Dilemma: PWT or DMP?

I also own a DMP and believe the the sound is outstanding. I wonder if anyone has come up with this minor problem. Every one or two weeks, the DMP will spontaneously turn on with no pushing of any remote ! If I turn the remote back on the “off” position, the DMP remains off until the next one to two week period !

Yeah. Happened to me also. I tried to convince myself one of the kids sat on the remote by accident, and left it at that. My patience for deeper level fault finding ran out a long time ago.

Thanks, but that won’t really work. Yes, I could hook a disc up to the Mac Mini (I think) and access discs that way, but if my internet provider goes down, I’m still out-of-the-water in that the Mini is headless and relies on a WiFi connection to communicate with it.

Again, the transport would be for stand-alone, non-network use. When everything but the electricity goes out; or when we want to just spin a disc instead of streaming; or when my wife might need/want good music but doesn’t have the wherewithal to deal with computer/network issues.

Nice! (The Old Man River link)

I would keep it simple and cheap. A $35 DVD player will play CDs. Most come with a coaxial S/PDIF and/or optical outputs.

Good advice as the DMP is scheduled to go obsolete sometime next year.

I owned a PWT and traded it in for the DMP, which was a definite improvement in SQ on standard Redbook CD’s. The new replacement is being teased as offering another improvement in Redbook SQ, although it won’t play SACD’s.

Unless SACD"s are part of your collection, I’d take Elk’s advice and go with a low cost solution for now, wait till the new disc spinner comes out and then decide rather than take a huge haircut on a new DMP at this point.

1 Like

WiFi is provided by your router, even in case your internet provider fails :wink:

@Elk Turns out that how I’ll go for now. More below…

@hthaller

That’s exactly what I’ve decided to do for the time being…

I’ve pulled an older Sony CDP that I had around and will introduce that to the rack tonight. It surely won’t yield the best sound, but it’ll do for now, and for the limited purpose we have in mind.

I’m then going to go about setting up a NAS and introduce the Bridge II. That should help to solidify things a bit (i.e., make things more “robust”… hopefully).

Later down the line, I’ll replace the CDP with whatever new offering PS Audio comes up with. Agree with you that buying into the DMP might not be the wisest choice at this time. I am looking forward to hearing something like it someday.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@wijber

Good point; I’ve just never thought about it that way before. (And yet, I feel compelled to test it by pulling the inbound coax to see what happens.)

At that point, though, Tidal streaming would not be available. Roon probably wouldn’t freak out about it too much.

Actually it was my advice to go with the low cost player for a starter …:slightly_smiling_face:

It was indeed.

Rob, let us know how the inexpensive player sounds. It bet it will do quite well.

And when the time comes, there will some gently used, demo and obsolete inventory DMP’s available at a steep discount to a new unit, and the difference in SQ between one of of those and the latest and greatest may not be worth it to you. I contacted PS Audio’s service team directly about availability of replacement drives for the DMP, and they assured me that they intend to service the DMP for years to come . . .

@Elk @pmotz

It’ll do.

Certainly not the best thing I’ve ever heard (I tried optical; will try coax tomorrow). But, it fits the bill for the time being. Inexpensive, easy, reliable.

Speaking of reliability, one of the reasons this came up is that, since I’ve come back from a long vacation, things are odd with the rig. It seems that Roon and the DSD don’t always see eye to eye. We have a lot of thunderstorms here, forcing me to power down the rig. When I power back up, Roon often says “Select an audio zone.” That has never happened before; it always defaults to my PS Audio DSD point. Even then, if I go to play something off of Roon, no sound is output. I’ve done a lot of things, but it always seems to be fixed when I power down the DSD and reboot it. THEN, it’ll pick up on Roon.

Don’t know if this is a Roon thing, or a PS Audio thing, but it’s an example of how a system that has previously worked flawlessly can come up with problems, possibly as a result of updates on one side or the other. No matter how “robust” I try to make things, on occasion software and firmware will still step on one another.

[Edit] I will add that when I came back from about 1.5 months away, Roon updated their software, but I’ve been running Red Cloud since before I left… no change there.

Excellent. This seems like a perfect solution for the time being.

If there are any power hits the dmp and the direcstream dac will turn on. I have a feeling that is what is causing your occurence. Munits have never turned on by themselves for any other reason.