DS doesn't see bridge update from 3.3.3.

I uploaded redcloud without any problem. Did what I am supposed to do to see see Bridge firmware and update button. It says I have 3.3.3 and the firmware is up to date (Bridge II of course). I thought current was 3.4.5. Any thoughts?? Yes, I recycled, refreshed bridge, My internet connection is good. The DAC is appropriately connected to the network.

Check to make sure that you don’t have Roon (or some other server) actively trying to stream to the DSD. I found if Roon has an active Zone (in Audio Zones it lists an album title playing for the DSD), even if there is nothing actually streaming to the DSD it will somehow lock the Ethernet port and not allow the Bridge to check for updates. This happened to me and once I did the hard power reset of the DSD (back panel power switch) it cleared the Roon Zone (which now shows Nothing Playing as the status) and then the Bridge was able to see the firmware update was available.

I have the exact same problem. After being unable to update the Bridge from the DS screen, I remembered that the mcontrol app on my iPad can also do a Bridge update. I opened mcontrol and went into the device set up screen, and saw a message that the Bridge update server is unavailable.

The network icon on my Bridge screen is green, and I am able to stream music to the Bridge from the NAS connected to my network without issue. If it matters, I have set a static IP address for my Bridge (which is correctly shown on the DS screen).

I don’t use Roon, but I do run BubbleUPNP server on my NAS to create an OpenHome renderer for use with Linn Kazoo as the control point on my iPad. It’s possible that the Bubble server is doing something similar to what Karl describes with Roon since it can control multiple “rooms,” similar to Roon’s zones. I may try turning off Bubble and see what happens. Thanks for the pointer, Karl!

FYI there’s a parallel thread on this very same subject going on “upgrade to 3.4.5”. I and others are experiencing exactly the same problem. The conversation on the other thread is more developed, so check it out…

Excellent advice Karl. I was having exactly the same issue as BreadPolaco. I had even shut down my Roon server and rebooted the DS, all to no avail. Thanks to your suggestion I went a couple of steps further to get the DS and router to completely forget about Roon. I don’t know exactly which steps are necessary, but when I did them all it worked.

1. Disabled the DS in Roon

2. Powered down the Roon server

3. Disconnected the switch I had both my Roon server and the DS hooked up to (I first tried it without doing this, and the DS Bridge still wouldn’t update)

4. Gave the Bridge II a direct Ethernet connection to my router

5. Rebooted my router

6. Rebooted the DS

The bridge then updated without any problem

1. I reconnected everything as it was originally and it works perfectly!

Thanks for the tip Karl.

David Bernat said

FYI there’s a parallel thread on this very same subject going on “upgrade to 3.4.5”. . . . The conversation on the other thread is more developed, so check it out.

That thread is about situations where users have upgraded the Bridge firmware and then the DAC doesn’t see the Bridge, which is a different issue. If I’m not looking at the thread you were thinking of, maybe you could provide a link.

Same issue

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/bridge2-lost-after-upgrade-to-firmware3-4-5/

jbwhite said

Excellent advice Karl. I was having exactly the same issue as BreadPolaco. I had even shut down my Roon server and rebooted the DS, all to no avail. Thanks to your suggestion I went a couple of steps further to get the DS and router to completely forget about Roon. …

I just tried this procedure (again...) and it did not work...again. Granted, my unit is a DSJ and yours may be a Directstream; but regardless, this hasn’t resolved the situation on my equipment.

My Bridge II is in the DS, not the DSJ. I had tried the procedure described in bits and pieces several times with no luck. I’m not certain why it worked the last time, The DS Sr has more commands on the touch screen than the DSJ, and I did mess with the networking buttons on the screen also.

I have had the same problem since previous 2 Bridge II updates, asked PS team to email the file to update eventually.

I don’t use Roon, only Jriver and Bubble.

Not sure if I need to email PS team again…

Success. I contacted PS audio and changed from static address to DHCP. The update loaded with no problem. While in static address, the bridge was functioning as it should so I don’t know if the update requires a dhcp address or if there was something wrong with the way my static address was set up even though it seemed to be functioning properly.

Did you remember to set all your settings when you had a static address?

Not being able to check for an update with a static address but success with a DHCP-assigned one is the exact behavior you’d see if you set a static address but failed to properly set the parameters for default gateway and/or netmask; your Bridge would be able to see your local LAN but wouldn’t be able to get out to the Internet.