DirectStream DAC MKII Beta Tester Reviews

:ok_hand: we may get the free burn in service too​:joy:

2 Likes

I wonder if each of the outputs need to be fully broken in first before doing a fair comparison?

Probably cyber Monday shipping gridlocked is more likely.

1 Like

Everything needs breaking in this nutty world.

I am hosting a big party on Thanksgiving for relatives. The good news (to them) is that I do not need to show what my latest upgrade to the system is. In fact, they will appreciate the dinner more, I think.

2 Likes

I have ten guests coming and new speaker cables, amps and DS mk 1 tweaks. . My guests will not fare as well. I was hpoing for mk2 Beta to arrive. But I am sure the credit card statement will beat it given the bugs rampant in Beta launch. The we will ship it next week promise is long in tooth now.

1 Like

ENTIRELY ASIDE: Help me out here, guys - what’s the name of the guy that made those handmade HDMI’s with the unmarked purple boots that outperformed the Platinum WW’s? Is he still in biz?

I ask because I was trying the cable with a DMP into i2s #2 and this one ist gefukt.

Thanks🙏🏻

I think this guy, someone will double check me.

1 Like

This is his contact brad@revelationaudiolabs.com

Yup that’s the guy. Thanks for the…never mind😝

But seriously, thanks. Me plus about two other people, I have something adding up to my former memory.

I am getting the odd tick - happened once between tracks during a DSD album off HD from the laptop via USB, or a tick or short zipper sound when changing discs with different rates on the DMP.

I will say that in both cases they were not standard-issue discs. The former was a rip to HD of a DSD and the latter was going from an old homemade DSD disc of tracks ripped from vinyl to the real Dan Gaucho DSD disc.

I’m getting ticks more these days with foobar2000 than in some earlier releases. In general foobar2000 , JRiver, etc. are doing a better job of fading in and out when tracks start and stop, but foobar2000 doesn’t do that with DSD. I think JRiver does.

I’ve gotten a short zipper when changing inputs a time or two. I’m pretty sure I fixed the cause of that in the next FPGA code to be released. I don’t know of one with a simple rate change on one input tho.

4 Likes

Day 2 w/ DAC II, all via I2S from PST - initially better than DAC I, now becoming MUCH improved - sonics like others have mentioned. No issues encountered, no heat, etc. I have been waiting for SW/HW issues to resolve before trying USB from Auralic Aries G2.1 - scared to try that. I know I need to.

Another great product Paul, Ted and team! And i am a fan of the small screen.

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid. Forge ahead.

Yeah, you’re a beta tester! Go for it! :+1:

1 Like

I’ve heard @straightwire system and he uses the Audioquest Dragon I2S. I have not heard the MK II yet.

1 Like

I tried the USB, it wasn’t an issue. I went back to I²S while I am waiting for Sonore to provide an update to their OS. It needs an update to work with the USB implementation in the MKII so it can play DSD.

Wonder if it would play DSD though DLNA players

For me, it won’t make a difference. My challenge is the Rendu. If I were to try Audirvana my path would change from Roon streaming DSD to a laptop streaming DSD.

Here I would normally have:
Roon → Ethernet → Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition → etc…

Laptop (running Audirvana) → wireless → Ubiquiti UniFi AP → Ethernet → Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition → Fiber → Ubiquiti UniFi Managed Switch → Fiber → Sonore Signature Rendu SE → USB → Kitsune KTE SU-2 → I²S → DS MKII I²S Input 1.

1 Like

Yes and yes. PST and MKII have played nice together since day one. No shutdown. Connection is I2s, Audioqest Dragon.

4 Likes