Do you still read?

Thanks! You’re much too kind. I appreciate it.

1 Like

No kidding. One of my favorite readers is Gary Senise who read Steinbeck’s Travels With Charlie, one of my favorite books.

First, congratulations on your achievement in writing your upcoming book! I imagine it must be exciting for you and your family.

I may an “old” 37 years old, but I for one love hard-copy books. During my graduate and undergraduate days I read many eBooks out of necessity, cost, and convenience, but when it comes to reading for enjoyment (fiction, non-fiction, etc.), I always prefer hard-copy books. That being said, I know a lot of people who read books nowadays electronically as well as listen to audio books. I think it’s wise to have your book offered in a variety of formats as my guess is you’ll probably see it “read” quite evenly in each of these formats.

I sure hope reading books isn’t a thing of the past!!! I’ve been on your list for weeks, and I very much look forward to reading your book - hard-copy :+1:

Doug

I read and enjoy print books. I start more books than I finish. As a former professor, reading used to be my job. Now I want reading to be for interest or pleasure. Many books are not able to sustain this reader through the end. I’ve never owned an e-reader.

I still read, and i read books, not Kindle etc. I’ve been re-reading some favorites lately from Cordwainer Smith and Raymond Chandler.

It’s certainly heartening to know people still read.

Thanks, Doug! Appreciate it.

More than with music I need the physical book when I read. I know it’s very practical with e-readers for those who read a lot and go on holiday, but I definitely use books even if it means to carry 2 pounds. Good books to me are as rare as good theater performances, while I could go to concerts every evening.

Seems I’m rather a music nut.

I read my DSJ and DMP manual everynight before I go to bed.

1 Like

I rarely start a book I am not delighted to continue reading toward the end. Additionally, I almost feel a moral obligation to finish.

There is only one book I can remember not finishing, M : The Man Who Became Caravaggio by Peter Robb. Well written, vibrant, the end of the sixteenth century, Caravaggio’s art and a fascinating, tempestuous life- nothing more could one want. Yet, it oddly did not hold me, enough so I could not finish.

I will try listening to Savall’s Lachrimae Caravaggio while reading:

folder

There may be higher readership among audiophiles. A good number of us can listen to music without doing anything else. Thus I suspect there is a higher proportion who can read without simultaenously doing anything else.

2 Likes

I’m an absolute fan of Russel Hoban, anyone else? Started with Amaryllis night and day and then read most of his books for adults (he also wrote children‘s books). When you read his books you think he’s 30-40 while he was 60-80.

Unfortunately he died recently (edit:2011)

My book might help better with insomnia. :slight_smile:

Maybe not 500 pages to be honest.

Still read. I’ve actually come to hate videos (never tried audiobooks) - takes too long, and usually lacks detail - I really appreciate ebooks and eperiodicals. I find I read a lot more now than when I had to go to a bookstore. I also like that my home is no longer stuffed with media (records, books, magazines, etc.). I can live in a smaller house now!

A photo essay for those of us who love books:

Click

Best viewed full screen.

3 Likes

Really impressive!

Somehow it reminded me at churches and religion. A great part of the fascination of what’s happening in churches is the building.

This might not be politically correct…if so, pardon.

There are similarities and analogs, certainly.

There are many, many stunningly gorgeous churches. I have made many specific treks to visit architecturally and culturally significant churches in many places in the world, as well as view the art within.

Many also are the site of wonderful concerts. Some even offer a performance of a full mass (Beethoven, Haydn, etc.) as part of weekly worship. As a student in Salzburg I rarely missed high mass at the cathedral, if only for the magnificent music.

I read, a lot. I have a bookcase of my many-times-read books, all hardcovers.

Wow! Elk, thank you for that wonderful photo essay. I’ll admit, I was curious what was in some of them… I’m going to have to book some trips. (pun intended)