Directstream Mk 2 observations

The list is a little way up.

This is the FPGA release that has the initial ticks and pops fixes. It also fixes a problem where a few units would exhibit a little fuzz until they warmed up, or perhaps when they reached a certain temperature.

3 Likes

Followed enclosed text file instructions. 198-Antero running fine. Thanks again!

Thank you Ted. I will keep my ears aware while change file formats.

After installing FPGA 198 and FW 2.3.6, the SQ has changed in my system. The sound has better resolution and rhythm. The instrumental separation is better. The treble and mid are clearer and the bass is tighter. As a result, the SQ is not as warm sounding as 179 but more neutral. It also sounded louder too. I like it so far. it may evolve more tomorrow.

Edit: I made a fuse change (from M-1 to the stock fuse with no break-in, and made some adjustments on tweaks. This was the first time I did some critical listening. So, they could contribute to the SQ change too.

How does it sound in your system?

1 Like

I feel like there is increased detail too, although Iā€™m not sure itā€™s real lol.

Could be me wanting it to sound better

This is very true. I had an old set of crap floorstanders for a rarely used basement home theater that I decided were taking up space. I was just about putting in an order for the DSJ at my dealer and floated the idea of putting them out as trades. We were pretty sure they wouldnā€™t take anything so lo-fi since they were not even worth their weight in shipping.

I didnā€™t know about PS Audioā€™s business model at the time, so I was pretty shocked when I found out they would. I used to run a tight ship back then, so I didnā€™t have many things of value I was willing to part with. It helped me knock off an extra 250 bucks. I was just glad I didnā€™t have to drive to the dumpsite.

1 Like

Although we did not quite get to 201 on the FPGA count, that was the forecast for an Easter Rabbit delivery on 10th April. Number 198 is just right for St. Patrickā€™s Day! Thanks Ted!

Loud pops occurring when switching between tracks with different DSD resolutions (using Roon) are now gone for me with 198. Thanks @tedsmith

8 Likes

Any change in sound quality?

Nothing obvious to my ears. Odd thing today as I was listening to Roon, the DAC stopped to output the music. Had to power cycle it for it to resume playing. Hopping it was just a fluke and not a buggy firmware.

FWIW, new firmware loaded super easy. Put in the usb drive, went through the menu and selected the new version, then a reboot. Iā€™m 99% flac so zero problems before and now.

I do look forward to updating via Wi-Fi. I have to pull out my rack (itā€™s on wheels) to get to the back of the mkii. Not a huge thing but I am careful not to roll over cables so itā€™s a thing.

1 Like

You could get a USB extender and leave it plugged in until WiFi or Ethernet are available.

Amazon 2ā€™ extension:

2 Likes

Fine idea. Sometimes I get locked in on a single way of thinking. A short 1m (or even .5m) would do it. Think Iā€™ll order it now.

1 Like

@tedsmith, will the MkII burn in if the outputs are not connected?

Having music playing (as opposed to sitting in standby) will burnin the system. The transformers already have a higher load than your preamp (or amp) is likely to draw.

4 Likes

I do this all the time. It definitely works.

Thanks Ted and Vince. I did the MkI hooked up back in the day, so I wasnā€™t sure about the MkII. Anyway, the USB stick is plugged into the PST, set to repeat and playing music. Let the burn in begin! :hourglass_flowing_sand:

2 Likes

Oh, @tedsmith, if my MkI is set to volume 92, where should the MkII be for the same volume with 1.98 Antero?

Six ticks down. 86. (Tho we need to trim it more precisely) If you had it at 92 rather than, say, 100 just for the better sound, you donā€™t need to do that now. All levels use the same SDM parameters now.

4 Likes

Thanks Ted. Just want to be close to the MkI for listening purposes. :slightly_smiling_face: