Using Power Base's outlet, or not

My system is powered from a P5. I recently picked up a Power Base, with the intention of putting it under the P5. Before doing so, I decided to try it under some other components (once in place in the bottom of my rack, it will probably never come out).

Right now the PB is under my preamp, serving only to provide vibration control. (Noticeable improvement, BTW.) I don’t think there would be any advantage in plugging the preamp into the PB, fed from the P5, as opposed to connecting the pre to the P5 directly. The power coming into the pre is already clean, and another cord between the PB and the pre would add its own sonic signature (probably not for the better).

The exception might be a component that is some distance from the P5, in which case the long power cord could pick up noise that would be filtered out by the PB.

Does this sound about right?

Yes and to be honest I have stopped using the PBs internal filter for my stuff as well. It’s really great as an isolation base, but I find when things are powered through a regenerator, the extra filter doesn’t help and in some cases hurts.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, if one isn’t plugging anything into the PowerBase, is there any need to plug in the PowerBase?

Interesting thought. Is the PowerBase chassis grounded to the plug? If so, then plugging the PowerBase in might provide some degree of shielding from nearby components even if its resident component is not powered through it. I hadn’t thought of this before, but simply left the PowerBase plugged in whether or not the PerfectWave DAC on it was powered through the base or directly from the Quintet that feeds this system.

J.P.

Murrayb said At the risk of asking a dumb question, if one isn't plugging anything into the PowerBase, is there any need to plug in the PowerBase?
It's not a dumb question at all. The answer is no. There's no value in it other than the grounding issue Wingsounds suggests - which I do not find important.

Increasingly I have been using PowerBases for vibration only.

Thanks, Paul. I was moving things around on my rack in preparation for my new BHK preamp (picking it up tomorrow - whoo hoo) and thought I’d try plugging the components directly into my P5. Figured I may as well ask the question.

Wow, exciting. DO let us know what you think when you have the chance.music-078_gif

I’ve played around with my system a lot lately in part due to the insertion of a new component and the change of speaker cables. I have now been using the balanced output of my DirectStream into the single-ended inputs of my amplifier by using the Decware ZBIT. And I moved from Mapleshade Double Helix Plus speaker cables to PS Audio xStream Statement speaker cables. (Anyone want to sell me xStream Transcendent in 3 m length really cheap? :))

When Paul stated several times that he is running the DirectStream from the P10 and not a PowerBase, I started playing around with this. I went from powering all my PowerBases from the P10 and then all components from a PowerBase to all components directly powered by the P10 and just sitting on the PowerBase for isolation purposes, to. . . my “final solution.” I have the P10 powered from a PowerBase as well as my three analog components, all others are powered directly from the P10. This has given me the most dynamic and transparent sound. (That’s not always the best thing but . . . that’s another story. . . it’s the best all around set up for my system and listening).

This has me really really listening deeply and with great enjoyment. Bring on the DirectStream Memory Player. :wink:

lonson said I have the P10 powered from a PowerBase as well as my three analog components, all others are powered directly from the P10. This has given me the most dynamic and transparent sound.
This is fascinating. Analog and digital components do certainly behave differently sometimes. Did you invest in short, high-quality cords to go from the PBs to the analog components? (I assume you have your VooDoo ic's from P10 to the PB.) Needing to get more, short cords was one thing that (temporarily, at least) stopped from using the PB to power equipment.

All power cords are/were PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 from wall to and from P10, PowerBases and components. Lengths are .5 m, 1 m and 2 m. Not a cheap way to go but brings excellent results.

Paul McGowan said
Murrayb said At the risk of asking a dumb question, if one isn't plugging anything into the PowerBase, is there any need to plug in the PowerBase?

It’s not a dumb question at all. The answer is no. There’s no value in it other than the grounding issue Wingsounds suggests - which I do not find important.

Increasingly I have been using PowerBases for vibration only.

So you no longer recommended plugging a P5 into the powerbase?

Will there be a replacement isolation only product?

It is very strange kind of PowerBase using only for vibrations control. Quite expensive solution!

I am using PB under P10 and P10 is powered from PB. Excellent result came some days later, burning in process.

Only one problem point is power cord between PB and P10. Included cheap C14 to c13 IEC cord is not good at all.

I made better shielded cable, but connector C14 for plug in to PB is available in cheap plastic finish. What kind of cable do you use

to connect PB and P10(P5)? Is there any C14 high end connetor to buy?

Thanks for advice.

+1 for a future, less expensive vibration reduction/elimination-only platform/base (without the power aspect…)