Directstream Junior volume drops

I have the DSJr fed by an Oppo BDP-105D through the coaxial input with a disc on repeat to burn the unit in. I am using a preamp (Bryston SP3) so have the volume set at 100. After a while, from a few seconds to a few minutes, the volume will drop directly to 60 with no input from the user, either volume knob on unit or remote. It hasn’t stayed at 100 for more than a few minutes since setting it up. I’ve turned it back to 100 with both the knob and the remote several times, and it’s not long before it drops to 60 again.

I have turned it off, cut power from the switch in back, and powered it back on after well over 20 seconds.

Please advise.

Thanks, Chris V.

A few more details, after reading posts from others about volume drops to 60. In my case, it doesn’t include a reboot, just an immediate drop directly to 60 from 100. I tried 99 and the same thing happens. It is playing the whole time. Also as regards power line sensitivity, my DSJr is plugged into a P500 Power Plant, and I haven’t had issues related to that with any other equipment.

Input was set to Auto, and I thought that perhaps because I had both optical and coax connected it may have been a factor. I’ve since “hard switched” the inputs to either optical or coax and the issue persists. Ted had also mentioned activity from the Bridge being a potential trigger. I do have Ethernet hooked up, and active as evidenced by the flashing LED next to the input. I haven’t set up anything to actually connect with the Bridge, and the front panel indicates that no Bridge update is available. I take that to mean that I’m on the current version.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Chris V

I was hoping Dennis would step in, but the problem is the bridge software (nothing else is going to go to exactly 60 over and over). It will be fixed in the next release (which is being worked on now.) I suspect that disconnecting the Ethernet connection will help, but I don’t know for sure.

The problem is when the bridge resets, it forces the volume to 60 no matter what input you are using. This will be fixed in the next version of DSjr code.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. What’s the timetable on that, and will it/won’t it include the MQA unfolding bit?

I can disconnect Ethernet from the DSJr for now, and stream Tidal through the Oppo until it’s ready. But I want it to be ready, like, real soon! smiley-music005_gif

Chris V

One more thing. Is there anything I can do that will prevent the bridge from resetting, short of disconnecting from my network?

christophervalle said

One more thing. Is there anything I can do that will prevent the bridge from resetting, short of disconnecting from my network?

I’m not sure. Some bridges reset more than others, and some don’t at all. I’m not sure what the root cause of the bridge resetting is, it could be network related or it could be something else.

Dennis

Thanks a lot guys!

Good to know this too will be taken care of in the upcoming release from “holy cow he’s done it again!” Ted S bag of tricks. It did happen to me (the dropping to 60) at least a dozen times.

Dennis Kerrisk said

I’m not sure. Some bridges reset more than others, and some don’t at all. I’m not sure what the root cause of the bridge resetting is, it could be network related or it could be something else.

Dennis

I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the DSJr, and it does now retain the volume rather than dropping to 60, which is good. I’m anxious for the updated bridge firmware with the fix, because this is a new unit (received and setup on Tuesday), and I want to make sure that the bridge functionality works properly in my environment within the 30 day audition period.

Any word on update timing?

It is going to be several weeks at least. I don’t know for sure.

Dennis

Dennis, is it possible to get in on the Bridge II firmware beta test? Since my Bridge II is presently doing nothing, I won’t miss anything if there’s an issue with the beta version.

Thanks! Chris V

My DSJ is now possessed by the vol = 60 bug. My unit has never done this before, today it’s happening every minute…

Dennis Kerrisk said

…I’m not sure what the root cause of the bridge resetting is, it could be network related or it could be something else.

In my installation the bridge started resetting about once per minute when I disconnected the DMP from the network, even though I never use bridge as a source (I use I2S input on DSJ). When the DMP is back on the network the bridge is happy.

I too experienced the 60 switch. It was happening when the bridge was unable to negotiate a route properly. It happened last October, so my memory is a little fuzzy. From recollection, even when I was setting the IP, DNS and gateway statically it wouldn’t connect. Sometimes the static settings would purge automatically from the DSJ. I was able to see the traffic on my network and the DSJ static IP wasn’t appearing, nor was the IP pingable. Within 5 minutes of setting the static settings, it would switch to 60.

I use an Apple AirPort Extreme as my router, which is notorious for not routing things like the rest of the world. It then dawned on me that it likely has to do with the DSJ not being able to commit its static settings for routing. I grabbed an Airport Express, plugged the DSJ directly into it and it negotiated the route to the AirPort Express, via WiFi and stopped doing the 60 switch. It was at that time I was also able to connect the DSJ to Roon with the network bridge.

This is a known issue, and will be fixed in the Huron release

Dennis

First of all, once again thanks PSA (Paul, Ted, Arnie N, Dennis and whoever else worked on this project) for yet another fine SO update. This is something we as customers value very highly indeed.

Now onto the weird thing. Forced update worked and I’ve been listening under Huron for a couple of days. Call me a heretic but I do not quite notice a major, major difference although it does feel as though the mid-high and higher frequences were a bit clearer, more natural than before. I like it and will not be coming back to any of the previous versions be it Yale or Torreys -it’s just a case of getting used to Huron I suppose.

Second weird thing. As far as I know Bridge II update (for DSJ) is not out yet; historically with the bridge we were supposed to have a limitation at DSD64 but today I streamed a number of DSD128 tracks (via the Bridge, obviously) and all of them were played back flawlessly!?

Hi Dennis,

Did you guys get this fixed? (Huron)

Looks that way. Have been using the Junior for a few days now (ouch I realise this might sound weird to some! Ha) and have not experienced the drop to 60 once. Brilliant stuff.

EfeTe said Call me a heretic but I do not quite notice a major, major difference . . .
OK, you are a heretic. ;)

Do you find upgrading to Huron to be a bigger or smaller difference than upgrading to Torreys?

Elk,

I take it back! :O) It’s opened up now, I’m in awe, my daughter had to come downstairs to look for me to have lunch as I had spent 3 1/2 hours listening and lost track of time.

Very impressive stuff. Now the next intriguing thing is, how is this thing going to do when we throw MQA out at it (Bridge update coming soon)? Not having any particular expectations but knowing PSA we could be in for a nice-sounding surprise.

It is partially fixed in Huron, I get the occasional reset to 60 but not as regular as previously…

1 Like