DirectStream Junior Huron is released!

Scolley - just the files, no folder.

I reformatted the stick, put the files on it, did everything the way I’m supposed to. Light didn’t blink, Torreys loaded (not sure which version).

Reformatted the stick again, etc. Trashed, emptied and recopied the files. Attempted booting about 5 times.

Trashed the files & emptied trash (Mac), put Yale on it, it loaded without issue.

Trashed the files and " " " put Huron (the exact same files, not a fresh DL) on it, and it loaded without issue.

The only reason I knew to do this was Ted’s post the other day (p. 12 post 336 of the Huron DSSr. Thread).

Sounds great, BTW.

Got it. Thanks. Going down the revert to Yale and upgrade from there path now. Thanks.

Here’s how my upgrade went.

1. Formatted USB thumb drive, then copy/pasted DSJ Huron files (4) onto drive. Ejected drive.
  2. With DSJ ac off from rear toggle switch, plugged in USB thumb drive, then switched toggle to on.
  3. Blue power button on front of DSJ blinked for about one minute, then DSJ went through initiation process. Version said Huron.
  4. SOMETHING WENT WRONG AT THIS POINT. I turned off ac from toggle switch (apparently didn't need to do this), unplugged the USB drive, then switched toggle switch to on.
  5. When the DSJ finished initializing, I checked its version and it was back to Torreys.
  6. I went through step 2 but couldn't get DSJ to "recognize" the Huron update files in the USB drive.
  7. Remembered reading something about "downgrading" to Yale first...
  8. After downgrading successfully to Yale, I did steps 1 and 2 again. This time I unplugged the USB drive with the DSJ powered on.
  9. I now have Huron and it's sounding great. I wonder if turning ac off from DSJ will make it revert to Torreys (or Yale)?
  10. Thank you Paul, Ted, and the rest of the team.
Elk said
Deanhorn said I cannot get Huron to load either and I don't have files with Yale since my DSJr was pre-loaded with Yale.

I have attached DS Jr Yale in case you would like to try loading it.

I was able to load Yale and Huron is loading now. Thanks Elk!

Unfortunately, I have to leave for a tennis match now. Bad timing on my part!

So I will have to listen later.

Ted - Looking back in my downloaded files from last August, I have a TorreysB folder, which I believe predates another called DSjrforce, so I’m guessing I had the Force on there:

DSJR0094.hex

FPG11318.hex

LOADER.CFG

USBL0021.hex

Which sorta suggests I had to force it last time. Specific to my hardware, maybe?

I suspect that a beta Torreys left a landmine for some Huron upgraders, but I don’t know what it would be. If so, we may be fortunately in that the people who will affected read these pages and will see the Yale then Huron path advice.

OK. Huron is loaded and working now. Got long blinking lights on the load from USB, the whole enchilada.laugh

This is on the back of several ways of trying to upgrade my DSJ Torreys 2.9.14; multiple USB drives, multiple file formats (all unzipped), always ejecting the USB drive after writing, and trying both all four Huron files at the USB root, and once in a folder named DSJ_Huron. None worked.

But per Badbeef, reverting to Yale, then upgrading to Huron worked first try. This is with the same USB that would not work before, no reformatting, nada. Merely removing the Huron files, adding the Yale (all in USB root), downgrading to Yale, replacing Yale files with Huron, and then upgrading to Huron. Easy peasy.

Clearly the thing that made the difference was downgrading to Yale first. Thanks Badbeef.

There are infinitesimally small dudes on neon motorcycles battling it out on the infinite grid of the FPGA.nerd_gif

Ahh… forgot to mention that I am a happy camper now! And now comes the real meat of the matter… listening!

Way too much fun for just one day. wink

Yikes. This should be easy and you shouldn’t have to go to Yale before. We’re looking into the situation though it may requires Dennis help tomorrow.

One thing to note is that DSJ seems to take longer to power down than DS. Give it at least 30 seconds before you repower with the new firmware. Let us know.

Paul - I’m a bit confused - I had been following the DSSr. Huron thread, and this cropped up there, which is why I knew of the fix, from Ted’s post.

Paul McGowan said

One thing to note is that DSJ seems to take longer to power down than DS. Give it at least 30 seconds before you repower with the new firmware. Let us know.

I went through a number of iterations. In one - due to having my hands on the back of the DSJ, an infrequent occurrence - I noted how warm it was. So I turned it off and gave it a while to cool off, just in case it might make a difference. A good 15-20 minutes.

Made no difference for me. But I’m just one data point.

Mine just didn’t do anything. Followed instructions exactly (with files only, no folder), inserted the USB, and the DSJr powers on with Torreys as usual. No update. What am I doing wrong?

PS No blinking.

Michael - read the prior page.

Listening notes: There’s more THERE there!

Read the whole thread prior to beginning. Are you saying that I need to downgrade to Yale first? Thanks.

Some have had difficulty getting Huron to load and have found going back and loading Yale, then Huron, worked.

badbeef said

Paul - I’m a bit confused - I had been following the DSSr. Huron thread, and this cropped up there, which is why I knew of the fix, from Ted’s post.

It only came up there because a person had a particularly bad corruption. The fact that so many people are having problems on the Jr says that there’s something amiss in the Jr’s upgrade process… I’m not an expert in the details of the upgrade prcess, but the Huron upgrade files look fine to me and I’ve done a lot of Torreys to Huron updates so I have to wonder about Torreys beta releases leaving a landmine for the upgrade process.

Elk said

Some have had difficulty getting Huron to load and have found going back and loading Yale, then Huron, worked.

Got it. Went through the process and Huron is up and running. Will return and report.

Did anyone face problems, the DSJ is no longer reading signals from the USB source after the Huron upgrade. I shall try to downgrade and upgrade again.

Random ideas/questions: Did you double check that the input select is USB or Auto? Is the star in the upper right of the display on? Did you do a power cycle after the boot? There are some versions of Windows that I’ve had to reboot the PC to get USB to reconnect if something was playing when I upgraded the DAC.