DirectStream DAC and Bridge problem

I think you might be close to the issue. @glmoneo wrote above that he’s setting the IP address manually. Might be best to try setting the Bridge to DHCP for starters and restart the DAC to make sure it picks up an address. George, is your router/switch set up as a DHCP server? Easiest way to confirm this is by observing if your other devices pick up an address?

If still no go after DAC restart, go into the network screen on the DAC to make sure it did pick up an address. If so, use the ‘ping’ command from a DOS window on a PC or try using a ‘ping’ app from one of your mobile devices.

Oh, should have asked you to check the little status lights on the ethernet receptacles at the Bridge and switch. If the lights are flickering then you at least have connectivity through your LAN but doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a TCP/IP connection.

One thing I forgot to mention: you should not use a static IP on the bridge if you not reserve such IP in your router DHCP. Or else, you are prone to an IP conflict, should your router assign that same IP to another device.

1 Like

@Elk Good morning,
I think this thread should merge with the other one:

Use free mConnect app,not that paid hd version,it won’t work.

Thanks, you’re right, you shouldn’t need the HD version. The free version here should work no problem. ‎mconnect control on the App Store

Okay, so yesterday nothing worked. I just decided not to pursue any further. I verified my fixed IP address was properly allocated on my router; I was able to ping the Bridge; I rebooted my switch; I prayed. Nothing worked. I came home tonight, fired up the iPad and the Bridge and now it works. I do not understand just what the hell is going on here…

1 Like

Glad it worked in the end. The key thing is that bridge II has a fixed IP address, so devices would look for the same address every time.

I don’t think a fixed IP address for the Bridge is mandatory. I ran a Bridge then a Bridge II using DHCP for a number of years without issue. Admittedly I was using UPnP. It may be different for a Roon-based set up.

2 Likes

Hi @MikeK,
It is always good to hear things work well for others. By all means, what was proposed is not a universal issue. DHCP works perfectly almost for all people. Occasionally, some systems like mine present challenges. I tried assigning static IP addresses to music servers, streamers, and players and it helped minimize drop offs and drop outs. The DHCP controller was left untouched save except for the DNS which was required for Nucleus+.