentioned were for your wife. I already have my Memorial songs picked out.
At the start Crash Test Dummies LP Ghosts That Haunt Me the song
“At My Funeral”
Midway through Grateful Dead “He’s Gone” and at the end the Dead’s
“Brokedown Palace”

Yikes! Now we’re making a set list for our funerals? Can’t do it. But I did make my son promise to have my gravestone carved with: “I told them I was sick”. Why shouldn’t people have a giggle if they stop by.

2 Likes

I have always appreciated Keat’s request. He did not want his name to appear on his tombstone, but merely the line:

“Here lies one whose name was writ in water .”

Coupled with no memorial, no obituary, no notice whatsoever, this is near perfect.

Even better if there is no tombstone, jut a few nondescript ashes dumped wherever.

But, being dead, the only control I will have is to direct that nothing be spent out of my estate.

2 Likes

I personally have owned and loved a PWT. It was in my system for 6 years and it provided many hours of musical enjoyment. My unit was very reliable easy to operate and fun to use. I took the plunge and got a DMP not believing that it could sound significantly better. When I set it up and played my first CD in it I was stunned. I could not think that it could play with this kind of authority. The bass was significantly more distinct. The soundstage is larger in all directions more precisely defined and the musicians more present in the portrayed image. You cannot help but tap your toe when listening. On the downside the DMP is very quirky in operation. The good news is PS Audio is working very hard to come up with a firmware that will make the DMP behave like my PWT used to. The DMP is the best sounding digital source I have ever owned when used with my Directstream DAC. The thing that amazes me is that my computer sourced music sounds so wonderful an yet the DMP outclasses it.

4 Likes

sixpack1 nailed it ! That’s exactly how I feel. No other digital transport I’ve owned (no small amount) comes remotely close to the DMP – in the all important musicality… My experience with PWT is an entirely different thing. I wont go into detail with that disaster again. I had issues with streaming, associated components, etc… My mates 13 year old grandson was recovering from cancer, the young lad has a deep interest in music so I gifted him all my streaming kit…I will never forget the big smile on his little face. As it stands I am in heavenly place playing music through the DS and DMP …! But looking forward to Ted’s new TSS…

Thanks @Dirk and @sixpack1

It’s good to hear such positive remarks about the DMP, quirkiness notwithstanding.

@Elk Isn’t it interesting how some conversations turn? I came here to ask about transports!

I’m starting to get a sense of where I’m going on that decision. I appreciate all the inputs, here.

Rob—no way you’d regret buying the DMP.

Yes, threads here morph into barely recognizable shadows of the original topic. I have learned to drift along.

Cue Ol’ Man River in the definitive version sung by the remarkable Renaissance man, Paul Robeson:

What is the matter with your computer’s disc player? If you don;t have one, you can get a DVD/CD USB connectable for what, $15?

Peace
Bruce in Philly