DS IPad Control ?

If I install a Bridge into my DS, will the PS Audio IPad APP enable me to control the volume, mute and input selector functions?

I would assume that the Bridge would have to be connected to a WiFi router.

MrDerrick said If I install a Bridge into my DS, will the PS Audio IPad APP enable me to control the volume, mute and input selector functions?

I would assume that the Bridge would have to be connected to a WiFi router.

I am not aware of an iPad app from PS Audio, but the bridge can be selected by their remote and you can mute or change volume there.

I think, and have said before, that integration of ipad/iphone control over the Bridge and DAC would be great.

Imagine streaming Qobuz (and hires services in the future) directly to the Bridge, eliminating everything in between?

The thought of messing about with DLNA, headless macs, raid backups, JRiver and all that mess keeps me on using the Airport Express into my PWD via Toslink controlled by Apple’s Remote. Simple. Neat.

In fact, it was Paul’s series on using the original Apple TV and Remote that got me going this way, and I do suspect was the conceptual basis for the Bridge and elyric to start with!

I left out that the App is for PS Audio’s eLyric.

" eLyric also allows you to control PS Audios PerfectWave DAC and network Bridge based products of all kinds. "

The description does not state what control it allows of the PWD and there is no mention of the DirectStream.

From what I understand, eLyric is no longer supported by PS Audio as far as support and development.

I’m not looking to manage and play my music, I have a Bryston BDP1 and use MPad.

I’d just like to know what controls this App provides for the DAC and if it will work with the DS.

audiobill,

It was also Pauls Apple TV server article that convinced me to try an Apple TV as a music server.

I bought a 160 gb ATV and old POS ( point of sale - not piece of sh*t ) monitor on Ebay.

Best $100 I ever spent!

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I am not aware of any PWD or DS functions that the eLyric app will control so I guess I too do not understand the quote you posted. Afaik it only controls eLyric which of course has it’s own volume control.

rogerdn said Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I am not aware of any PWD or DS functions that the eLyric app will control so I guess I too do not understand the quote you posted. Afaik it only controls eLyric which of course has it's own volume control.
I suspect we have (not for the first time) confusion between the eLyric control point and the eLyric Music Manager (aka EMM). I use the former to control my PWD. This control point does let one select the input, switch the phase in/out, select a filter, and control the volume--in addition, of course, to playing music from UPnP servers.

The DS not have filters like the PWD, so that’s moot. I have read in other threads here that Ted Smith wrote all new software to control this FPGA thing that the DS is built around. So I assume that the other control functions will not work. Perhaps Paul or Ted will confirm this. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I would really like to see an updated eLyric control point that would control input, phase, and volume for the DS. I know that PSA has said that eLyric will no longer be developed, and I understand some of the reasons. Would it be all that difficult to update just these functions (and remove the filter choice)?

My reasons for this are a) other manufacturers of high-end servers/DACs usually provide control points and b) the use of screen real estate in eLyric is the best I have seen. I’ve tried several other control points for iPad and find them all lacking. The great advantage to eLyric is that it places a browse tree at the left, which saves a great deal of tapping. In other control points, I may make 4-6 choices to get the music I want and then have to hit the ‘Back’ button the same number of times to get to the top level again. In eLyric I can jump to another composer or whatever just by using the browse tree. Furthermore, the horizontal layout lets you see a lot more information than you can with other control points. This is particularly useful for classical music, where titles are often longer than in pop albums.

There was just a thread on the MinimServer forum about the best control point for the iPad. The comments there confirm my experience that there aren’t any really good ones except eLyric (unless you have a server that supports the OpenHome extensions). I just ordered a DS a couple of days ago, and plan on continuing to use eLyric to select music, and use the IR remote for other stuff. I would really like to just use my iPad and put the remote away. What about it, Paul?

there are of course I-apps that learn and send IR signals and can replace the hard remote.

magister said

I have read in other threads here that Ted Smith wrote all new software to control this FPGA thing that the DS is built around. So I assume that the other control functions will not work. Perhaps Paul or Ted will confirm this. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I would really like to see an updated eLyric control point that would control input, phase, and volume for the DS. I know that PSA has said that eLyric will no longer be developed, and I understand some of the reasons. Would it be all that difficult to update just these functions (and remove the filter choice)?

Howdy

Your assumption is wrong but I don’t know the answer to your question. I wrote the FPGA code and the lowest level of the PIC (control processor) code to match the interface(s) that the PWD used to control it’s digital and analog cards. The top level PIC code was enhanced/changed by Dennis at PS Audio who also did/does the PWD software. In general tho many things like the code to control the filters was ripped out for the DS I don’t know why other common features (like input select and volume control) wouldn’t work like they always have (unless I touched something I shouldn’t have :slight_smile: I’ve never used any control point software to control the DS (or PWD) so you’ll just have to try it or see if Dennis can verify what does and does not work.

-Ted

“I suspect we have (not for the first time) confusion between the eLyric control point and the eLyric Music Manager (aka EMM). I use the former to control my PWD. This control point does let one select the input, switch the phase in/out, select a filter, and control the volume–in addition, of course, to playing music from UPnP server”

thks, was not aware of the control point.

I just tried the control point (latest iPad version under iOS7, which was problematic at best) and initially was not able to access my DS. The PWD icon (the DS upgrade did not change the DAC’s name) was grayed out. I then tried an old version on an original iPad running iOS 5 and it did work, sort of, including the volume control. I say “sort of” because the volume control sometimes got stuck. I was using JRMC 19 on a Mac as the server as I no longer have eLyric running anywhere (although I could change that, of course). I then went back to my newer iPad with the current control point and this time I could select my DS and control it’s volume, source, and phase. As I recall, people had a lot of problems with this version and I don’t think they all got fixed. It may work well enough for you (you might also use it to control the functionality of the DS while using something else to play music). Note that my testing was very brief and I have no idea if this app can be used reliably. It was only $10 or so so you might want to experiment.

Thanks, Steve. This makes me hopeful that I can continue to use the eLyric control point when my DS arrives next month. I still have a first-gen iPad, so I never upgraded to iOS7 – a good thing, probably, in this situation.

magister said Thanks, Steve. This makes me hopeful that I can continue to use the eLyric control point when my DS arrives next month. I still have a first-gen iPad, so I never upgraded to iOS7 -- a good thing, probably, in this situation.
But did you upgrade your eLylic iPad app? I'm not clear if the problems were with iOS7, the newer eLyric app, or both. I have to keep remembering not to hit the "update all" button on my iPad 1 so that I don't overwrite the old app (even though I don't really use it anymore). Anyway, if you're happy with the way it works now there is a good chance it will work the same way with the DS. Let us know when you get yours.
stevem2 said I just tried the control point (latest iPad version under iOS7, which was problematic at best) and initially was not able to access my DS.
Steven, is your latest an Air ? On mine I have 2.1.1, don't know if this is latest, and can see my NAS and several DTv things but not my DS, not even gray ed out.

I have been using Mconnect lately and it’s pretty good.

stevem2 said

But did you upgrade your eLylic iPad app?

No, because the updated eLyric control point requires iOS7, which first-gen iPads cannot take. I have also backed up my iPad to my computer, and then made a second copy of the eLyric app file elsewhere. So if I ever do lose the older version I can restore it – a strategy I recommend in case one hits that “Upgrade all” button out of habit.

Paul McGowan said I have been using Mconnect lately and it's pretty good.
Thanks, Paul, I hadn't heard of this one. The screenshots in the App Store look promising, but unfortunately it requires iOS6 or later so it's a non-starter for a first-gen iPad (limited to iOS5). The search continues for the perfect control point . . .

magister, my iPad1 is running 2.0.9.3 and keeps telling me there is an update available. The App store says the latest eLyric version is compatible with iOS4 and higher so it does not require iOS7 (it may be that the issues are worse with iOS7 but, at the time the latest version was released, people (well, at least one person but it might have been more; my memory fails me) reported problems with it even under iOS5.

rogerdn, my latest iPad is an iPad3 and it is running eLyric 2.1.1, which is the latest. I no longer rush out to get the latest iPad when it comes out (or even every other iPad). As I said, I initially could not connect to my DS but it worked after I connected on my iPad1 (which may have been coincidental). eLyric often had problems connecting and if you keep trying you may eventually be able to connect. You might try rebooting everything and the first thing I would try is to fully quit eLyric and turn the iPad completely off and back on before restarting it.

Mconnect;

Pos: Sleek and clean interface. I like the colors.

Cons: Unstable, crashes. Looses the renderer, feedback missing at times.

My other app is dead stable.

Post note:

The crashes might be associated with trying to play non-supported audio formats (same as 8Player).

stevem2 said magister, my iPad1 is running 2.0.9.3 and keeps telling me there is an update available. The App store says the latest eLyric version is compatible with iOS4 and higher so it does not require iOS7 (it may be that the issues are worse with iOS7 but, at the time the latest version was released, people (well, at least one person but it might have been more; my memory fails me) reported problems with it even under iOS5.
My apologies; now I remember that I read in these forums about the problems that people were having and so I chose not to upgrade. Earlier today I thought it was because of iOS7 requirements. I also own an iPad Air, so I get confused sometimes between it and my old one, which lives in the music room.