DS DAC Display Issue

I have nudged our international managers to get him working. Sebastian’s a bit of a one man band and can get swamped.

Thanks Paul, wait and see…

Still No information …
Well it seems that Alter really does not care about my problem. They received my Dac june 13th…(purchased May 4th)

I have asked my retailer to try to insist to get them on the phone for some information : a clerk ( Schar simply refuses to answer, I no longer buy the excuse of him being swamped) finally said that they were waiting for a reply from PSAudio before proceeding with a solution …
So now it’s PSAudio’s fault…

Obviously someone is lying.

I’m not sure if all this is a joke or a scam. They certainly hope that I give up with my claim by making me hopeless.

I cannot understand why PSAudio decided to qualify a distributor with no in house technician so that any tech problem cannot be proceeded with. (and who openly despises customers)

Purchasing 3 PSAudio devices at the same time (DSDac, DS drive, NuWave Phono) last May was probably the biggest mistake I have made in my ( already long) audiophile life.

One might say that I should consider myself as a happy guy because the drive and phono preamp haven’t broke down yet.

But after all, who cares ?

Alter Audio answered me yesterday : The DS Dac has been sent to PS Audio for repair. France - US - France for repairing or changing a screen ??? Michel is right : it’s a shame there is no in house technician in France or Europe… I have a hunch it will be a long time before I see my DS Dac again.

This happened to me just recently. I suspect in the end it was due to the software that was left on the memory card from the last firmware upgrade that was never removed after installation. I only saw the problem when I was forced to reboot the DAC (I think some of the installation files became corrupt over time). After many attempts at calibration I finally downloaded a fresh version of the firmware and reinstalled it. The problem vanished, and was able to go through through the recommended calibration procedure.

I’m surprised by that. I would have thought that in order to be appointed as a PS Audio International distributor you would need to have a repair capability and maintain a spare parts holding.

Many repairs would just require a board replacement, and only require a set of screw drivers and the spare part. I mean, hey, the number of my own PS Audio repairs that I’ve completed, of which there have been plenty, required nothing more than the part and a screw driver. Where component level repairs are required (i.e. they don’t have the whole board available to replace, you need to unsolder/solder individual parts, I’ve sent those jobs away to do. Either to the distributor or to PS Audio).

1 Like

I am not sure what is going on or if the information is even correct. Alter Audio routinely repairs PS products when they are in need of repair. As Brodric suggests, to become a PS distributor the organization has to be able to perform repairs and they do.
So too does Alter. Sebastian and his crew do a good job unless there’s some weird circumstances going on.

Sorry Paul, but I must confirm my DS was sent back to PS Audio for repair last year. That was perfectly done, and quickly. I have nothing to say about PS Audio, but good things. On the other hand, my experience with Alter Audio (French distributor) was a disaster and a terrible waste of time.