DirectStream Fuses and Use WIth PowerBase

1. Has anyone used a PowerBase with a DirectStream DAC and heard a performance improvement?

2. What are the sizes, current rating, and timing rating of the fuses used in the DS DAC?

I found the answer to question 2.

I would say Yes, though with this qualification: I used the PWD Mk II with the PowerBase since the PowerBases came out and then had the Mk II upgraded to a DirectStream. So I really haven’t used the DirectStream WITHOUT a PowerBase. But the PowerBase has improved the sound of my PWD Mk II, my power amp, my preamp and phono amp, my PPP and then my P5, my turntable, my DVR, my Blu-ray player. . . I KNOW that it is improving the sound of my DirectStream.

For instructions on removing the top cover it’s best to go to the DirectStream Kit page and in the Features and Video tab, below the picture of the kit, watch the video to see the easiest way to open the top cover.

I use the PowerBase on DirectStream and love it. Although, I do not use its power filter, I use it only as an isolation base, preferring instead to use the output of the P10 directly into DirectStream.

Thanks for mentioning that Paul. I had tried it that way when I first received the PowerBases and with the PowerBase plugged into my then Power Plant Premier I preferred the PWD Mark 2 plugged into the PowerBase. . . by a hair or two. But the DirectStream is a different animal, and I now have a P5 in place of the Premier, and that’s a different animal (indeed!) so I’m going to try powering the DirectStream directly from the P5.

Also at that time I had the PWT and the PWD Mark 2 both on one PowerBase, now they each reside on their own power base. So that’s a difference worth hearing in combination with the DirectStream directly into the P5.

Well, I tried it. I really should have left the situation go on for a day or two, and I may do so in the future, but after about five hours of warm up, and three or so of listening, I just missed the more precise, refined sound I get when I power the DirectStream from the PowerBase, and the PowerBase powered by the P5, both connected with Perfectwave AC-12 cables. The other way had some very attractive elements, but ultimately I restored it to the way I had it before.

DarqeKnight, same sequence of events as Lonson. My DAC has been sitting on a PowerBase for some time and I have not heard the DS without it. I would be willing to bet that it helps, just like it did with the PWD. The thing is probably good enough to make Paul’s favorite Bose Wave radio sound better…devil_gif. Seriously, though, the darn things just work.

I heard an improvement in bass clarity and detail the moment I sat the DS on the PowerBase. I hear immediate changes in the bass if I repeatedly pick up and set down the DS on the PowerBase.

My DS is connected to a P10 power plant through a Premier SC cord. An AC-12 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I did not hear a difference when running one Premier SC from the P10 to the PowerBase and another Premier SC from the PowerBase to the DS, so I am running the DS straight from the P10.

Paul McGowan said For instructions on removing the top cover it's best to go to the DirectStream Kit page and in the Features and Video tab, below the picture of the kit, watch the video to see the easiest way to open the top cover.

I use the PowerBase on DirectStream and love it. Although, I do not use its power filter, I use it only as an isolation base, preferring instead to use the output of the P10 directly into DirectStream.

Would you recommend an additional PowerBase (and using its power filter) on the P10?

I have the Directstream and P3 now - is it worth getting 2 PowerBases in this instance and using the power filter only for the P3?

I would think so, yes. However, when a Power Plant is used I prefer not to use the built in filter of the PowerBase.

I think what Paul means is that it is recommended to use the PowerBase line filter between the wall and attached equipment and in most cases to not use the PowerBase power filter between a PowerPlant and the equipment powered by it. At least that has been their recommendation in the past.

J.P.

Paul McGowan said I would think so, yes. However, when a Power Plant is used I prefer not to use the built in filter of the PowerBase.
Paul, why is that ?

wingsounds13 said I think what Paul means is that it is recommended to use the PowerBase line filter between the wall and attached equipment and in most cases to not use the PowerBase power filter between a PowerPlant and the equipment powered by it. At least that has been their recommendation in the past.

J.P.

This is news to me. I have always plugged each component into the PowerBase, and the PowerBase is plugged into the PowerPlant. The PowerBase beneath the PowerPlant is plugged into the wall, and the PowerPlant is plugged into the PowerBase.

Right, and this is what PS Audio has recommended.

Paul is saying he prefers the DirectStream powered directly from the P10. I experimented after reading that and plugged my DirectStream directly into the P5 I have. There is a difference in sound, when directly to the P5 the DirectStream has a bigger, slightly edgier (not in a bad treble way) sound. . . I think if someone felt DSD was “soft” in the DirectStream this way it’s possibly less so. I have grown so used to the sound when the DirectStream is plugged into the PowerBase which is a bit more polite, a bit more natural in a refined way to my ears, and I went back to that, works better for me with acoustic instruments which I listen to most.

lonson has the right approach. Try it both ways and go with the one that sounds better to you. There really is no right or wrong with these things.

Thanks Lonson, good info.

You’re welcome. I love the PowerBases and what they do. All my components sit on one and are plugged into one. A very expensive way to go, but the cumulative results were clearly. . . addicting. :)

stevem2 said lonson has the right approach. Try it both ways and go with the one that sounds better to you. There really is no right or wrong with these things.
Exactly! We all have individual preferences as well as different systems. Experimentation is the rule.

I have also found there are times I cannot hear a difference between options - even though others claim the difference is earth shattering. I have learned when this happens to not worry about it. If I cannot hear a difference, there is no difference. At least for me, on my system.

Yes, try it both ways. At first I always used it with the power filter but over time I found that Power Plants seem to prefer as little in their inputr as possible. They don’t really benefit from extra filtering and certainly the extra power cord doesn’t help, not when one of the big advantages of a Power Plant is its low impedance.

For other items not a Power Plant I always use the built in filter.

Ok, but if I recall correctly, the PB also reduce regeneration noise propagating back from the PP onto the powerline - is this ‘fact’ a part of your overall consideration?

I think the worst culprits are switching power supplies [+warts] as well as digital appliances. I always had best results with “one way” filters on my digital gear and running everything else off the Power plant directly. A good power cord helps too.