DirectStream DAC MKII Beta Tester Reviews

for your consideration - my RAL HDMI cable was not yet even sent out after 21months, ordered and paid for it back in feb 2021 , exchanged several mails with Brad where he is promising to send it out, but no joy :frowning:

Wow, That’s really bad service. I have a Platinum WW HDMI that I did not even have to wait 21 days for it to be delivered.

I am using the the Dragon I2S. Listened for a short time with MK2 before sending it back due to sound going out. Highly recommend the cable. Sounds amazing with MK2.

4 Likes

I endured the same waiting game for my RAL HDMI. I never got it, so cancelled the order and went with something else.

Interestingly, I do have an RAL data-only USB available. It took so long to arrive that I found another solution, and it came in shortly after. Now the RAL sits unused.

1 Like

When?! When will I get my Dac Back?! :grin:

2 Likes

You gotta take one for the team! Your Beta card may not be punched again.

I’ve been using USB to my G.1 with no issues. An amazing streaming upgrade.

We will send out an email announcing when the first updates are available. Unfortunately, this first update will have to be via USB memory stick. After that we should be good with over the air. Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

AQ Firebird and AQ Dragon Serve my streamer and PST, I would not hesitate to recommend AQ new 48 HDMI to anyone because they made a drastic improvement.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates! Will the two units in the lab be returned to the owners with updates installed? Hopefully by Thanksgiving :grin:

1 Like

Great news! Thanks to the team for all their hard work. :+1:

I had heard some of these shipping issues with RAL, but took a chance and ordered the RAL HDMI anyhow, and everything was great: good communication with Brad & no issues. I don’t know if he had changed his production model at some point or what (or he happened to have exactly what I was ordering in stock). But it was quick. I had the new cable within a 1-2 weeks (this was about 12-18 months ago I think).

Overall, we do just want folks to use it. There are enough different variables in people’s systems that the testing is pretty organic. Different sources outputting different sample and bit depth, high sensitivity speakers that we don’t have access to. You name it.

My favorite experience was a few years back with a beta test of one of our Stellar components. I went to the director of engineering at the time with an issue one of the testers was having. He looked at me with a very puzzled face and said “hmm, I didn’t think anyone would try that.”

There are aspects like the OTA updates that we know we need to work on, but for the most part, we just want folks to use it.

8 Likes

Hi James, hope your having a great weekend. Any updates on the 2 MK2’s in the ER?

1 Like

I feel for you having to go without your MKII. The sound quality difference between the DSJ and MKII is anything but subtle.

3 Likes

While waiting on the updates to see if known bugs are gone I’m continuing to let the MK2 play almost non-stop for break-in.

I have also used this time to check out more of the input options. Specifically the Coax and AES/EBU 1 & 2 inputs from the PST. When I got ready to hook them up, the MK2 was playing on the USB input via ROON. I stopped the ROON stream, put the MK2 into standby, turned the MK2 off from the back panel (the PST was in standby) , then connected the Coax and both AES/EBU inputs to the PST. Next I powered up the MK2 from the back panel and after it initialized, made sure the MK2 was still on the USB input and that ROON was still seeing it. I pressed Play in ROON and, no sound. The MK2 showed it was on the USB input and receiving data but the no sound bug reared it’s head.

I shut down the MK2 from the back panel again and left it off for 20-30 minutes. After powering back up, all the connected inputs worked properly.

What is the point of having AES/EBU 1 & 2 inputs on the MK2? The PST says two AES/EBU outputs are provided to provide double rate DSD to DACs that can handle it but the two AES/EBU inputs on the MK2 appear to be independent of each other since you can select 1 or 2 but not both.

Still have the optical connection to check out. Will have to use an OPPO 105 for this as the PST doesn’t have an optical out.

You can select one or both in setup menu. you can also use them as two separate inputs if you choose.

Dual AES is disabled at the moment. The PST has dual AES outputs for higher rates over AES with DACs that handle it. The Mk II has dual AES for higher rates from transports that support it. With the PST and the Mk II combo, dual AES will let you use the I2S inputs for other devices but still support double rate DSD.

I believe that pressing the AES1 button twice will select dual AES if it’s enabled, but I might be mistaken and if dual AES is selected the AES 1 input will be dual AES. In any case pressing AES2 will go back to single AES over AES input 2.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to get my hands on my beta unit. I’ve been reading so many interesting posts. James, any idea when the rest of the beta units will ship?

1 Like

Welcome to the party (forum), Pal!

1 Like

Right?! Not even close.